24 Heures du Mans 2012 - 16th - 17th June

Less driving, more natter. For when you just want to hookup.
Dawsey7

Re: 24 Heures du Mans 2012 - 16th - 17th June

Post by Dawsey7 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Afraid I am going to have to pass on joining you all, SpeedChills cant do what we want, have family locally and planned to see them, so £600 odd for one night is a bit much!!

Still going but via another plan, hope to be able to 'drop in' and say hello at some point.

Cheers
Dawsey

Andrew300

Post by Andrew300 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi all, anybody going to get their car stickered up for this one ie:Atom club convoy 24 heures du mans, or if any body has other ideas please post  :checkeredflag:
Ariel Nomad,Toyota GT86 and a T5 work horse ,oh and a 4x4 for winter

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:09 am

The day is fast aproaching!

Is anyone doing a Tom Tom route from Cherbourg to Le Mans?
If so can they pass on the ITN file to the rest of us so when (not if) the convoy gets split up ;D
If not, anyone got any preference for the route and I'll put one together (although I've no idea of what makes a good route in Frogland!)

francis

Post by francis » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi there guys,

I have managed to get the 15th off work and am now tempted to head to Le Mans in the Atom!

Due to my other passenger I think the camping option will be ruled out! (not to mention having missed the boat!) :( I was wondering what the experience would be like if we were to stay in a hotel in a nearby town (there is some availability having just checked!) - how does it work for visitors - can we just rock up, park and walk around? Are there any passes that are advisable to buy? How is the parking for visitors?

Cheers,
Francis
Last edited by francis on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toms

Post by toms » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:23 pm

[quote="Kezzie"]

If so can they pass on the ITN file to the rest of us so when (not if) the convoy gets split up ;D
If not, anyone got any preference for the route and I'll put one together (although I've no idea of what makes a good route in Frogland!)
[/quote]

Hi Kezzie

I think the best route will be the most direct one - and it looks like pretty much main roads all the way!  Feel free to put together an ITN file if you wish...

I can't wait  :tu:

Tom

toms

Post by toms » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:26 pm

[quote="francis"]
Hi there guys,

I have managed to get the 15th off work and am now tempted to head to Le Mans in the Atom!

Due to my other passenger I think the camping option will be ruled out! (not to mention having missed the boat!) :( I was wondering what the experience would be like if we were to stay in a hotel in a nearby town (there is some availability having just checked!) - how does it work for visitors - can we just rock up, park and walk around? Are there any passes that are advisable to buy? How is the parking for visitors?

Cheers,
Francis
[/quote]

Hi Francis

Good man - be good to have you on board.  If you want to hook up with us then the thing to do is have a word with Speed Chills, details on this thread.  Simon (boss of Ariel) does what you're proposing - he gets his own crossing and hotel but Speed Chills sort his parking, race admission tickets and a Speed Chills membership which enables you to go into any of their campsites and use the facilities (we found this rather handy as there is a site right near the start which has a particularly nice bar  ;D)

Have a word with Anne-Marie and say you're with us and she should sort you out - she will be able to do ferry/crossing bookings as part of the package as well if it makes life easier for you.

Hope to see you there!!

Tom
Last edited by toms on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:35 pm

[quote="Tom"]
[quote="Kezzie"]

[/quote]

Hi Kezzie

I think the best route will be the most direct one - and it looks like pretty much main roads all the way!  Feel free to put together an ITN file if you wish...

I can't wait  :tu:

Tom
[/quote]

Tom,

I've just sent you over my draft route. Comments gratefully received ;D

For everyone else I've plotted a route from Cherbourgh via Saint Lo, Vire, Domfront, Alencon & Beaumont sur Sarthe :vroom:

Anyone have any other suitable routes?

toms

Post by toms » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:49 am

Right then all - we're less than a week away to the off!!

With that in mind here is a brief outline of the plan from this end; of course if we can get everyone to tag along with us that would be great!!  Henry is going to be shooting stills and video from the van all the way down so the bigger the convoy the better the pictures!!

Thursday - meet at Ariel works at 5.15am to set off for Portsmouth at 5.30am.  That should ensure we miss any heavy rush hour traffic and get to Portsmouth 8.15 latest to get our ferry.  The van will be there so any extra tents/kit/cider you don't have space for can come in with us.  Could I please ask that when you arrive at Ariel Works you are full of fuel so that we don't have to faff about stopping the convoy en route to Pompey.

Can you please let me know if you are meeting us at Ariel Works so we don't set off without you!!

Our ferry departs at 9am so as I say we need to be there at 8.15 latest.  We arrive at 1pm local time in Cherbourg, Kezzie has done an ITN file for TomToms of the route to LeMans so please e-mail me if you would like me to send it over.  The journey on the other side should be around 4 hours so with stopping for lunch and to buy any provisions/drink we should arrive around 6pm to set up camp.  Tolls should not be a problem as i'm 99% sure that our route misses them all out - should be a nice scenic drive.

Here follows a little list of the things you should think about bringing:

Speed Chills booking info (should have been sent to you in a little blue plastic wallet)
Euros
Liber-T toll road tag
Tent
Sleeping bag
Fold out chair (if you can get one of these in it is pretty essential for the campsite, can put in the van)
Suncream  (hopefully  ;D)
Waterproof clothing/wellies
A stout pair of boots (there is an awful lot of walking involved in this weekend)
Tourch/headtorch/lantern
Spare clothes to keep clean/dry for use back at the campsite
Mobile phone charger
Snacks
Ale/cider/lager/Jagermeister  ;D

I think that's about everything but if anyone can think of anything to add to the above please do so.  This is going to be an awesome trip ladies and gents!!

Any questions please ask here or e-mail me.

Tom
Last edited by toms on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Any idea if we are planning on going to the Pistonheads Friday Service?
It's local to Beausejout too
Or maybe that Pie & Mash pub as last year?
Maybe we should get Tim a taxi where ever we go just in case ;D

mypresenttome

Post by mypresenttome » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Ummmm..........how do I load the ITN file on to my Tomtom??  Not set one up before!

Cheers,

Michael
Mugen #5, Kuga and an understanding wife

toms

Post by toms » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:19 am

[quote="Kezzie"]
[/quote]

I think it would be worth going for a look at that on Friday if the weathers good?

Don't know if the pie and mash thing is happening - anyone know anything?  Was certainly good last year.....

toms

Post by toms » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:20 am

[quote="hydeski"]
Ummmm..........how do I load the ITN file on to my Tomtom??  Not set one up before!

Cheers,

Michael
[/quote]

Plug in the TomTom to your computer and go into it through 'My Computer' as if it was an external disc drive.  There is a folder called ITN - just copy and paste it into there....give me a call if you get stuck.

Kezzie

Post by Kezzie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:31 am

[quote="Tom"]
[quote="Kezzie"]
[/quote]

I think it would be worth going for a look at that on Friday if the weathers good?

Don't know if the pie and mash thing is happening - anyone know anything?  Was certainly good last year.....
[/quote]

That pie & mash pub is still there as far as I know but Pistonheads have decided to run their own event - full explaination here http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25685.
I think it was a great venue and lovely grub too so I'd be happy to go back there if they are open that is.
Failing that the Pistonheads do will be a good substitute and within staggering distance of our tents.
I'm sure the weather will be one of the deciding factors so maybe best to delay a decision until we hit site.

toms

Post by toms » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:47 am

From what I can see this far away the weather looks to be pretty good - a smattering of showers but nothing too heavy - just enough to liven the racing up but not enough to spoil our fun!  Fingers crossed.....