Anyone like to take a bet?

dingo

Anyone like to take a bet?

Post by dingo » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:23 pm

Dear Chaps: (that's Aussie and inlcudes chicks)
We're headed off, Rhoda and me on a 400 mile round trip from Seattle to Seaside, (yes that's it's name) Oregon this weekend.
I've changed the front springs back to the softer assisters used for track set up.
Crisper turn in and a greatly improved sense of control in my opinion at anything above 40 mph.
Anyone care to bet that Rhoda fails to notice the difference? No disrespect intended here. Just a friendly wager.

FAST BUCK

Re: Anyone like to take a bet?

Post by FAST BUCK » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:05 pm

she wont notice a thing, is she driving?

dingo

Post by dingo » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:38 pm

Er....NO !  Are you kidding?! Is this a trick to persuade me to write for public consumption that I cannot BEAR to be driven by my wife?

She pays about (max) 35% attention to the task at hand. I regret to say it's true.
I'm NOT generalising to ALL women, mind you. Just our Rhoda. Great wife and all, just amazing to me she's still alive.
This "feature" is not limited to the driving of a car. She's this way in the kitchen too. One must keep one's wits about if in the kitchen with her. She knows this is a problem and yet she damages herself with regularity in the kitchen, doing too many things at once. (a WHOLE NEW THREAD potential! )
Cuts, scrapes, burns floor drops, you name it. She grabs things straight from the oven even. With her bare hands!
Last edited by dingo on Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:50 pm

But you wouldn't trade her in would you?

dingo

Post by dingo » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:57 pm

I haven't entertained any offers if that's what you mean. A newer model?
Just when I've almost figured out all the idiosyncracies of this model? Upn reflection, I think not.
I am trading my 2003 M3 for a 997 Type S though. I'll get back to you. ....
Contax 645 for a Zeiss Ikon is another possibility.  Hmmm/ Now you've got me thinking.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:51 pm

[quote="dingo"]
She pays about (max) 35% attention to the task at hand. I regret to say it's true.
I'm NOT generalising to ALL women, mind you. Just our Rhoda. Great wife and all, just amazing to me she's still alive.
[/quote]

Could easily swap names Rhoda with Clare and that would describe her driving.  Often 0.000001mm from the bumper of the car in front

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:05 pm

I don't like riding shotgun with almost ANYONE else driving. Daryl is a good driver and actually, probably drives more than me with a regular commute to Canary Wharf (when she's not regularly commuting to NY or Tokyo) as most of my petrol consumption is on two wheels. But I will always drive if we're going anywhere, unless I am so tired that I can't keep my eyes open with matchsticks. She does do that sightseeing thing whilst she drives in new places though - and that scares the willies out of me!

It's not just her, though. I feel the same with anyone whose driving I don't know - ideally anyone holding the wheel should also hold both a race licence and an IAM certificate before I'll settle back and enjoy the ride. I have a mate who insists on riding in the back with anyone whose driving he doesn't know. I keep telling him he's safer in the front, but he takes no notice!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:51 pm

I am pretty much the same, really really prefer to drive.  Several reasons

i)  My fault and no one else's if it goes wrong
ii) I love driving and most others are indifferent
iii) General control freakary

Ben

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:03 pm

[quote="dingo"]
Dear Chaps: (that's Aussie and inlcudes chicks)
We're headed off, Rhoda and me on a 400 mile round trip from Seattle to Seaside, (yes that's it's name) Oregon this weekend.

[/quote]

At least Rhoda gets in the car.  After 9 months of ownership Brenda is still refusing and after my little spin on the motorway (freeway) she has made very rude remarks (even though I passed my advanced driving test) and states "She would rather walk on broken glass bare foot than drive over it in an Atom".

Some people might see this as a bonus, that their wive takes no interest in their husbands car, but I woulld like her to have one go in it.  Even if it's just to confirm it's better than sitting on the washing machine with the spin cycle on.  ;)

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:46 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
Even if it's just to confirm it's better than sitting on the washing machine with the spin cycle on.  ;)
[/quote]

It's blatantly clear that Brenda doesn't read the posts you make in this forum!

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:26 am

Back to the original thread topic.  Rhoda had a lovely time.  Only after 5 hours (moving) today did she
complain a bit of a sore neck.  The weather was kind. The roads glorious in parts, boring in others.
We followed and lead alternatively with a friend in a Boxster. Car ran brilliantly. 
A few extra buzzes were heard and we will seek out and eliminate, naturellement. 

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:48 am

Dingo,

Photos?

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:56 am

[quote="John Lloyd"]
Dingo,

Photos?
[/quote]

Don't be so rude asking for photos of Rhoda like that!