Oil cooler?

AtomFun

Re: Oil cooler?

Post by AtomFun » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:00 am

Here's a few pics of upnatom's oil cooler etc

[img width=640 height=426]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/ ... 001-01.jpg[/img]

This pictures shows a temperature strip attached to the oil filter. These are available from Demon Tweaks. Also note the oil pipe feeds out & return to the oil cooler.

[img width=640 height=426]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/ ... 004-01.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=426]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/ ... 005-01.jpg[/img]

The blue component  shown here is the additional oil pressure sensor feeding the ECU. This will inhibit the VTEC or knock the VTEC out in the event of of a sudden reduction in oil pressure.

[img width=640 height=426]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/ ... 007-01.jpg[/img]

Hope this helps in addition to scuffers post.

upnatom

Post by upnatom » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:32 am

I didn't manage to get the oil temp over 100 deg C at Llandow yesterday. It was very wet and slippy tho, and I drive like a complete wuss in the wet, so not a full workout. We still need a day on a big power track in the dry to confirm the effect the cooler has.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:33 pm

Thank you kindly for the pics, Atomfun!  An oil cooler mounting like that is exactly what I had in mind, only I'd add some ducting to direct airflow through it.  Is that oil cooler mounted just in front of the rear A-arm mounts? 

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:43 pm

[quote="MrWoolery"]
Is that oil cooler mounted just in front of the rear A-arm mounts? 
[/quote]

Yes, you can just see the black parts of the suspension.

The problem with cowling to direct the flow of air through the cooler it that it would make the Atom look a little one sided. The cooler is secured by a home brew bracket made from alluminium plate.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:56 pm

You could try maybe wiring a smaller 12v electric fan to it. Force air through it that way. of course it wouldn't be temperature controlled like the Water radiator but if oil temp is that big a deal then it would help some.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:11 pm

Just a personal observation.

I don't believe oil temperature has presented a serious problem this side of the ocean.

One of the attractions of the Atom is it's minimalistic approach in design and adding all these bits, fans, cowling, recaros, roof, doors etc etc for me, would detract from the charm.

The designer of the Atom removed everything that he considered wasn't needed and then when it get's into some people's possession they try to add it all back again!

As I said, this is my personal view - I like the 'rawness' of the Atom.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:42 pm

When the original Atom hit the road was a 300hp supercharged engine available? I can understand making subtle  changes as the powerplant, suspension and personal usage requires (emphasis on subtle). Especially as in a oil cooler as forced induction usually raises things like oil temps. The stock oiling system gets tapped to provide a source of lubrication for the blower and it lacks sufficient capacity to cool the additional heat generated. Even a radiant radiator helps the situation. So I can see why one might want to add little tweaks as necessary.

And like you, I also like the 'rawness' of the Atom.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:05 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]

I don't believe oil temperature has presented a serious problem this side of the ocean.

One of the attractions of the Atom is it's minimalistic approach in design and adding all these bits, fans, cowling, recaros, roof, doors etc etc for me, would detract from the charm.

The designer of the Atom removed everything that he considered wasn't needed and then when it get's into some people's possession they try to add it all back again!

As I said, this is my personal view - I like the 'rawness' of the Atom.
[/quote]

Does the spec of your nearly gestated car include bubble screens and sidescreens?  ;D

Seriously, the bodywork on many saloons actively prevents air from flowing around the engine. On an Atom, there is very little bodywork, and the appaling aerodynamics - especially at the back - means that there's plently of cool air swirling around there! I can't comment on whether there's enough airflow for anything above a 220, but with the exception of the teething trouble with the radiator air needing bleeding at trackdays, mine's never overheated at all.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:09 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Does the spec of your nearly gestated car include bubble screens and sidescreens?  ;D
[/quote]

Nope, neither - I'm gonna be cold & wet :)

In relation to oil coolers, I don't recall seeing one post complaining of overheating problems. I could be wrong of course.

Don't get me wrong, what others do with their Atoms is entirely up to them and who am I to criticise!
Last edited by AtomFun on Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scuffers

Post by Scuffers » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:18 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]

I don't believe oil temperature has presented a serious problem this side of the ocean.[/quote]

Like to know what you base this on?

having seen the results of Chris's engine and others from Integra's/Civic's/Norma's/etc, I can tell you for a fact, if you are into hard track use with a K20, YOU HAVE TO COOL THE OIL.

yes, the engine may well survive without it, question is for how long and can you afford to find out?

even if Chris's engine had not let go catastropically, the bearings were aleardy well on the way to being trashed, the cylinder walls were scored to death, even the cam journals were scored. with more time, these would only have got worse, and lead to premature engine faliure.

PS. supercharger does not have any oil feed from the engine, it has sealed bearings.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:28 pm

As I said, I based it purely on the posts in the Atom forum and I did say I could be wrong!

Your experience is evidentally different and I'm pleased you've shared it with us.

Scuffers

Post by Scuffers » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:34 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
As I said, I based it purely on the posts in the Atom forum and I did say I could be wrong!

Your experience is evidentally different and I'm pleased you've shared it with us.
[/quote]

no problem.

it would be interesting to see what the actual running temps are, does anybody have gauges fitted or some form of logging?

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:41 pm

It's quite alarming if as a result of tracking the Atom ones engine is going to end up in such a mess!!

I don't believe that you could describe Chris/Tim's Atom as a hard tracked car. Chris admits he doesn't drive it very hard as he's still learning.

Would you expect to see such damage in any Atom that had been regularly tracked or is Chris & Tim's experience more or less a one off? I believ in their case, a piston stuck fast tearing out the con-rod. First time I've heard of this in an Atom.

I wouldn't want my Atom to suffer the same scale of wear and if fitting an oil cooler helps to prevent that, then I'd obviously do it.

upnatom

Post by upnatom » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:22 pm

It is worth noting that our atom had only been upgraded from a 220 to 300 two weeks (and 1/2 a track day) before it let go. I therefore assume that much of the wear happened before the blower was fitted - it may well have just tipped it over the edge. Our oil level was never low, but it was only changed every couple of thousand miles, including several track days. It may well have been a wise precaution to have changed it more frequently.., but we were told that it was not necessay with these "bomb proof" Honda lumps. You live and learn eh? I've no idea what oil temps we were running on track, we had no kit to measure it and never really worried about it. We now take a more keen interest...