Nomad R

Jerry

Re: Nomad R

Post by Jerry » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 pm

Karl V wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:07 am I am very excited, don't get me wrong!

I guess I was initially looking at the R as a 'new model' or 'derivative' like the 3.5R was to the 3.5, but it's actually more of a 'limited edition' with many parts that haven't been seen in the Ariel build bays for what - over a year now? (not sure when the last Nomad / Atom 3.5 left the yard).

I'll be honest, I was hoping to see the new Atom 4 dash, AP Brakes, updated light clusters, maybe the Atom 4 zorst box, some different wheels maybe - the kinda thing that would allow us Nomad nuts to get excited about the future of the car's direction with some 'sneak previews' of what's to come. I'd even settle for some of those dodgy spy shots in urban camouflage ;)

But... It's great to see Nomads back in the news again! And with a flappy paddle gearbox :drool:

Well jel that I won't have one and am hoping to one day see one in the flesh!

And if we want controversy... I'd have a Nomad over an Atom every day of the week :fence:
Karl, my Nomad is about ready for collection. You are kind of taking the wind out of my sails. You are saying Nomad 2 is around the corner? Dam, I hope not.

BTW, I like the idea of a sequential box, wonder if it can be retrofitted.

Anyway here is a picture courtesy of Henry:

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:56 pm

The sequential box will be the nuts on a car like this, you can keep both hands on the steering wheel whilst going sideways on gravel/mud/tarmac/hedges!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:57 pm

Oh Jerry, looks stunning!! There’s always a new model around the corner. Bigger, heavier, more safe, oh and with reversing cameras too

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Jerry wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 pm Karl, my Nomad is about ready for collection. You are kind of taking the wind out of my sails. You are saying Nomad 2 is around the corner? Dam, I hope not.
It's a bit of a strange one this... I'm not sure they're running out of the 2.4 engines, but they may. But here's the thing that suggests it may not - there's currently a 2.5 year waiting list for Atoms. If they then launch a new Nomad, even the first person in the queue will be waiting 2.5 years, and subsequent orders of both Atoms and Nomads will then be stretched out to perhaps 3-4 years. I suspect that may put a lot of people off.

Also, don't feel bad about your Nomad. Even if the new one comes out with a more powerful engine, new dash, new suspension arrangement etc... will you really really be able to the difference when driving it? And if you can, is that difference big enough to wait another 2.5 years for without a Nomad? I don't think so in either case.
Jerry wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 pm BTW, I like the idea of a sequential box, wonder if it can be retrofitted.
I suspect so, albeit they normally cost £15-20K so if you've that sort of wonga sloshing around, why not.
Jerry wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 pm Anyway here is a picture courtesy of Henry:
That looks awesome, what colour for the whip? Red?

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:08 pm

phil4 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:58 pm That looks awesome, what colour for the whip? Red?
Hi Phil and CAG3D,

Great comments guys, really looking forward to collecting the Nomad and joining the Ariel family.

I chickened to on the whip and went for white, wanted red, but thought I may have been pulled with red.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Anyway here is a picture courtesy of Henry:

Techies must be stressed with all the workload - that guy in the background is on the methylated spirits .. ;D
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Jerry wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 pm Karl, my Nomad is about ready for collection. You are kind of taking the wind out of my sails. You are saying Nomad 2 is around the corner? Dam, I hope not.
Nooooo... Don't feel deflated! You will love the car, it's an amazing machine!

I've had mine for 2 years now and swapped the seats that came with it originally to the 'new Atom 4' seats (which are now standard in the Nomad too).

I was hoping to see if there were any 'upgrades' that came with the R that I could consider pinching for mine (wheels, new mirrors maybe, updated light clusters, that kinda thing) but of course, if it's not broken... Rumour has it that the 'proximity sensor / immobiliser fob' thing can be retrofitted, but I must admit, I haven't bothered with that add-on (yet).

Don't know about the Nomad 2. AutoCar did say "A proper Nomad v2.0 will arrive at some point", but who knows when...

More pics when you get the car please Jerry :tu:

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:47 pm

I think that is hugely desirable - looks like it would be an absolute blast.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:07 pm

The biggest problem (literally) Ariel face with a Nomad 2 is the engine. The new one is huge. I guess it could be a similar scenario to the Atom 4, where virtually all the components are new.

Or not, who knows? But I do know the engine size is "a thing".

Cheers,
Hedge

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:11 pm

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:22 pm

It's a cracking looking car!

I must admit, we were so busy yesterday getting Ariel's Press Release together and adding it to the Club's website, that we forgot to mention on the forum that you can see Ariel's announcement here. And their Press pics here.

:drool:

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:49 am

Fess up, who on here has one on order?

I know of 2...

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:00 am

I’d like to go out in one! I would imagine it feels very different to our ‘R’s. I guess only 4 for sale, as one is the Press car, and they tend to hold on to them.....

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:33 am

Know, I would have had one, in lieu of my present build. Always fancied a sequential box. Looking to get one when I had a 6R4.

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:15 pm

The ‘R’s are ready early next year, nice way to ‘jump’ the queue