Optimim Payload Weight

AtomFun

Optimim Payload Weight

Post by AtomFun » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:49 pm

Is there an optimum weight of driver/passenger for the Atom?

I'm 17st so presumably the Atom will lose on acceleration compared to a lighter driver (driver = driver + Passenger combined weight). Will the Atom have more grip with a heavier payload?

I'm guessing cornering will be slower with a heavier driver as the centrifugal forces will be greater?

So is there an optimum weight?

I'm on a diet!!!!  ;D

John Lloyd

Re: Optimim Payload Weight

Post by John Lloyd » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:41 pm

JC,

When you weren't in the car with me at the Llandow trackday I did everything a gear higher.  :D  :D  ;D  ;D

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:49 pm

Yeah yeah, rub it in!! I do remember you saying but does the fact that you were in a lower gear make the car slower, id on't know the answer. Was the grip for straightline power down better and was itt more difficult to corner?

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:04 pm

I think the reality is with a good driver in, the lighter the car the faster you go.  Or all formula one drivers would go round in trucks.  "Extra weight" may help me or you go round a corner better only because the back end wouldn't step out.  Other people go round the bends in lighter cars faster, because they have better skills.
Last edited by John Lloyd on Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:32 am

what you will find John is that because of your huge belly ;D when your driving on your own the front passenger wheel will lock up first under braking, unless you have the car balanced for just you driving.
Mine is set to have a 15 stone person in the passenger seat.
p.s my girlfriend does not weigh 15 stone!

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:52 am

You leave my belly out of this! I've just eaten a bowl of Special K! Went for a jog last night and a fast walk earlier.

I'm on the sick today.

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:27 am

[quote="FAST BUCK"]
p.s my girlfriend does not weigh 15 stone!
[/quote]
Surely if she weighs more than 15 stone, you should have had the car set up for someone that's more than 15 stone ?

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:47 am

i'll give you that one Andy!