Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:02 pm

The spec sheet is out next week. So those in the BIG queue need to discuss! :)

Initial thought from me (pre sheet or costs)
AP big brakes front and rear.
Handbrake kit.
Bilstein adjustable shocks (if not standard).
Carbon Dash surround.
Quick Release steering wheel.
Rear towing strap.
No Carbon wheels, but will consider options.
Track Spec tyres (Avon ZZR).
Tracker.
Locking fuel cap.
Painted Bulkheads.
Stainless fixings.
Stock back box for track work.
Decat
Lairy frame colour, panel colours tbc

Thoughts? :pop:
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

AMH 142

Re: Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Post by AMH 142 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:33 pm

A solid start....
I will add the brake bias to your list and that will do nicely. Of course this is in the faint hope that somehow Ohlins won’t be quite so necessary on the 4 and that heated steering wheel is not an option ;)
And then expect long discussions on central oil pick-up and baffled sumps. :fence:
Aidan

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:26 pm

Having carefully read the spec on the Ariel site, I think the only “gift” will be the LSD. The brake specs listed seem too small for AP’s and the suspension doesn’t mention adjustability.

Coupled with Henry confirming a base car, I think Pete has it about right.

Seatbelts though Pete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:11 am

Good suggestions :tu:

Ohlins, hmmm, maybe. Attractive yes. Not sure tho. Costly and not sure on the price benefit ratio.
Brake bias is a possibility although i doubt i'll play with it much. Price dependant i guess.
I had 2 inch stock belts and i added 3 inch and i found them less comfortable around the neck. I am not bothered over 5/6 point. If you do up the lap strap properly you won't come out the bottom!
LSD is stock but essential.
Baffled sump WILL be added! :tu:

:vroom:

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 am

I question the removable steering wheel, I know it's a popular option but it seems to me that you park and leave the car and either:

1. Carry the steering wheel around with you all day hoping it doesn't get lifted and you don't leave it somewhere
2. Worry that somebody will nick the steering wheel off the parked car
3. Worry that a potential thief doesn't have access to a pair of mole grips.

I decided it would be a liability.

I thought a handbrake was now standard.

Delete the switch to turn down the power, doesn't seem very 'Wacky Races'

A

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:20 am

AlanP wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 am I thought a handbrake was now standard.
I think it was on the 3.5.... as long as you didn't have Alcon's at the rear... as the caliper had no second input for a handbrake, hence new caliper etc. I may be wrong, but thought the handbrake was standard if you just had normal/sports brakes at the rear.

Ariel mention "parking brake" in the spec for the 4, so expect it's standard, but like the 3.5, may have to be re-added if you go for bigger rear brakes.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:18 am

I have a budget of about 12k for extras so my list will be something like this

Biggest Brakes I can get
Adjustable suspension
Quick Release steering wheel.
Rear towing strap.
Will see what wheels they offer
Locking fuel cap.
Stainless fixings.
Passenger foot rest
Stock back box for track work.
Decat
Parking Camera (Heard they were going to offer this as an option)
Traction Control
Launch Control
Boost Control (If Optional)
12v connector
Foot rest
data logger/camera if they do one
If there's any money left I will stick a front wing on but will have to see how the budget goes

With so many rumours around what is standard and what is optional will be hard to know until price list finally comes out. I do a lot of road driving and several track days a year so want a car that can do many miles and then be good round a circuit so will go for comfort options rather than speed and weight saving options

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:23 am

It's a good point re: the removable steering wheel. Most people add it as it makes it easier to get in although this is less of a benefit for the Atom and for anti-theft reasons. I think it's useful when parked in the garage at home also because it will make stealing the car much harder without a steering wheel.

For me I will go for:

- Adjustable suspension - the spec sheet for the stock says Bilstein shocks but doesn't say whether they are adjustable
- 290mm disks all round - I think these will be from AP racing
- Adjustable front/rear brake bias - this should not cost much
- Sequential gear box - but this largely depends on cost
- White chassis, black panels
- Black power coated alloy's
- Baffled sump
- Foot rest
- USB
- Decat

-
Simon

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:29 am

Removable steering wheel is something i have on my current Atom.

It is a useful highly visible security feature to deter any attempt to drive the car away.

You can also keep it dry with you if it looks like rain.

I have never had any issues with it and i value the ability to remove it. Hence its on the list. :)

I agree with Phil its the extra caliper for the hand brake that is an extra. If you spec the car with big brakes on the rear the additional cable operated caliper was extra. It might be different now with APs. Time will tell. But i want a handbrake.

I won't be paying extra for the adjustable boost for sure. Unless its cheap.

:vroom:

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:11 am

I agree, the adjustable boost is a gimmick I think. If I had it I would just leave it on 3 the whole time. I suspect it will be an option.

The removable steering wheel I did spec on the 3.5 when I planned to get the 3.5 but since I have changed my mind. I would like some wings too, but not at the price Ariel charges for them at ~£4k. I will spend my money on performance first, looks second if there is any money left and at the moment if the technology shares go down further then it will likely only be performance upgrades!

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:55 pm

How about a tow bar :P

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:41 pm

I was thinking about a roof rack as well, for those days when you need to take the christmas tree home or for the ski box.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:28 am

I would remind everyone that as Ariel are intending pursuing full small manufacturer EU certification for the Atom 4 this certification requirement predicates some mandatory equipment that needs to be fitted as part of the base package.

Amongst others it includes :
1. Functional handbrake
2. Self cancelling indicators
3. Catalytic converter (may be mandatory for road use)
4. EU compliant lighting system (Auto/Daylight running lights)
5. Adjustable seats
etc
etc

The point of the quick release steering wheel, besides the obvious security reason, is really because some of our shorter (but larger ::) ) colleagues find it extremely difficult to get in or out of an Atom without a removable steering wheel!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:22 am

autobackup wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:28 am I would remind everyone that as Ariel are intending pursuing full small manufacturer EU certification for the Atom 4 this certification requirement predicates some mandatory equipment that needs to be fitted as part of the base package.

Amongst others it includes :
1. Functional handbrake
2. Self cancelling indicators
3. Catalytic converter (may be mandatory for road use)
4. EU compliant lighting system (Auto/Daylight running lights)
5. Adjustable seats
etc
etc
Now that will be really -intersting- to see how that pans out. If we take your list as complete (I know and you know it probably isn't, but lets just use it as is for a minute), I suspect the base car as priced and listed on their site can meet most of those requirements. Even the base 3.5 managed a cat and handbrake.

Where I think it won't hold for all specs, eg. the handbrake, is that we know Ariel sell cars for all over the world, and for track only use. It wouldn't surprise me if then as we discussed the handbrake becomes "removed" if you spec bigger brakes. It's already a requirement and checked come MOT time in the UK, but many just fit when MOTing, and ignore the fact the car isn't to spec the rest of the time.

I know Ariel have adjusted the lights (eg. look at the height of them), and we know they're got a very un-Atom like auto headlight option, I suspect most of those are a sop to the EU requirements and the like. However I can't imagine they'll stop them being removed, nor upgrades precluding them if owners so choose.

I think what I'm saying is, the fixed (eg. lights) bits are done to meet the EU requirements, the rest will be business as usual. Just my guess :)

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:41 am

phil4 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:22 am I think what I'm saying is, the fixed (eg. lights) bits are done to meet the EU requirements, the rest will be business as usual. Just my guess :)
This sounds like the most logical conclusion.

It's incredibly helpful that the car comes in £24 less than the threshold for paying higher (£310 extra) road tax.

So, over 5 years we're £1,550 better off.

This qualifies as free money to buy shiney things with!

Cheers,
Stu