Adding Wireless Wheel Switches - FreeWheel instal

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
mynamesnotbob

Adding Wireless Wheel Switches - FreeWheel instal

Post by mynamesnotbob » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:55 am

A few people have asked about the wireless wheel I mentioned on the Atom, so here's some more info.
Its been done on a Nomad I believe, but wasn't sure if it was different on an Atom 4 as the dash has changed, so I thought I would give it a go

So, why do it?
  • Don't look a numpty driving along for a mile with your indicator on - easy access and self cancelling
  • If you are about to be crushed by Gary in his SUV, make sure you can easily get to something to get his attention - horn on the front of the wheel much easier to get to
So with this in mind, I decided to add the some indicators, horn and main beam flash to my wheel - to make them easier to get to, and indicators self cancelling

I didn’t want to move anything, just add to it, and I didn’t want to modify wiring - so all of this was done with 100% reversibility should anyone in the future want to remove

So I looked around for various kits, Raptors, AiM to match dash and Freewheel from KitCar electronics - The raptor kit I couldn't get any info on, AiM I needed to pipe through the dash which on the Atom 4 dash would be a hassle due to is being an MXSL but being locked down. So Freewheel won out, especially as they were happy to talk and I could configure how I want

So this is their kit - I went for two kits, one an 8 channel, but played with the 10 channel - over the next year I am looking at using rotary encoders and changing stuff in ECU over CAN. That's for the future as I've barely looked at engine mananagement changes, and may even experiment in another car first with the same engine as a test bed

https://blinkstop.co.uk/shop/freewheel

Anyway the controls I wanted were:
  • Indicators
  • Main beam Flash
  • Main Beam On
  • Horn
  • Aux Power to run my cameras
I did not go for a prebuilt kit because a) I seem to pick the hard way b) I wanted a custom carbon plate to match the dash and fit 6 buttons, rather than 4 or 8

A simpler solution is to go for a 4 channel prebuilt, bolt the plate on doing the receiver and good to go

So how to wire - the switches on the dash are just simple on off affairs, and use 6.3mm spade/pushlock fittings which make them a doddle to work with, the exception is the horn which uses a TE Micro Quadlock. The aim was to add the Freewheel as 'spares' to all of the needed switches, so if I want left indicator, I flick either the toggle on the dash or button on my wheel - job jobbed, as long is one or both is on, the circuit works

The freewheel just replicates these switches as said, it contains relays that are good to 20amp, so plenty of capacity as the switches fire relays anyway. Piggybacked the factory switches with these splices, keeping the factory switches in place and these mirroring them. It would be easier to use quick connects, but I'm never a fan of those - removal leaves nicks in the wire, and they just look cheap

The extra functionality of the free wheel lets you:
Set latching or non latching - i.e. press for on, again for off OR press and hold for on
Indicator functionality - hit once to turn indicator on and it switches off after X seconds, brake pedal input (pauses indicator count down, so if sitting at junction with indictor on the indicator will not self cancel whilst on the brake), pulse for indicator (not needed on our cars)

The loom for the receiver box (car side) connects up on an Ampseal connector, with a pair for each switch (16 wires total), a power pair and a brake signal. There is also spare signals for high low headlight switching for kit cars, but not needed on ours.

So tidy up the loom, you could just tape it but who doesn't want a nice concentric twist (it does make life easier), twist was 6 x 22awg core, 12 x 22awg main, 3 x 22awg tail wrap

Initial twist

Final twist

Terminated and sleeved, with abrasion proof coating, I didn't DR-25 it as I know I will pull apart again later

Control box then mounted behind dash

loom added and looped back to dash:

Connectors then tapped factory switches into with the splices, brake switch is just above drivers feet again with TE 6.3 connectors, and I tapped into the low power Aux power to power it - so it comes on with ignition.

Then the wheel plate, I worked out a few with wood templates

Before picking final design:

I then recreated in carbon fibre, and included spacer to clear the alcantara, and push the wheel out a bit - in total it spaced the wheel 13mm closer to me, perfect! I needed to replace the titanium bolts with longer versions

The transmitter box is powered by a single battery, and has pairs for each switch - I pulled it all out so I could twist the loom:

Then twisted with take offs at each point

Test fit with a trial carbon plate, wires moved into position to validate fit

All good with final version

Then hooked in laptop and configured the following:

Chan 1 and 2: Indicator, with 20 sec self cancel and brake pedal interrupt
Chan 3 and 4: not used
Chan 5 - Main Beam Flash (non latching)
Chan 6 - Main Beam On (latching)
Chan 7 - Horn (non Latching)
Chan 8 - power to Camera (non latching)

All wires a up and working - simple

I will remove the sticker, it was spare from elsewhere and thought I'd give it a whirl

Next step was to add additional USB power sockets, that are powered by my switch on the wheel - this then switches on USB powers, cameras detect and switch on and start recording. Press switch again, power dies, and cameras stop recording and shut down. This power was run from the battery tray while I had the nose off for other stuff, leaving a spate

It all works perfectly and I much prefer it, it just makes life easier to have the normal controls at fingertip reach. Nothing interferes with controls, and it all just switches on when you switch on ignition. And you can even play with lights from your living room if that floats your boat

If you pretty much always track your car, I doubt its much use. If you drive on the road a fair amount, then its proven pretty useful so far.

Install time if you don't make your own plate, twist looms and all that pedantic stuff would only be a few hours. These cars a great to work on, simple well built kit all over the place

Jamier27

Re: Adding Wireless Wheel Switches - FreeWheel instal

Post by Jamier27 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:34 am

You are some kind of wizard!

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:43 am

Jamier27 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:34 am You are some kind of wizard!
Totally agree, but what a brilliant upgrade. We all should have it - can we book in?

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:25 pm

Excelent write up!
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:57 pm

Guessing you’re some kind of electronics engineer as a day job - that’s a most professional installation !

Thanks for posting this.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:16 pm

Thanks chaps, its just connecting a few bits and if others find it useful then all good - install should be the same on most Atoms and Nomads.

[mention]John Scherrer[/mention] No not electronics engineer, just build cars, or have a mod project on the go along all the associated gubbins for fun and get carried away being picky on installs!

r7wsc

Post by r7wsc » Wed May 11, 2022 9:20 am

Great write up and 'how to' :-)

I love the little splices to make it less permanent, too!

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Wed May 11, 2022 3:10 pm

Very neatly done 👍

The USB power is run to this box and then to the back of the car for the camera or am I missing something?
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Wed May 11, 2022 4:17 pm

robfitz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:10 pm Very neatly done 👍

The USB power is run to this box and then to the back of the car for the camera or am I missing something?
I took an Aux feed from the battery box where there was a spare connection, switched it through a relay triggered by the wheel control which then powered 4 additional USB ports - with all the cameras auto recording on USB power. I keep meaning to write it up as I've had several messages about the powering and the mounting. Could be useful to share properly

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Wed May 11, 2022 4:18 pm

r7wsc wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:20 am Great write up and 'how to' :-)

I love the little splices to make it less permanent, too!
Its not necessary I know, but where possible I prefer to make things reversible, easier later down the line!

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Thu May 12, 2022 12:56 pm

robfitz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:10 pm Very neatly done 👍

Guide to the USB power and other camera drivel added HERE