Shaguar Xf.....yeah baby, Any experience?

wattie

Shaguar Xf.....yeah baby, Any experience?

Post by wattie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:33 pm

with reference to another thread...

[quote="wattie"]
Yup, very nice Ben.....also a big fan of the XKR.

Not sure about Jags tho.....despite the rave reviews they get nowadays.

As you"ll have seen I'm a young, devastatingly handsome, virile strapping lad.....(be very careful Justin!) and therefore am not quite at the slippers, pipe and smoking Jacket stage yet...........the Shaguar image (whilst considerably cheaper) is not as appealing as the gigalo Mazza which is much more me  ;) 

Cheers Wattie
[/quote]

Having recently asked Kel for some thermals, slippers and a pipe for my christmas I may be in the market for a

Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 Diesel S Portfolio 4dr

Seems a very good blend of comfort, performance, style and economy to me.

Anyone own one or had experience...would appreciate a view.

Cheers Wattie

speedmachine

Re: Shaguar Xf.....yeah baby, Any experience?

Post by speedmachine » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:17 pm

I drove them all, most liked the Supercharged...duh.

But the diesel gets you where you need to be and it's fast enough and stuff, it's a nice car alltogether and it brings a lot of comfort/complete package for the price compared to BMW or Merc.

I like it way over the other brands, but that could be just me...If you buy a used car, you might have a nice price for such a great car!
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:09 pm

For the perfect "blend of comfort, performance, style and economy" surely a Porsche Panamera diesel is the car........well maybe not the style bit, but you could insert "handling" as a positive instead.

But then its also nice to buy British, and the Jag is probably a cooler car (?)

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm

nah.........old duffers car....

so yes, get one !
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:13 pm

We (well Clare) have got one.  You can have a good look over it at the Christmas dinner if you like.  Hers is the 2.2 diesel which is a bit slow above 80mph but other than that a really nice car.  Prefer it over the German rivals by miles and I say this as a Mercedes man through and through.

Ross on here has a 3.0d so can give more performance details.

Ben

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Well, age catches up with us all in the end. A man has to do what a man has to do

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Get the f type one or the xk one , but dont get the "MONDEO" one......
Attachments
48971.jpg
48971.jpg (6.74 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:25 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
We (well Clare) have got one.  You can have a good look over it at the Christmas dinner if you like.  Hers is the 2.2 diesel which is a bit slow above 80mph but other than that a really nice car.  Prefer it over the German rivals by miles and I say this as a Mercedes man through and through.

Ben
[/quote]
Thanks for the offer Ben....may have made a decision by then....we'll see.

Has it been reliable??

C'mon Ross, pray tell.....

Cheers Wattie

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:29 pm

[quote="l33haw"]
For the perfect "blend of comfort, performance, style and economy" surely a Porsche Panamera diesel is the car........well maybe not the style bit, but you could insert "handling" as a positive instead.

But then its also nice to buy British, and the Jag is probably a cooler car (?)
[/quote]

Ugly as sin.....having said that I've seen a couple recently and they looked a little better.....maybe a bum lift has been done?

Lots more expensive and frankly if I was gonna spend that I'd have a QP.

Cheers Wattie

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:30 pm

[quote="justin swift"]
nah.........old duffers car....

so yes, get one !
[/quote]
Wondered where you had been??? Good to see u back with the usual cheeky retort!!!!

Cheers Wattie

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:11 pm

[quote="wattie"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]
Thanks for the offer Ben....may have made a decision by then....we'll see.

Has it been reliable??

C'mon Ross, pray tell.....

Cheers Wattie
[/quote]

So far 100% reliable but we have only had it for a month or two, on the other hand 10k miles or so and not missed a beat.

Jaguar have the freshest looking line up of any manufacturer at the moment and provide British jobs.  Get one.

Ben

ross

Post by ross » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 am

Hi Wattie.

That's exactly the model I've been running for the last couple of years, a black one with every option (literally every one as far as I can remember) selected - I bought it off the sales manager at HA Fox Jaguar in Nottingham after he'd been running it for 6 months.

The Portfolio spec with charcoal interior, light grey alcantara headlining and aluminium trim is the nicest combination in my opinion.  Always nice to get in to after a hectic day's work.

It's been a great car, goes very well despite it's size and weight with loads of torque from the engine - when you put your foot down, it's like a small battleship steaming ahead on full power.  Handling is good although I've never really felt the need to thrash mine, seems pointless after the Atom.  Mine has the sporty kit (includes the active dampers) and is on the 20" rims with very low profile tyres - looks fantastic, but I reckon fatter profile tyres would suit it's ride better.  I've recently been considering picking up a set of 18" rims to stick some winter tyres on.

Gearbox is great although I almost never use the paddles and just leave it in auto.

Only problems I've had have been the wing mirrors and windows getting stuck in really cold weather, a new windscreen needed due to it starting to delaminate in one corner and I think they fitted a new window switch or controller or something when the driver's side window stopped working recently.

Economy is fine (high 30s) if you're on a good clear run and driving smoothly.  In stop start traffic you'll struggle to get above 30mpg and  pushing on will see it drop below 30mpg without any trouble.

Biggest issue with it has been the depreciation although I guess that's a good thing for you now if you're looking at second hand.

As it happens, I've been wondering about swapping mine for something else now, but haven't decided what (I'm oscillating wildly between a Mini One and a 911) so if you're interested let me know.

Mine's done 23k very relaxed miles, full Jaguar service history and in excellent condition.  A huge amount of car for the money second hand.

New would give you the advantage of the 8 speed box and the option of the more economical 4 pot engine (is a Jag really a Jag with only 4 cylinders though?) and the new ones certainly look nicer.  I think the computer thingy is also a bit spruced up as well.  But you'd suffer on the depreciation like I have.

Cheers, Ross.

ross

Post by ross » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:56 am

Nice!  Well done.  I wish I could make car buying decisions that fast ;)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
New would give you the advantage of the 8 speed box and the option of the more economical 4 pot engine (is a Jag really a Jag with only 4 cylinders though?) and the new ones certainly look nicer.  I think the computer thingy is also a bit spruced up as well.  But you'd suffer on the depreciation like I have.

[/quote]

I am not sure the computer is that much different from earlier ones we had looked at.  The 4 cyl thing is mainly an issue from outside where it sounds a bit tractor like when cold but with the 8 speed box (which is fantastic) you don't notice on the move.

I have seen on some fora that owners get about the same MPG from the 3.0 and 2.2 so the 3.0 is the one to have if you can.  Actually the XFR is the one to have....

Ben