Steering wheel, alternative quick release boss

meladdo

Re: Steering wheel, alternative quick release boss

Post by meladdo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:39 pm

What ever you choose, and I would not choose an unknown name  to me! Make sure you have a very competent welder to do the job!

A bolt on is the better option if you already have the threaded column, however with a bolt on boss kit it will put the steering wheel much closer to you, that may well be the desired result but if you have long arms like me every bit the wheel is closer to the dash is a plus!

The Lifeline one is standard fit on the Atom and is about the same price as the others linked to. :tu:

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:59 pm

[quote="meladdo"]
The Lifeline one is standard fit on the Atom and is about the same price as the others linked to. :tu:
[/quote]

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/steering-wheels/lifeline-steering-boss

Or more specifically, I recall it's this one:
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/lifeline-formula-car-quick-release-steering-boss-410-100-001

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:31 pm

Thank you for the advice and the links.
I have the SPA version at my Atom 3 and I know the Lifeline from some posts here.
Welding and pinning would be done by a certified shop if needed.

I do not intend to start a new discussion about the play in the boss construction (spline version) but actually this is the reason why I was asking about experience with the 3 mentioned bosses, which work different.
In general I would prefer the factory solution with the Lifeline, which as a plug and play spare part including welded column would also safe me a lot of time.
But I am not really satisfied with the idea, that this spline construction already has a (very little) amount of play even when new, which becomes more and more over the driven miles.
You may say, that I could see it as a wear part, similar to brake disks and pads and so it also needs to be replaced after some miles.
But as there obviously are better or at least different solutions available I do not want to consider the play in the spline construction as kind of "normal" or "standard".

The GO-RACE boss is Made in UK and the WorksBell Rapfix is Made in Japan; not sure where the OMP comes from though.

Unlike the spline versions the manufactureres of those 3 bosses promote them to be withouth any play at all, even after some miles of use.
Last edited by K20A2 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ccconn

Post by ccconn » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:29 pm

I had the Rapfiix one on my last Caterham and it was a fantastic bit of kit that had the added bonus of no slack in the splines because it uses ball bearings to lock in place
Took up any slack was brilliant
If you can find someone like Merlin who make them with the shaft on them I would be interested as I would like to go back to one

Chris

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi Chris,

how long (miles) did you use it on your Caterham?
Was there any difference in usage from beginning to end of your ownership?
Did the Caterham already come with the Rapfix or did you add it by yourself?

Thank you.

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:05 pm

Sorry I can't help, but I too would be very interested in a quick release coupling that doesn't suffer from play. I've had two from the factory and now switched back to a "fixed" steering wheel. I would much prefer a removable wheel but I really don't want any play in the steering.

Keep us all posted  :)
Atom 3 300

reg

Post by reg » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:19 pm

I'm going to have a look at the Rapfiix, it can't be that hard to graft it onto the stock column. I don't appear o have much movement in mine but I like the location idea, rather than splines.
'he was reet fast'

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:02 pm

From the MOT:

Free play allowed depends on type of steering: 75mm for non-rack and pinion, 13mm for rack and pinion steering. Where there are several joints between the steering wheel and the rack, up to 48mm on a 380mm diameter wheel may be accepted.

I think you'll find that even on the wobbliest wheel, the Atom is significantly better than any of that.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:18 pm

I would say mine has about 3mm in the whole system and the splined column wheel QR interface is almost solid.

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Bruce,
this is quite a lot. :o
Admittedly my play is far away from that and I would not like to test such a play in an Atom.
Perhaps I am a bit too sensitive.
I had the opportunity to move the steering wheels in a couple of Formula race cars with spline quick release bosses from different manufacturers and I was very surprised, that most of them had significantly more play in the mechanism than I have.
However it bothers me and being bothered is probably the last thing I like to experience in my Atom.
So it might only be me ;)
I could imagine, that this would be much better in a 3.5 or for those, who have the steering upgrade which obviously adds much more direction stability to the front. So the play would perhaps not be that noticable because I would not have to do so many correcting steering movements anymore.
Unfortunately only the factory is doing that upgrade afaik...

ccconn

Post by ccconn » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:40 am

[quote="K20A2"]
Hi Chris,

how long (miles) did you use it on your Caterham?
Was there any difference in usage from beginning to end of your ownership?
Did the Caterham already come with the Rapfix or did you add it by yourself?

Thank you.
[/quote]

Used it for about 2 years probably about 4000 miles. and it remained rock solid which is basically the selling point. I fitted it myself - pretty easy

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Chris,
may I ask, where you bought it that time?
Thanks

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:19 pm

[quote="K20A2"]
Unfortunately only the factory is doing that upgrade afaik...
[/quote]

I will see it next week.  :vroom:
Ariel Atom 3 [2010] Honda 2.0 K20Z4 with JacksonRacing SC only 370PS :H: - never, ever for sale
Abarth 595 Competizione [2016] - now my daughters car
Porsche 718 Spyder [11/2019] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb3-aNuZzQ

ccconn

Post by ccconn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:20 am

Meteor Motorsports I think in Wales
Very good chap Simon

C