Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
phil4

Re: Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Post by phil4 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 am

reg wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 pm
Digger wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:20 pm
phil4 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:05 pm
Ariel isn't a charity, your best mate nor a religion
Pretty close to a religion for me...
I have seen God twice in mine :'(
You're not the only one... and I thanked him after.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:55 am

I do get people’s concerns but Atoms and Nomads are never base spec cars - when I bought I first new one the reports said Abu £30k - yet I spent £45k in not a ridiculous spec. The point here is you can have an Atom 4 at just over £40k - it won’t have much on it and will be bog standard colours etc - but you can and some want that. As Karlv said - in the Us you get 2 specs of Nomad and neither were the spec he would have bought. This way you choose it all. And yes plenty I know trailer the car to track.

Adjustable suspension isn’t needed on the road. Sport brakes all round will still give way better braking than most sports cars. So the best thing in today’s world in Ariel giving us, the consumers, full choice on what we get imho.

And yes it is the closest thing I have to a religion....

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:05 am

reg wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 pm
simonrhart wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 pm those guys are very selective in who can actually buy a car let alone test drive one.
On that note alone, I would like to tell you a story. Years ago a mid 30's bloke who had a half decent job and some disposable income went to speak to Porsche about a 911. He booked an appointment, for a Sunday, which was really inconvenient but the car in question was 'the one'. Upon arrival the guy he had booked the appointment with was 'ill'. Nobody seemed that interested and he was left on his own. When he left he thanked the young lady for the coffee, and it was a nice coffee, then went home. The next day he mailed the 'Sales Manager' and expressed his disappointment, the reply was gushing, apologetic, but the damage was done.

A year I drove my NSX-R to the same dealer, a bit Julia Roberts I grant you but it made me smile. I also emailed Porsche GB about the experience and sent them pictures of the car, which was going to be a GT spec 911 but was now very Honda shaped :D They sent me a hamper and an xmas card. I'll never buy a Porsche from an OPC now no matter what, it just struck me that they didn't care, the hamper was decent though :D

Managing expectations is what everyone has to do. Whether you are Microsoft, or Joe Bloggs, customers remain the lifeblood. Being frank, some of the most f :ocking annoying customers I have ever dealt with have taught me the most, at the time I couldn't see it but it all ebbs and flows. I hope the forum remains open enough to be able ask questions and nobody takes offence from anything, it's about the business of buying cars after all right?
Good post reg! :tu:

If i'd not got a charged Atom i'd never consider buying an Atom4 I couldn't test drive! Being driven in one only tells you so much about as driving toy!

This forum is for the owners and fans of the brand to discuss the cars and indeed other points of their interest. All opinions are valid within the clearly stated club and forum rules. A balanced view for and against discussion points is healthy. And frankly the club members calling out and discussing poor quality / issues / whatever with any supplier is again the point of the forum.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:05 am

Trigger wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:55 am I do get people’s concerns but Atoms and Nomads are never base spec cars - when I bought I first new one the reports said Abu £30k - yet I spent £45k in not a ridiculous spec. The point here is you can have an Atom 4 at just over £40k - it won’t have much on it and will be bog standard colours etc - but you can and some want that. As Karlv said - in the Us you get 2 specs of Nomad and neither were the spec he would have bought. This way you choose it all. And yes plenty I know trailer the car to track.

Adjustable suspension isn’t needed on the road. Sport brakes all round will still give way better braking than most sports cars. So the best thing in today’s world in Ariel giving us, the consumers, full choice on what we get imho.

And yes it is the closest thing I have to a religion....
Trigger,
Remember sports brakes are not standard they are a significant cost option. Do you think even on the road base model brakes (smaller than sport) are suitable or sensible for a 160mph 320BHP car? They certainly look rather weak. I would agree sports brakes would be fine for the road. I don't think the base ones should be used on supercharged / turbo cars over 300BHP. IMO same for the LSD on the turbo car due to the additional torque. This is purely for safety on the road.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:37 am

"Man Maths" me thinks !

It's a throttle pedal not a switch :wize:

;)
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:59 pm

John Scherrer wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:37 am "Man Maths" me thinks !

It's a throttle pedal not a switch :wize:

;)
Even when its a fully electronic throttle? ;)

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:07 pm

If a lot of the changes are to make the car fully road legal and compliant, what might they do about a front number plate?

A

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:20 pm

??

There's always been a Front Number Plate Bracket option?

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:24 pm

But is it still an option or standard fit?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:39 pm

It’s an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:08 pm

I noticed on the list there is Adjustable Camber Wishbones this is really important for track setup. On the old car, could you not adjust the camber?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:31 pm

simonrhart wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:08 pm On the old car, could you not adjust the camber?
Yes, the old car could indeed change the camber... According to the manual
rotating the top rod half a turn end represents 7 minutes
Perhaps the new one is a bit easier.

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Then I am confused why this is an option a-arm on the new car unless something has changed. I need to be able to change the camber but that option price is TBC.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 pm

One more [mention]HenryJS[/mention] then. Or of course someone else who’s asked Ariel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:14 am

The Atom Cup cars ran crazy negative camber and I think had longer wishbones to allow this ..

I also saw a car at Ariel that had modified wishbones to allow camber adjustment without removing rosejoints etc.
Not sure if this was a one off or became production ..
Attachments
IMAG1132.jpg
IMAG1132.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 512 times