Tesco 99

AtomFun

Tesco 99

Post by AtomFun » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:41 pm

Tescos forecourts down my way have just started selling 99 octane unleaded. I believe it's to be sold at all Tesco forecourts.

Has anyone noticed a difference between ordinary unleaded and the higher cotane super unleaded?

David Ryan

Re: Tesco 99

Post by David Ryan » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:57 am

I will only buy BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax. These are better quality fuels and actually give a better MPG than the cheaper stuff.

I am very interested to hear about the Tesco petrol and will give it a try. Normally, the last place you should buy your fuel for high performance cars is from the supermarkets. TVR go as far as advising their customers not to buy the stuff!

David Ryan

Post by David Ryan » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:11 am

Just looked this up on the net.

Tesco's are adding something called bio-ethane to the fuel to give it a higher octane rating. Interesting to note that you have seen it down your way John because they say they are trialling it in 12 stations down in London and the South East.

If I see some in my area, I will try it but I suspect it is just the normal supermarket rubbish with additives. Many say that the supermarket fuel is cheaply refined and very gritty. Gritty bits in your engine are not good!

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:46 am

I guess it's down this way David because Tescos just rebuilt one of their forecourts. I know it's available in Oxford too.

When I had my Scooby I used Shell Optimax. There was a massive thread running on scoobynet forum about the merits or otherwise of using Supermarket petrol. The conclusion was, well there wasn't one! Many of those contributing the the discussion were either guessing or misinformed but occasionally there was some input from very informed people - refinery staff etc etc. (that's if you believe what they said of course).

I don't know if there is a definative answer on the subject of supermarket fuels but it would be interesting.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:25 pm

I was told by the factory to use 97 in my 220 and i did notice a difference if i wasnlt'.  It tended to backfire more and just "not feel the same" response.

Andrew Hobson

Post by Andrew Hobson » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:08 pm

There was a massive thread running on scoobynet forum about the merits or otherwise of using Supermarket petrol. The conclusion was, well there wasn't one! Many of those contributing the the discussion were either guessing or misinformed but occasionally there was some input from very informed people - refinery staff etc etc. (that's if you believe what they said of course).

I don't know if there is a definative answer on the subject of supermarket fuels but it would be interesting.

I am a great fan of Honest John in the Telegraph on Saturday.  (Also see http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/home/index.htm)  He seems to know what he is talking about on all things motoring.  He says avoid supermarket petrol because of its lack of additives etc.