Atom Alternator Capacity?

AtomFun

Atom Alternator Capacity?

Post by AtomFun » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:49 pm

Hi guys

Just wondering what the max output is from the alternator?

With all the demands for power especially from heated clothing - 8 to 10 amps per person, I just wonder if the alternator is capable of producing this amount whilst keeping the battery charged?

benyeats

Re: Atom Alternator Capacity?

Post by benyeats » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:00 pm

Don't know about that but I know that having the lights on without the engine for quite a short time last night pretty much flattened my battery.  Since the alternator is likely to be from a Honda Civic which has a heater, electric air con, electric windows (at least they probably do never been in one and never going to) I imagine the capacity will be ample.

Ben

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:04 pm

I wasn't even sure if the alternator on the Atom was the same as that fitted to a the Civic Type R - could have been a substantial weight save to use something less beefy.

Heater on Civic is likely to be water heated and air con will be direct belt driven - I think!

Hope you have a great time at Cadwel.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:07 pm

Note the words "probably" and "imagine" in my post.

Agreed you could use a much lighter one but on the other hand don't recall seeing it mentioned in any of the publicity material which is exactly the kind of thing Ariel seem to mention.

I will take a look later and see if mine has a mini metro alternator or something else.  Seems to have charged the battery up fully on a 10 mile run to the office.

Ben

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:10 pm

Don't remind me of the Metro - conjures up memories of rust!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:25 pm

The 'Red Top' battery is a race battery and not intended to do anything but start the car. I always disconnect mine if leaving the car for more than 7 days as the immobiliser will flatten it after that. Leaving the lights on for longer than five minutes without the engine running will drain the battery nicely!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:03 pm

Blimey! Do you have an isolation switch to disconnect the battery or do you physically disconnect from the terminal?

Hey! You'll soon be a hero like me. :)

coxm

Post by coxm » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:45 pm

No idea what alternator it has, but you can drive to the Ring with main beam on all the way and heated clothing on.  Battery was fine.  I would surmise the same as Ben.  Lightweight alternators are very expensive and I can't imagine Simon does so without making a noise about it.  It will be a standard Honda one, which is designed for all the stuff American Grannies do to cars, while towing trailers with all the lights and other switches (like heated seats, heated rear window) and so on turned on.

I don't think you need worry....

MC

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:53 pm

[quote="coxm"]
I don't think you need worry....

MC
[/quote]

Can't get better than that - I'll be warm!