AA3 Headlight Wiring

Alain

AA3 Headlight Wiring

Post by Alain » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:30 am

Hey guys,

I'm new to world of Atoms and having picked one up on Friday, I've got a few things on my to-do list.

The car is currently missing the headlights, however all other lights are in place (side lights, indicators, brake lights, rain light, numberplate light and a reversing light). All the switchgear is in place too.

Now, as I don't have the original headlights for reference, nor a wiring diagram, I was hoping someone with headlights fitted might be able to provide me with a little info with regards to how they are connected?

I've found that there is a 3 pin connector under the dash that is currently not connected to anything:

Wire 1 (White/Blue) - 12v on high beam / switch position 2
Wire 2 (White/Green) - 12v on low beam / switch position 1
Wire 3 (White/Brown) - 0v

Now, clearly that provides a power feed to the lights in some way, but I presume it provides power through a relay, rather than directly through the switch?

Any information about how the light units are connected up would be great! :)

Also, if anyone is selling some headlights, let me know!

Rocket Man

Re: AA3 Headlight Wiring

Post by Rocket Man » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:15 pm

different lights for different models ????

Alain

Post by Alain » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:43 pm

[quote="Rocket Man"]
different lights for different models ????
[/quote]

I'm not sure what you are referring to. Are you asking for details of the model Atom I have?

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:44 pm

is it an Atom 1,2 or 3. should it have its headlights next to the mirrors or at the front near the front wheels

Alain

Post by Alain » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Apologies - It's an Atom 3 245.

Front side markers / indicators at the wishbones and headlights should be mounted at the mirrors / dash.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Alain

Having last yearupgraded my Atom lights to the 3.5 Projector/LED lighting spec I have a complete set of original (working) front & rear Atom 3 lights (Side/brake/indicators/headlights) available - let me know if you are interested.

- the only downside is that they are currently in Cyprus but getting them to you is not insurmountable using a carrier!!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

911tom

Post by 911tom » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Have to say the stock headlights are poor! I recently upgraded mine and moved them to the front of the car. They are now really bright!

http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,16665.0.html
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:13 pm

This shows where the relevant Lighting Fuses and Relays are located ..

Copyright belongs to AAOC and this is an extract from the ariel atom 3 owner's handbook
Attachments
Fuses2.jpg
Fuses1.jpg
Last edited by John Scherrer on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Cjg62

Post by Cjg62 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi Alain,

I have some LED headlight kits available, see pose below for further details.
http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,16020.msg282224.html#msg282224
Chris

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:40 am

[quote="Alain"]
I've found that there is a 3 pin connector under the dash that is currently not connected to anything:
Now, clearly that provides a power feed to the lights in some way, but I presume it provides power through a relay, rather than directly through the switch?
[/quote]
Hi Alain,
I replaced mine with the same LED units Chris uses, but kept them by the mirrors and reused the rubber housing. As these have indicators in them, and my loom didn't provide a feed, I stripped back the loom to bring two separate feeds up, one for each side.

I can't recall if I had a single 3-pin that powered both lamps prior to this, but I suspect I did. If you are planning on installing a pair of standard headlamps then power them from that single 3-pin.
Attachments
0037-3.jpg
Last edited by smokin on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

911tom

Post by 911tom » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:10 am

100% there was a plug for each headlight on my atom 3.
Ariel Atom 4 350hp
Porsche 996 turbo for straight line speed
350BHP Astra van
Porsche cayenne to transport the family

smokin

Post by smokin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:20 am

[quote="911tom"]
100% there was a plug for each headlight on my atom 3.
[/quote]
Tom, did yours have indicators in the rubber mount?
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

Alain

Post by Alain » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:37 am

Cheers guys,

Some really useful information here.  :tu:

At the moment, I don't mind whether or not I end up using the original spec lights as the goal is to get the car through an IVA, so any legal headlight is good. I can then look at upgrading them.

Ideally, rather than bolt on some generic kit car headlamps, I'd like to figure out the stock setup. I'm going to chase the wiring from the switch tonight and see whether or not the relays are being triggered or whether the 3 pin connector I've found should indeed be routed to the relay as the trigger feeds.

There are a couple of other 3 pin connectors (photo attached) which each house a blue, blue/black and black wire. I was initially expecting those to show 12v when I switched the lights on, but there was nothing. A little more investigation needed...

If anyone that has upgraded does want to get rid of the original units, please do let me know. Autobackup - If there's nothing more local, I may well give you a shout (thank you kindly for the offer!).
Attachments
Connector1.jpg

Alain

Post by Alain » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Well, thanks to a combination of autobackup providing me with a photo of some original headlights and John's fuse box reference photos I've managed to get everything working as expected.

It turns out the feed from the headlight switch to the relay was cut and wrapped, so simply needed some spade terminals, and slotting into the switch. I have now a 12v feed to the two 3 way connectors under the dash, a working main beam indicator on the dash and a working rain / fog light.

Thanks al!

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:00 am

Yay!

Well done ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold