New Website Discussion

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
Terry Kennedy

Re: New Website Discussion

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:08 am

I followed the emailed instructions to log in and look around. Initial impression - looks good, though I don't see provisions for direct user-uploaded content (photos, guides, etc.).

When I clicked on Worldwide - USA I got a popup box that said something like "geocode - no results". I assume that's the Google Map issue mentioned previously.

There's some inconsistent behavior with the login boxes - if I go to http://www.atomclub.com, it shows I'm logged in on the top right. If I go to http://atomclub.com, I'm not logged in. I'd suggest having the server rewrite one of those URLs to the other one (whichever one is preferred) to avoid this.

When I click on a topic that has been moved to the Clubroom, I get a page with two different places to enter username / password (main site on top, forum in the middle) which will log me in, but then tell me it is still off limits. Yet if I go to the Clubroom directly, I can see the thread. This may be related to the new use of http://www.atomclub.com/forum vs. the old http://forum.atomclub.com:

(also note the misalignment of the "time to stay logged in" and "always stay logged in" fields.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:44 am

If I log in via the masthead, it doesn't remember my logged-in status when I come back to visit from the same computer. The old forum had a "remember me" option.

Interestingly, if I close my browser and open it again, the masthead tells me I'm not logged in (username / password boxes) but if I click on the "Forum" tab, not only does the forum think I'm logged in, but the masthead changes to "Welcome back Terry".
Last edited by Terry Kennedy on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:18 am

REALLY like the new look and new atmosphere. Thanks to everyone who went to so much trouble. Top notch :tu:

toms

Post by toms » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:12 am

[quote="Richard Marler"]
[quote="Atomstew"]
(a few quotes repeated 2 or 3 times  :fence:
[/quote]

I picked up on that too and will add it to my list.
[/quote]

If that's the Atom History then that's being totally redone anyway; that was pretty much copied from the old site.  Simon is doing a nice fresh version for me as we speak....

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:19 am

[quote="Tom"]
[quote="Richard Marler"]
[quote="Atomstew"]
(a few quotes repeated 2 or 3 times  :fence:
[/quote]

I picked up on that too and will add it to my list.
[/quote]

If that's the Atom History then that's being totally redone anyway; that was pretty much copied from the old site.  Simon is doing a nice fresh version for me as we speak....
[/quote]

Fantastic. I will cross that off my list for now then.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:41 am

Thanks Terry for your observations. I am queuing up a list of items to talk through with the developer next week.

The main issues are currently as follows:

1. PM system not working
2. Email notifications not working
3. Some concerns with how the log in is working.
4. Location maps not working (geocode error mentioned above)

There are also a number of more minor issues. Strangely I am not having any problems with the log in being remembered. I did have a bookmark that went straight to unread topics and that always seemed to think I wasn't logged on, but I have stopped using that bookmark and now it works OK. I will talk to Kev and Piers about it next anyway to see if we can track down what is going on.

Please everyone continue to report any problems with the new site here.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:21 am

To elaborate on the login / confirm what Terry said.

The login on the page masthead does not remember you but clicking on Atomclub forum and it does, even between sessions (computer re booted inbetween)

Ben

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:27 am

[quote="benyeats"]

The login on the page masthead does not remember you but clicking on Atomclub forum and it does, even between sessions (computer re booted inbetween)

Ben
[/quote]

And what actions do you need to do on your computer to get the masthead to forget you? Oh and browser and OS please.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:38 am

[quote="Richard Marler"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]

And what actions do you need to do on your computer to get the masthead to forget you? Oh and browser and OS please.
[/quote]

Windows 7 and Chrome.  Any action that involves navigating away from the site causes the masthead to forget I am logged in. 

Pressing the link 'atomclub forum' just below the masthead on the left automatically logs me in.

Ben

Modified post to add if I go from the web site to the home page then straight back the masthead has forgotten me!
Last edited by benyeats on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:42 am

Sorry to pester you Ben, but if you have IE or Firefox installed can you try the actions you describe above to see if it behaves the same?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:00 pm

[quote="Richard Marler"]
Sorry to pester you Ben, but if you have IE or Firefox installed can you try the actions you describe above to see if it behaves the same?
[/quote]

Works fine in IE8 (64 bit) and the browser offers to remember my password.  Even if I did not choose this option it still remembered me for that browser session.  This is how the 'old' forum behaved on chrome.

Ben

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:03 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
looks good, though I don't see provisions for direct user-uploaded content (photos, guides, etc.).
[/quote]

On this point; the intention is for there to be no direct user-upload content on the main site. We want to ensure the quality of content on the main site is of the highest possible order.

Members are encouraged to submit content to content@atomclub.com. The new site structure means that, if there is already a category for the content to go into, there should be a very quick turn around between submission and it going live.

Obviously the forum can still be used for direct user-uploaded content.

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:06 pm

I am not out for the afternoon, with rugby, beer and then curry. If I am not completely broken, I will start answering emails again tomorrow. Have a great Saturday chaps.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:14 pm

[quote="Richard Marler"]
I am not out for the afternoon, with rugby, beer and then curry.
[/quote]

Snap!

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Is it safe to upgrade at this time or shall I wait....

Thanks for all the effort put in BTW  :tu:

;D