Re: European trip - Sunday 25 August to Thursday 5 September 2019

Where driving is the aim of the game
GraemeW

Re: European trip - Sunday 25 August to Thursday 5 September 2019

Post by GraemeW » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Again, a placeholder for our European trip in 2019, so those who would like to join us can plan it early.

We did northern Spain and Portugal in 2017 and Italy in 2018. Despite planning it all and producing the routes for Italia 2018, unfortunately i couldn't go this year. So for 2019 I may suggest a re-run for this who missed Italia 2018, or propose a new trip.

The trip will be between 10 and 14 days.

A leading contender (and a 14 day trip) is the Swiss Alps (repeat of part of Italia 2018), into the Austrian Alps, do the Grossglockner then down into the Italian Dolomites, back through northern Italy, French Alps and home. I will begin planning this trip early in 2019

I would be keen to explore the possibility suggested before on facebook, of combining with a Nomad trip. ie we meet somewhere in the Alps then the Atoms stick to the tarmac and the alpine passes, whilst the Nomads head off road with someone like Roger K or Art? We can drive together on some roads then split up then meet again somewhere. Very much a mix and match. I have spoken to some Nomad owners about this and will raise with Roger and Art as well

Anon

Re: European trip - 24 August to 7 September 2019

Post by Anon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Do you normally drive the Atoms over there?

rowmrob

Post by rowmrob » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Why not
Attachments
Italy2018 066.jpg
Italy2018 066.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3185 times
Italy2018 068.jpg
Italy2018 068.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 3185 times

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:45 pm

I’ve only done one euro trip. To Spain and Portugal. Ferry and drive. But thinking of trailering my car to Switzerland to save time and start from there. Just need somewhere to store trailer and tow car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:32 pm

GraemeW wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:45 pm I’ve only done one euro trip. To Spain and Portugal. Ferry and drive. But thinking of trailering my car to Switzerland to save time and start from there. Just need somewhere to store trailer and tow car

I will probably do the same. To save the Atom on miles and makes more sense to do it this way. As you say though, the challenge will be to find somewhere to store the trailer and car. The other benefit is you could trailer it to Spa direct and have some slicks in the car.

wasp

Post by wasp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:58 am

Just as an option, a few years ago we drove our cars to Dusseldorf and got the Motorbahn Train to Verona.

From there we did the Lakes and Swiss Passes, then got the train back again to Dusseldorf.

I wouldn't call the train the height of luxury but it saved 1,000 miles on the car and us.

Trailering is still a better option imo and once bought, trailers lose very little money.

Cheers,
Stu

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Should anyone decide that they would like to buy a new trailer for their Atom or Nomad I would really recommend a 'bespoke' trailer from PRG Trailers Ltd (Richard Proudlove) http://www.prgtrailers.co.uk/products/t ... eavertail/ - I also think that the same spec would probably be good for Nomads as well?

Below is the spec that I had built :

New PRG Beavertail special build braked trailer - 3000KG Gross capacity
3650mm x 2130mm, twin axle on 10" wheels with overrun & parking brakes
Hydraulic tilt bed
Reduced Beavertail for best loading angle for an Ariel Atom - Includes Winch, Spare wheel & Tow hitch lock (Winch fitted on the NS of the trailer)
Lodeck Beavertail punched metal decking with open centre (I didn't think that the industrial boarding option would stand up to the Cyprus sun!!)
2.5m punched metal loading ramps
Draw bar length = 4ft

Comes with full LED lighting (13 pin 'twist' connector EU plug - all services)

It is absolutely superb but was not particularly cheap at nearly £5000 (full metal deck spec - other options are cheaper)

- however I find that I can tow it, because it is a twin wheeled trailer, with no stability issues whatsoever as very 'respectable' ;) speeds, with my Atom facing forwards - provided that it is loaded as far forward as possible on the trailer.

- having towed it with both of my Honda CRVs with my Atom facing both backwards and forwards I have discovered that the fuel consumption of the towing car is about 12% - 15% better if the Atom is towed facing forwards - who said that the Atom has no aero?!
Attachments
IMG_20180609_130022 Reduced .jpg
IMG_20180609_130022 Reduced .jpg (4.19 MiB) Viewed 3120 times
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

dunny

Post by dunny » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Now you tell us!
I suspect i could get 2 cars on mine .I will do some measuring!!

