SkunkWurx Updates

The area for people to tell the club about goods and services which may be of interest. Be aware that the goods and services offered in this section are not necessarily endorsed by Ariel.Club but will be moderated. Caveat emptor. Only full club members can create posts.
hamtt

Re: SkunkWurx Updates

Post by hamtt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:55 am

I think Andrew meant 'send'  not 'sell' and was trying to get a free pair for 'testing'!

The discs are made by the same OEM that makes the brakes for Radical, in England, so there are no concerns whatsoever about the quality and durability of them.

When we were designing them the weight of the car, the pistons/force of the caliper and other things were also taken in to account in finalising the design. Ideally you want as few bobbins as possible to save weight by cutting out the unused portions of the bell. The size of the bobbins themselves also affects the final number. Too many bobbins will increase the final weight of the disc and also increase the friction in the movement of the rotor.

Will find out about the colour options today.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:21 am

I was under the impression that Hi Spec made the bits for the Radical but may be wrong

reg

Post by reg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:59 am

[quote="Rocket Man"]
I was under the impression that Hi Spec made the bits for the Radical but may be wrong
[/quote]

You are correct Sir.

http://www.hispecrotors.co.uk/page235.html
'he was reet fast'

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:00 am

I was contemplating contacting Hi Spec with regard to making me some floating dics with all bells as i knew they make them and it's easy enough to get measurements to have them done. Now Ham has done it , it saves me the trouble. If they are Hi Spec they do their bells in various colours

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:30 pm

I have no real technical knowledge on the brake subject. :-[ :-[
I understand the basic principles but in Layman's terms, why would I consider "upgrading" from my current full Alcon setup? Will I be able to stop any quicker I guess is my actual question?

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:31 pm

Yes indeed they are made by Hi-Spec.

With regards to the colourings, the current finish is a hard anodized finish which they only do in black. They did offer other colours in a soft anodize finish but this was subject to fade in the sunlight so they have stopped doing it now.

As the bell is aluminium, it won't rust anyway and the hard anodizing prevents corrosion from chemicals etc also so will be easier to maintain than the standard discs.

Price-wise I am currently trying to negotiate a volume price with them but don't really want to do that until I have finalised the product and happy with where it's at.

On a side note, I have also this morning started talks with an exhaust manufacturer for a sports exhaust option...
Last edited by hamtt on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:33 pm

[quote="wasp"]
I understand the basic principles but in Layman's terms, why would I consider "upgrading" from my current full Alcon setup? Will I be able to stop any quicker I guess is my actual question?

Cheers,
Stu
[/quote]

See post #2

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:42 pm

[quote="hamtt"]

See post #2
[/quote]

You're just making me hunt for it, it was all the way down at post #3 ;) ;)

But thanks, I now get it!!

Also, any news on timings or pricing on the cf 3.5 light covers?

Crawling back under my rock now! ;D

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

reg

Post by reg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:05 pm

[quote="wasp"]

Cheers,
Stu
[/quote]
The main one is cost, once you have two piece rotors then you can change just the disc rather than the whole assembly. You take a slight hit when you first purchase, due to the extra design but thereafter just rotor changes should prove cheaper. The carriers are also aluminium so you save some un-sprung weight.

There is also an advantage with heat management, although I haven't managed to go beyond the Alcon's limits tbh.

If you were racing I would say it's a decent investment, but as the Atom is quite light anyway I am not sure on the payback..of course they come in different colours though which means they're going to be faster  ;D
'he was reet fast'

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Some say red is always faster, all we know is they look better

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:31 pm

[quote="reg"]
[quote="wasp"]

Cheers,
Stu
[/quote]
The main one is cost, once you have two piece rotors then you can change just the disc rather than the whole assembly. You take a slight hit when you first purchase, due to the extra design but thereafter just rotor changes should prove cheaper. The carriers are also aluminium so you save some un-sprung weight.

There is also an advantage with heat management, although I haven't managed to go beyond the Alcon's limits tbh.

If you were racing I would say it's a decent investment, but as the Atom is quite light anyway I am not sure on the payback..of course they come in different colours though which means they're going to be faster  ;D
[/quote]

Thanks Reg,

It's kinda what I was thinking and as pointed out by others, red ones would absolutely gain at least 7.5 seconds per lap ;D

I'm bold but definitely not brave on the brakes and haven't ever managed to get them to fade (apart from the the old competition brakes from my Atom 2, but they were made from melted down chocolate fire extinguishers anyway)

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:57 pm

it will be good to get some option for a stright through stainless exhaust as an option.
is there any development on the new two piece front wing and the reshaping of these end plates, I wouldn't mind one of those

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:19 pm

I think Andrew meant 'send'  not 'sell' and was trying to get a free pair for 'testing'!

Nope I meant sell not send...
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:24 pm

[quote="Andrew300"]
free pair for 'testing'!
[/quote]

I don't know if I'd want to test brakes.  I mean, do you call that person a test pilot, or a crash test dummy?

I'm sure (as the recent photo from CH shows) it can be bad enough when you screw it up all by yourself without some help from something as critical as that failing.

Oh, and before Hamtt gets on my case, I know they're made by a firm that knows what they're doing etc, and I'm sure they'll be absolutely fine.  It was just your mention of prototype sent me down a way of thinking, and thought I'd share as thought it was mildly amusing.

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:33 pm

On a side note, I have also this morning started talks with an exhaust manufacturer for a sports exhaust option...
[/quote]

It will need to be LOUD and shinney!  Apparently the factory did 2 versions, one was more raspy and louder than the other...just saying
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol