Noisy rear suspension

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
iSeward

Noisy rear suspension

Post by iSeward » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:07 pm

Hello,

I seem to have noisy joint at the top of the rear strut. Is the a way of servicing the joint or lubricating? It doesn't seem to have much range of motion and I'm wondering if the lubrication is worn off after 7xxx miles.

Any tips or tricks appreciated.

Thanks!

Fastlane

Re: Noisy rear suspension

Post by Fastlane » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:45 am

I take it you mean the suspension pushrod that attaches the rear wishbone to the bellcrank via two small 3/8 rod ends (the top one is a right hand thread and the bottom is a left hand thread)? Or do you mean the top wishbone rod end that attaches to the top of the rear hub via a 5/8 rod end? Either way, if the rod end is making the noise, then the PTFE that lines and lubricates the ball joint is worn out and so the only option is replacement I'm afraid. They are a service part and can certainly go after 7000 miles, especially if the car has been tracked.

The 3/8 rod ends are around £30 and the larger rod ends (5/8) are around £50 from the factory - all are made by Aurora. You can replace them yourself, but I would ring the factory first and get their advice on how to do it. You can buy the rod ends elsewhere for a few quid cheaper, but personally I'd say to order direct from the factory as they will ensure you get the correct one.

One of my steering rod ends has started to rattle (after 17k miles) and so I will be ordering one from the factory and hopefully replacing it myself this week.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

iSeward

Post by iSeward » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:06 pm

I think its neither option you mentioned. I think it's the top mounting point of the shock where it mounts to the frame right behind the driver (LHD).

The car has been tracked a few times so I'm sure it has some wear.

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:00 pm

iSeward,

Is it a bush in the damper, that connects the damper to the chassis?

If it is, we have replacements of these on the shelf - they are fairly easy to replace and fairly inexpensive. Give us a call at the factory if you need prices / advice!

Chriscov88

Post by Chriscov88 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:42 pm

Can you post a video of it? I have a 'creak' on the front end that I haven't figured out yet

iSeward

Post by iSeward » Sun May 26, 2019 6:25 pm

Here's a short video. It's hard to see what's moving because I'm holding the camera while compressing the suspension. This leads to terrible video stability. I'll see if I can set up the phone on the ground and take another video.

I'm open to suggestions on angles.