Clutchless Atom

5VEN

Clutchless Atom

Post by 5VEN » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:30 am

Hi all,

I have an unusual question about clutch management. Due to a disability, I'm not able to use the left foot for the clutch pedal.

My question is: what are the possibilities for alternative use of the gearbox/clutch system in order to avoid using the left foot.

I currently race with a Fun Cup that has a sequential gearbox + added click'n go system (basically the clutch pedal can be actuated by pulling it down via a cable and an electric motor). This works fine since upshifting is done without clutch use and for downshifting I depress the clutch via the Click'n Go system to reduce strain on the gearbox.

I've yet to purchase an Atom but I wanted to know what models offer the best chances of upgrading to sequential (since sequential requires less clutch action) or if any other model/gearbox would help my case.

Also, how "hard" is the clutch pedal on the atoms compared to standard road cars? The click'n go system for example has a limit pulling force/travel that I need to consider.

Thanks a lot.

5VEN

Re: Clutchless Atom

Post by 5VEN » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks for that.
So with an H box this would be quite a good solution.

However, I think that for the racetrack use I intend to have, a sequential would be best. I've seen that the "geartronics" paddle shift system allows clutchless downshifts so that would work for me.

Anybody knows if the paddle shift system that Ariel installs allows clutchless downshift? If not, anyone has experience with a geartronics system?

TA.

alanoo

Post by alanoo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:15 am

[quote="5VEN"]
Thanks for that.
So with an H box this would be quite a good solution.

However, I think that for the racetrack use I intend to have, a sequential would be best. I've seen that the "geartronics" paddle shift system allows clutchless downshifts so that would work for me.

Anybody knows if the paddle shift system that Ariel installs allows clutchless downshift? If not, anyone has experience with a geartronics system?

TA.
[/quote]

The geartronics system is the best in class. As far as I know it is the one that Ariel uses
Of course it allows clutchless downshifts

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:54 am

5VEN,

The Sadev Sequential gearbox will change both up and down the gears without the use of the clutch.

However - you still need a clutch pedal to move away from traffic lights, come to a stand still and round town.

There are parameters that the GCU needs to see before it allows clutchless shifting:

At least on the throttle for upshifts
at least off the throttle and above 3,000RPM to shift down.

The harder you are accelerating, the faster the upshift, the harder you are braking, the faster the downshift. It has an auto-blip for down shifts and can be run on ignition cut (faster shifting, but noisey) or injector cut (slower shifts, but smoother)

Any other questions please give us a ring at the factory!

the clutch pedal feels reasonably light as it does not require a hugely uprated clutch to deal with the low weight of the car.
1992 Landrover Defender 200TDi - Heavily Modified
1966 Landrover Series IIa - Fairly Original.
2004 Fcous ST170 You Guessed it, Heavily modified!
1977 UAZ 452 'Loaf'
On the waiting list for a Nomad... mine comes when yours is finished.