Helmet Lift and Bubble screens

haymanator

Re: Helmet Lift and Bubble screens

Post by haymanator » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:38 pm

too true! one never wants to be t-boned in one, they do have a habit of squishing ones pelvis between the transmission tunnel and the car that hit ya! a bust pelvis isn't nice!!
the bodywork really only keeps stones out as its just a very thin skin of soft ali!
somewhere i have a pic of me being wiped out in one at snetterton a few years ago. the offside rear wing is flying through the air, the o/s rear wheel and axle is bent, and the front of the offending car is still in shot, bad...well yes it is because what you can also see is my elbow outside the car just inches away from the other one (because i didn't like racing it with the sidescreens on you can see it)....eeeeek!

szemy

Post by szemy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:57 pm

and what happens to an atom without a roll over bar?

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:33 pm

A colleague of mine had an interesting moment in an R400 at Silverstone last year.... giving high speed passenger rides on the south circuit, he was just turning into Ireland, accelerating flat in fifth (about 120 mph) when the UJ on the front end of the prop shaft let go!  :o  After it had battered a hole in each side of the tunnel, hitting the passenger on the leg (and causing severe bruising), as the now out of control car ran into the gravel trap, the prop dug in and the car pivoted over it like a pole vaulter... it came to rest, fortunately, just a couple of feet from the armco barrier!

coxm

Post by coxm » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:46 am

Atom without a roll bar?  Put it like this, its going to be light years better than a Crate without a roll bar.  If you want any kind of protection at all in a Crate, you need the full cage.  On an Atom, all you really need to add is roll over protection

MC