AGM Replacement for Braille B20145 Battery

swaltner

AGM Replacement for Braille B20145 Battery

Post by swaltner » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:22 am

I replaced the battery in my brammo-built Atom 2 with a stock Braille B20145 battery back in early 2012. That battery looks to have given up the ghost (won't even start after having it on a battery tender for a week). Looking for a replacement, that battery seems to have been discontinued. I don't think I can go any larger than the dimensions of the stock B20145 battery, which is listed as 7.12" x 3.00" x 6.54" on Summit Racing's web site.

What's suitable replacement AGM battery to use instead? (no Lithium options please)

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: AGM Replacement for Braille B20145 Battery

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

swaltner

Post by swaltner » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:55 am

Thanks John. I'll order a PC680 battery tonight.

I was actually kind of hoping that would be a suitable replacement. I had a dead PC680 battery sitting in the hangar in my back yard. A friend had given me this bad PC680 battery to trial fit for fabricating cables in the airplane that I'm building. I'll have that completed and flying soon and will have a steady flow of two-year old PC680 batteries that can be migrated over to the Atom. If people are looking for gently used PC680 batteries, look up the local EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) chapter. Many of the recent designs from Van's Aircraft specifically call out the PC680 battery.

I don't quite know why the specs for the battery size are so different. The B20145 and PC680 batteries that I have are almost exactly the same dimensions (within 1/32" in all dimensions). The terminals are at slightly different positions (maybe moved 1/2" between the two batteries). Before posting my original message, I looked at the PC680 and noticed that the CCA rating on the PC680 was a little lower than the now-unavailable B20145 battery. I should be fine though, since I rarely, if ever, take the Atom out when the temps are below 10 C.

Thanks for the prodding to double-check the dimensions of the battery I already had here at the house.

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:11 am

My Odyssey battery lasted 2 years and one month (one month beyond the warranty). >:( The package says that the battery dosen't need a trickle charger to keep it's charge...which was the case until the 25th month. The dealer subsequently recommended keeping it on a trickle charger.

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 am

[quote="Flying Phil"]
My Odyssey battery lasted 2 years and one month (one month beyond the warranty). >:( The package says that the battery dosen't need a trickle charger to keep it's charge...which was the case until the 25th month. The dealer subsequently recommended keeping it on a trickle charger.
[/quote]

Don't feel too bad about this. Mine lasted 2 years and 3 months and was always on trickle charge. :doh:

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris