Atom 4 - Spec and Discussion

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
markwetherall

Atom 4 - Spec and Discussion

Post by markwetherall » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 am

Well I have finally managed to have a look at the car and also have had a drive in it thanks to Henry.

Firstly what I will say is bloody hell its quick, I mean really quick. It would absolutely leave a 3.5 S/C standing in its wake. You will need to make sure you start getting stronger neck muscles you will need them. So much torque and speed.

It is a lot more stable than the 3 I used to have, much less rattles around the car, the dash looks great, the seats are perfect for a fat middle aged bloke who does not want to try and get into a Lotus or Caterham due to his dignity. Really supportive and far better than the 3's

The sounds take a bit of getting used to, but really add character to the car. I will miss the scream of the supercharger but beleive me when I say the turbo noises do make the car very enjoyable and you wont care about the supercharger. I even had a clause on my order form about the noise if I didnt like it. However it is good fun and I will be buying it

I personally think if you have the 350Bhp upgrade added, the 3.5R like for like spec would be left in its wake. The larger wheels, far superior traction, huge amount of torque and of course better frame and setup would completely obliterate the 3.5r.

As and when the 4R comes out add wings and gearbox and good by records, even the records set by the V8 will be broken. Top of the Top Gear lap times, Evo Lap times etc without doubt will be smashed it is that good

One thing I will say, dont moan about the noise until you have been in one, dont even contimplate the speed until you have been in one. The price stop moaning about what it costs, thank god they make enough money from the 3.5's, the 3.5r's so they can bring out the 4. WHAT A CAR well done Ariel

phil4

Re: Atom 4

Post by phil4 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:53 pm

We've heard this a few times, and it has me really puzzled.

Before you think I'm bashing the 4, I'm not, I hope in the not too distant to have one.... no, this is genuine puzzlement.

The new car has 320bhp, which is roughly 10 more than the outgoing SC. It's also a bit heavier than the old car.

How then is it so much faster? Leaving it in it's wake etc?

I realise that with the revised suspension and stiffer chassis it shouldn't squat and dive so much, shouldn't chase the imperfections in the road, and so be a more settled car... but how is it so much faster?

And to clarify, we're not discussing it being a few tenths of a second quicker to 60, everyone has said this is a lot faster. How is that? (And if we are talking 10th of seconds, why is it not markedly faster in the numbers game?)

DB Atom

Post by DB Atom » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:36 pm

phil4 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:53 pm We've heard this a few times, and it has me really puzzled.

Before you think I'm bashing the 4, I'm not, I hope in the not too distant to have one.... no, this is genuine puzzlement.

The new car has 320bhp, which is roughly 10 more than the outgoing SC. It's also a bit heavier than the old car.

How then is it so much faster? Leaving it in it's wake etc?

I realise that with the revised suspension and stiffer chassis it shouldn't squat and dive so much, shouldn't chase the imperfections in the road, and so be a more settled car... but how is it so much faster?

And to clarify, we're not discussing it being a few tenths of a second quicker to 60, everyone has said this is a lot faster. How is that? (And if we are talking 10th of seconds, why is it not markedly faster in the numbers game?)
I think most of the comments are purely based on 'seat-of-the-pants' judgement. I had Steve take me out in the car yesterday.

My impression is that because it has huge mid range power that means it can make serious progress without hammering through the rev range. So not sure if or how much quicker it is in real terms, but no doubt that you get from A to B very quickly without flooring it everywhere. The two things that grabbed me though were, the lower seating position along with the framework sitting higher around you made me feel very cocooned. The second standout feature was the fantastic feel that the suspension seemed to give me (from the passenger seat), or maybe it was those carbon wheels and not the two way Bilsteins that made all the difference!

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:43 pm

The reason for the pace is the incredible torque and the way the frame handles it. The old engine would take ages to get to the sweet zone where’s as the new engine the torque is there instantly. It’s soooooo much fun. All I can say is go and try it and it will re define what you think about an atom. It really is a huge jump from the 3.5 in everything it does and the way it does it. It really is a massive jump. Cannot wait until the press stick it around a track next year and really find out how much quicker it is. I recon around Anglesey it will be 2-3 seconds quicker than a 3.5sc at least maybe even knocking on the door of a 3.5r times. Go and try one when you get chance is the best advice I can give

smokin

Post by smokin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:14 pm

I've trawled back through many pages of this great thread but couldn't work out - has anyone here driven this beast or is it still the preserve of the factory and we only get to be a passenger?

