Nomad R

phil4

Re: Nomad R

Post by phil4 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:35 am

I think a good percentage of Nomad owners upgrade the suspension, either to Fox or Ohlins, as they offer more adjustability and a better ride.

Are the Bilsteins bad? no, but the Ohlins are a lot better... and I really can't see the sense in spending £70K+ and not speccing the Ohlins.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:43 am

Here's some useful info on the Ohlins :-

https://www.ariel.club/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17519

To get the full forum history on Nomads with Ohlins, try typing these 2 words Nomad Ohlins into the search bar - there's a lot of threads to read on the subject.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:55 am

I’m going Ohlins on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:19 am

Valey80 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:23 am So I'm heading down to the factory this coming weekend (weather looks good for it!) and spending some time with Henry who I'm sure will be able to explain things better than anyone - but I wanted to pose the question - Bilstein (comes with them as standard) or upgrade to the Ohlins?
In my world both are fabulous dampers - but what are the real benefits of the upgrade?
Any thoughts out there?
Thanks
I went out in both the old Nomad demonstrators one after the other to see the difference between the shocks and NA to supercharger. The adjustable bilsteins whilst good didn't feel as nice as the Ohlins IMO. Only issue with the Ohlins is the shear number of settings to play with which can make it difficult to dial them in to your preference.

Whereabouts in the midlands are you based? It would be good to see another Nomad on the road around here.

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am

That’s my only concern, that there is 6,498 different settings.

Valey80

Post by Valey80 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:36 am

I'm based just outside Redditch, Worcestershire
Sounds like Ohlins then...!

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:39 am

CAG3D wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am That’s my only concern, that there is 6,498 different settings.

The handbook has several different suggestions for different conditions which work quite well. I found the road settings a bit bouncy on the rear over larger bumps so I've started playing with it.
Valey80 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:36 am I'm based just outside Redditch, Worcestershire
I'm based out near Warwick and I meet another owner last year who is also near by (Southam I think?).

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:00 am

Ohlins all the way, just get the best shocks you can afford/want to pay. Although I am speaking from Atom experience I can imagine the Nomad is no different. Resale will be better with Ohlins also.

Valey80

Post by Valey80 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:59 am

nfcf wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:39 am
CAG3D wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am That’s my only concern, that there is 6,498 different settings.

The handbook has several different suggestions for different conditions which work quite well. I found the road settings a bit bouncy on the rear over larger bumps so I've started playing with it.
Valey80 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:36 am I'm based just outside Redditch, Worcestershire
I'm based out near Warwick and I meet another owner last year who is also near by (Southam I think?).
Fantastic - not far at all! I've never seen another on the road at all, so once I'm in (Spring 2021) then any excuse to get out and about will be taken!

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:44 pm

Hey, when are you thinking of taking ownership of your R?

NGoodman

Post by NGoodman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Ariel family, though been long time fan thanks to my very good friend, some of you know Alan P. We had the best road trip I've ever encountered with him to Sicily five years back in his old Atom 3 and we used it for my wedding car (Alan was best man), think we did the most miles with an Atom in single day.

I'm very lucky also to be one of five for the R, and like the other four I'm sure, I'm just so excited and can't wait to spec the car soon and burn up some tarmac next March, I love Alan's current car and gearbox just makes it so special.

I've been reading with interest on here the options / info from you all and had to get involved. I can't seem to stop thinking of all the specs every day, thinking I'm getting obsessed with the prospect of all the fun it will deliver. Really keen to follow the specs of the other four cars and see what people go for, each one will be very special no doubt.

I look forward to attending some club days in near future. Neil
Nomad R, 991.2 Turbo Cab, Macan Turbo and Fiat 500 Riva edition

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:15 pm

Hi Neil, that’s all of us then....? Valey80. Yourself, I’ve got one and Steve, my business partner (who’s yet to join the club).
Have you decided on frame colour yet?

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:19 pm

I spoke to Henry about changing the gear ratio, as I felt it too short geared for the road, what did you think?
Where are you planning on taking it?

Corky

Post by Corky » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Hi
I am from Hanbury in Worcestershire. Love to meet up when you get your Nomad R, Atom 4 on order, delivery end of the year.

Karl.
Atom 4
Porsche 992 GTS

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:47 am

NGoodman wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm new to Ariel family, though been long time fan thanks to my very good friend, some of you know Alan P. We had the best road trip I've ever encountered with him to Sicily five years back in his old Atom 3 and we used it for my wedding car (Alan was best man), think we did the most miles with an Atom in single day.

I'm very lucky also to be one of five for the R, and like the other four I'm sure, I'm just so excited and can't wait to spec the car soon and burn up some tarmac next March, I love Alan's current car and gearbox just makes it so special.

I've been reading with interest on here the options / info from you all and had to get involved. I can't seem to stop thinking of all the specs every day, thinking I'm getting obsessed with the prospect of all the fun it will deliver. Really keen to follow the specs of the other four cars and see what people go for, each one will be very special no doubt.

I look forward to attending some club days in near future. Neil
Welcome, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new toy.

Off topic, but I own Alan's old Atom and I have a few photos of the car in Sicily and of the big day. It's just passed 20k miles now, 5k miles with me in the last 2 years. I'm hopefully seeing Alan next month when I take it up to the factory for its annual service.

Cheers.

Tim.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range