Newbies & Lessons

AtomFun

Newbies & Lessons

Post by AtomFun » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:47 am

Hi Tim & other instuctors

What about a complete newbie having one to one? Me as an example. nearly 53, never driven on a track, never 'purposely slid around a corner :) , haven't even got my Atom yet!

Would you recommend that I spend some time getting used to the car first and then book you?

I'm sure there are many just starting out who'd feel somewhat nervy and therefore put off having lessons.

Tim Arnold

Re: Newbies & Lessons

Post by Tim Arnold » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:19 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
Hi Tim & other instuctors

What about a complete newbie having one to one? Me as an example. nearly 53, never driven on a track, never 'purposely slid around a corner :) , haven't even got my Atom yet!

Would you recommend that I spend some time getting used to the car first and then book you?

I'm sure there are many just starting out who'd feel somewhat nervy and therefore put off having lessons.
[/quote]
I would recommend getting some track instruction and experience in something not as as quick as an Atom first. Learning track driving techiques and driving a quick car quickly at the same time presents a very steep learning curve... even racing drivers attending schools like Silverstone are taught in road saloon cars first.

Getting used to driving your Atom on the road first might help, but conversely, track driving tuition will help your road driving.

As an alternative to one-to-one instruction, and the group instruction I suggested in the other thread, how about this: We (the racing tea,m I'm with) have a track prep'd BMW 320 (E36) for track hire with an instructor (me)... on a Gold Track day we could instruct a group of four people for £245 each in the BMW, including the track day fees and fuel. That would equate to at least an hour each (possibly up to an hour and a half) on track (in sessions spread through the day), plus time for discussion and reflection. Anyone interested in that?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:24 pm

I would potentially be interested in this. 

Getting tuition in the Atom is difficult due to the obvious problem of not being able to speak to the instructor

When you say the trackday fee is included does that mean for the tuition time or to drive my own car when not being taught ?

Ben

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:20 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
I would potentially be interested in this. 

Getting tuition in the Atom is difficult due to the obvious problem of not being able to speak to the instructor

When you say the trackday fee is included does that mean for the tuition time or to drive my own car when not being taught ?

Ben

[/quote]
No that fee would only cover the training car and the drivers driving it, if you wanted to add a car there would be an additional fee. I might be able to get a greatly reduced fee though if it as done alongside the training in the BMW.

It would be essential to have intercoms in Atoms for proper instruction as I've said to a number of people. OMP do a great one that costs about £70 from Demon Tweeks and Grand Prix Racewear... well worth the money for track days and road use I would have thought.. it comes with two helmet sets (for full-face helmets) that can be quickly transferred from one helmet to another. We used them a couple of weeks ago in Caterhams (er, "the other track car"... it's like mentioning Macbeth in front of 'Actors' isn't it? lol)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:24 pm

You are allowed to use the 'C' word here, Tim

You just have to turn around three times and spit when you do...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

BenElliottRacing

Post by BenElliottRacing » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:10 am

In a similar light to tim. My Elise is 699 for a day + track fee. Winter is upon us so the trackday fees are lower. Pick an open pit lane day and split between 3 people and you've got a lot of training time for <300 each. There are a couple of bedford days coming up (3rd and 24th december).

If you fancy doing one of these bedford days in your car. I can do a days tuition for 150 as it's just down the road from me. Thats 269 total for the day.

Give me a shout if you fancy it!!

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:33 am

Xmas eve sounds fun, can i dress up as Santa?
I'll i-mail you

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:37 am

Okay, so what's an i-mail?

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:54 am

it's to technical for you John ;D

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:04 am

ok Ben Elliott,  ben yeats and I are up for xmas eve, we will bring 1 Atom and 2 very big drivers, feel free to mail me when you see this.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:19 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
Okay, so what's an i-mail?[/quote]

It's where the cost of something becomes so expensive you pay for it in surgical donor body parts. "i-mail: is the ghetto slang spelled version, not to be confused with the cockney slang stuff some of you thow 'round willy nilly.

Hey it's early here (7:15am), I'm just getting warmed up...be here all day.... ;)

ka mano

Post by ka mano » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:23 am

I see you no longer have a lone star.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:27 am

When you are without an Atom it's easy! Just look what the long 6month or so wait for one has done for AtomFun's stats.  :o  <insert rim shot> ;D