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:27 pm

The latter - Something to do with not being insured ?

- not exactly sure why this is the case as we could always drive the earlier cars - provided it wasn't wet !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

DB Atom

Post by DB Atom » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 pm

John Scherrer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:27 pm The latter - Something to do with not being insured ?

- not exactly sure why this is the case as we could always drive the earlier cars - provided it wasn't wet !
Not sure the factory want to risk (without having an employee to blame/sack) anyone bending the 1 available car, especially if as has been stated the other one is currently being worked on or in pieces. Secondly there is more chance that someone driving it might say something negative and its too early for them to risk that type of behaviour ;)

smokin

Post by smokin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:44 pm

Ah ok, thanks John, the differing feedback here makes more sense to me now. My car has never seemed faster than when someone else was behind its wheel with me in the passenger seat. I think we'll need to be in the driving seat to make a fair comparison

:fence:

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:03 pm

smokin wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:44 pm Ah ok, thanks John, the differing feedback here makes more sense to me now. My car has never seemed faster than when someone else was behind its wheel with me in the passenger seat. I think we'll need to be in the driving seat to make a fair comparison

:fence:
That was my theory too... that being a passenger, and a driver who knows the cars and roads well, would lead you to believe it's really fast.

Once you get to drive, and are in control, it'll seem a little more tame, and once you're on road you know, you'll have a much better idea of how much quicker it is.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:58 pm

I agree completely. When someone else drives the lack of control makes everything seem faster. I have no doubt mid range the 4 will destroy a lower torque 2ltr. However if you work the older cars into the vtec zone the difference will be small as per the small extra power. I think the new car will be a huge step up on the road for normal driving. Much more flexible and easy to drive quickly. But on track less so as you are always in the top of the Rev range. Cornering should be improved by the new geo but how much depends massively on the driver and conditions etc.

It's is interesting that I have never wanted more mid range on the road. I am happy with low revs normal and hyper ballistic top end when required. It's the Jekyll and Hyde character of the older cars. Now it will be a completely different character. Very fast from 3k rpm onwards rather than from 5-6k.

I am excited to try one but I will reserve full judgement until I can drive one personally on road and track.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

DB Atom

Post by DB Atom » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:19 pm

Both cars will and are brilliant in their own right, but both I think (only having been a passenger in a 4) are quite different. Still not sure that I am personally ready for and want a more stable, less frenetic easier to drive car with driver aids (sacrilege). Some people however will very much want that and unless I want to always drive an older car I might just have to come to love those virtues too. Lucky to have such choices :vroom:

Maybe having supercharged and turbo version in the same garage is the answer.

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Funny enough it was all that sort of softer easier to drive less edgy while still ballistic and thrilling nature that attracted me to the 4. I always wanted an Atom but never pulled the trigger but when I read the 4 reviews, I just put my name down. I don’t own but have driven and loved what I think was a 2 supercharged on track. The thing is, as was hilariously mentioned in another thread about whether Atom is a religion, and someone asserted that they have seen God in theirs, I have seen God in cars with driver aids and driver friendly setups. I’m actually if somewhat reluctant to admit (I’m coming out here, bear with me) quite in favour of some driver aids and not being an inch from God all the time. I can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:14 pm

DB Atom wrote:....

Maybe having supercharged and turbo version in the same garage is the answer.
This tbh. :-) I'd have a Nomad too just because. The inevitable Nomad turbo will be Epic! Looking forward to that. Will suite the additional torque and mid range perfectly.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Som

Post by Som » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:05 pm

New article in TG:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/best-2 ... eight-year

some cool photos as well.

Happpy New Year :tu:

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Saw that posted in F'book.

This bit:
But a turbo comes with caveats. Lag. Noise. The Atom doesn’t quite manage to give both a full swerve. Lag is there at low revs, and although negligible above 4,000rpm it never has the raw urgency, the instant savage kick that the old supercharged motor had. Nor does it have the same buzzsaw wail that made the Atom 3 sound like a manic motorised mosquito. Now it’s Darth Vader on laughing gas, this frantic gaseous sucking and blowing. It’s good, and you can play tunes, get Darth all riled up and then back him off into a ‘Moon River’ moment, but it’s not stellar.
Is more than a little worrying. And until we get to drive one ourselves its impossible to detect the lag from the passenger seat! :(