Low tire temperatures in cold weather

PeR4

Low tire temperatures in cold weather

Post by PeR4 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:01 pm

Had the AA2 on a trackday this week here up north, fairly cold conditions with air temperature 4 degrees C and track surface the same, windy and a little rain, including some snowflakes.. I used brand new Kumho V700, soft front and medium rear. Cold pressure at 12 psi. Camber and toe as the factory recommends for the AA2, the adjustable Ohlins at factory settings, and height 120/115 mm.

I tried getting temperature in the tires, and they got better after 6-7 km pushing(drifting and understeering in a good mix), but never properly warm.

Anyone got tricks to increase tire temperatures when conditions are as described? I guess it is the low weight that is the "problem"..

Erland

KrisC2

Re: Low tire temperatures in cold weather

Post by KrisC2 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:47 am

Factory recommended to me 24F/22R PSi in Kumho's as they have a softer side wall than A048. I recently did a track day On Kumho's and also could not get temperature in them. Took it easy trying to build it up but managed to loose the back end along with confidence on the day.

All a lot easier with double digit upward air temperatures.

PeR4

Post by PeR4 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:16 am

Yes, important that the track has good runoffs, and to keep a healthy distance from other cars when trying hard to build temperature.

OK, thats higher than the roadpressure Im using, I will check Khumos website  :)
Last edited by PeR4 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wasp

Post by wasp » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:17 pm

[quote="KrisC2"]
Factory recommended to me 24F/22R PSi in Kumho's as they have a softer side wall than A048.
All a lot easier with double digit upward air temperatures.
[/quote]

+1

I've run on these pressures this year when I changed from A 048's.

These are correct and the car works brilliantly on them when there is temperature to be had. First run out at Silverstone it was about 4 degrees and the car was everywhere, a real handful even at 40-50mph. As soon as temperature built up, the grip was significantly better than the Yokos.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

PhillipM

Post by PhillipM » Tue May 02, 2017 12:08 am

Run a little more toe to introduce some extra tyre slip is the usual way - used to be very common to see loads of toe and camber on the rear of FWD BTCC cars, etc, in order to heat the tyres.

PeR4

Post by PeR4 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks for good advice!

Today a trackday when both tarmac and air above 20 degrees C, the khumos at increased pressures worked well!
When tires function everything happends faster than before