Rear wing fitting advice

Atomicandy

Rear wing fitting advice

Post by Atomicandy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:25 pm

I will be fitting my new rear wing soon. I’ve read you need to reposition the high level brake light.
Could someone post what it’s supposed to look like with the rear wing fitted and the brake light

Cheers

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Rear wing fitting advice

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:56 pm

If it's the standard Ariel rear wing then you'll need a modified number plate bracket that provides the 6 holes to bolt the bottom of the 2 vertical aluminium brackets to.

It also comes with the black subframe, the front of which needs to bolt to the same hole that the existing high level brake light is fitted to, hence the need to relocate the high level brake light.

The existing high level brake light is glued to a small flat mounting bracket that needs to be removed and replaced by a slightly different one.
I found it very difficult to prize these 2 apart and ended up asking the factory to send me another - you can't apply too much force as the light itself is quite delicate plastic and easy to break !

As well as the modified backing plate, the mounting kit comes with some additional 'P' Clips to mount the new backing plate to the black subframe in its relocated position. This is further to the rear of the car and the electric cable is quite short and will be quite a stretch. Don't pull it too tight as it runs through the middle of some of the chassis trubes and re-appears at the bottom left of the car. It's water sealed at the entry and exit points by some mastic.

Here's a pic of the relocated position.- This one's not my car (Rob McPherson's) nor my photo ..
Also a pic showing the number plate bracket and the high level brake light cable exiting the chassis at the rear lower left of the chassis showing the in-line connector.

Hope this helps ..
Attachments
20120610_160639.jpg
20120610_160639.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 933 times
rear wing mount.jpg
rear wing mount.jpg (68.7 KiB) Viewed 933 times
rob mcphersons rear wing mount (Medium).jpg
rob mcphersons rear wing mount (Medium).jpg (70.59 KiB) Viewed 933 times
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Atomicandy

Re: Rear wing fitting advice

Post by Atomicandy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:24 pm