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:29 pm

GraemeW wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:45 pm I’ve only done one euro trip. To Spain and Portugal. Ferry and drive. But thinking of trailering my car to Switzerland to save time and start from there. Just need somewhere to store trailer and tow car

I would suggest looking for a friendly golf club in the area, offer them a few Euros. They normally have plenty of space in their gounds. Would get pissy if we parked on the 18th green though ;D

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:25 pm

This is probably what I will end up getting: http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/2018Q2_SHUT_UK_V1_2.pdf

I want an enclosed trailer that can act as storage as well as a trailer.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:39 pm

autobackup wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 pm Should anyone decide that they would like to buy a new trailer for their Atom or Nomad I would really recommend a 'bespoke' trailer from PRG Trailers Ltd (Richard Proudlove) http://www.prgtrailers.co.uk/products/t ... eavertail/ - I also think that the same spec would probably be good for Nomads as well?

Below is the spec that I had built :

New PRG Beavertail special build braked trailer - 3000KG Gross capacity
3650mm x 2130mm, twin axle on 10" wheels with overrun & parking brakes
Hydraulic tilt bed
Reduced Beavertail for best loading angle for an Ariel Atom - Includes Winch, Spare wheel & Tow hitch lock (Winch fitted on the NS of the trailer)
Lodeck Beavertail punched metal decking with open centre (I didn't think that the industrial boarding option would stand up to the Cyprus sun!!)
2.5m punched metal loading ramps
Draw bar length = 4ft

Comes with full LED lighting (13 pin 'twist' connector EU plug - all services)

It is absolutely superb but was not particularly cheap at nearly £5000 (full metal deck spec - other options are cheaper)

- however I find that I can tow it, because it is a twin wheeled trailer, with no stability issues whatsoever as very 'respectable' ;) speeds, with my Atom facing forwards - provided that it is loaded as far forward as possible on the trailer.

- having towed it with both of my Honda CRVs with my Atom facing both backwards and forwards I have discovered that the fuel consumption of the towing car is about 12% - 15% better if the Atom is towed facing forwards - who said that the Atom has no aero?!
I like the size of it, just big enough. I don't want anything too large to tow around.

Is £5k inc VAT?

Love the black look of your Atom!

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:03 pm

I got a small Brian James C126-1221, perfect for the Atom and fits in my garage. £1800 second hand from an ex atom owner. With all the extra options
Attachments
19E88877-1E5F-4528-AAEC-0BDD983CC68D.jpeg
19E88877-1E5F-4528-AAEC-0BDD983CC68D.jpeg (4.53 MiB) Viewed 3102 times

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:39 pm

Simon

Yes VAT was included - and having looked it up - the total price (including an extra, very sturdy, Bulldog hitchlock and two wheelchocks - see picture) came to £4894.80 inc VAT.

I would add that, in the event, I discovered that the 'hydraulic tilt' option wasn't really necessary as the loading angle is 'just' shallow enough without it so I could have saved £444 inc VAT by not specifying it!!

FYI - There would also be a charge if you wanted it delivered to your home address but I drove up to Cheshire from Newbury and towed it back myself, via the Ariel factory, to pick up my rebuilt/upgraded 3.5R.

I would also suggest that you explore the PRG covered trailer options which you can navigate to from the link I provided and then engage in a reverse dutch auction by playing off PRG vs Brian James and challenging each of them to give you the best price!

In terms of quality of build there is absolutely nothing between them BUT the main drawback for me with Brian James is that they will only sell you one of their 'off the shelf' standard units whereas Richard Proudlove at PRG can manufacture it to your own particular customised bespoke size/requirements!

This, in the end, was the sole reason I went with PRG as the closest 'standard off the shelf' sized trailer that Brian James offered simply wasn't such a good fit for an Atom as the bespoke PRG that I eventually decided on - there was very little difference between them in regard to price!

Graeme
- with a single axle trailer you have to load/tow an Atom backwards otherwise you get the 'tail wagging the dog' problem - this was the main reason why, in the end, I decided on a twin axle trailer.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:45 pm

I just realized after looking at the width of the Atom 4 and its 1880mm that according to the Brian James race shuttle, the max width (internally) is 1.95m. This gives only 70mm gap total width, so I think the solution might be a custom PRG trailer as I would say I'd need at least a 2200mm width internally to comfortably get the 4 on the trailer without damaging the suspension and wheels. This would give 320mm in total gap to get it on not 70mm as per the Brian James race shuttle.

The problem is the Atom 4 is really wide - this is good at least if its wider on the rear giving more corner entry grip, and hopefully narrower on the front giving less under-steer increasing steering response. The spec sheet doesn't detail front and rear track width though, so I suspect 1880mm is the widest part of the car (either front or rear, I hope rear!)