Landrover Rear LED Light Conversion

Oli1122

Re: Landrover Rear LED Light Conversion

Post by Oli1122 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Did the replacement a few weeks ago.
Just for everyone who will think about it too.
Got an 10% off discount code from JGS4x4 in my order.
Discount Code: JGSFIRST

Maybe some of you want save some money.
The Wipac full Kit has already the right CF flasher modul and i can also recommend the side repeaters smokin stated.

smokin

Post by smokin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:07 pm

Update on my lighting solution. I've switched to a smoked version of the Defender LEDs and they work well, look more subdued and better imho

I liked the smoked look so much I used some porcelain black acrylic to coat the indicators in the nose.

I've always liked the idea of the indicators in the side of the JCB headlamps but hated, with a passion, the ugliness of the implementation. Using the same LEDs I have in the nose, I think they look great (in comparison).
Attachments
20170819_102628.jpg
20170819_102614.jpg
20170810_123459.jpg
20170810_123106.jpg
Last edited by smokin on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:56 pm

would love to see this car finished, it's going to be a true show stopper

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:46 am

Smokin

I like the look of your smoked LED lights but I would have strong reservations about retaining the 'mickey mouse' ear style side mounted headlights which, in practise, I soon found to be all but useless at night as I hated the unavoidable glare that was reflected back from the front mudguard/suspension/wheels.

Currently most of my driving in Cyprus is done either in the late afternoon, early evening or during the night as it it much more pleasurable than driving during the heat of the day - so upgrading to the excellent and powerful 3.5 spec LED headlights was an absolute must for me!

I genuinely believe that this was one of the best decisions I have made since I bought my Atom was to upgrade the lights to the 3.5 spec LED projectors - they absolutely have transformed night driving into a positively pleasurable experience.

Various other alternative LED options to the standard factory 3.5 LED projector upgrade that have been fitted by other members have also been interesting and, I suspect, hugely better than the original lights which have never really done the Atom any favours in either looks or effectiveness!

Moving the headlights to a position in front of the wheels completely transforms night driving!  8)
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:48 am

i still have a pair of double wave lights available that i bought for my atom 2 but never fitted. very nice lamps with dip, main and side all in one. designed for bikes but look nice on an atom (seen one done in US)
make me an offer if anyone wants them, never used in black

smokin

Post by smokin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:27 pm

In the 7 years I've had the car (blimey, has it really been that long) I've never driven it at night or in an evening when I would have needed the headlights. Unlike Cyprus it's too parky at night here in Blighty for me, even when we have a good summer.

The headlights are there purely to be road legal and for the occassional flash of gratitude. I totally agree they're next to useless for their intended purpose (I have tested them on the driveway at night).

Even after all this time though I'm still no fan of how the projectors look on the 3.5 - in pictures or up close, and since I don't need them functionally I'll be sticking with Mickey's ears (like that)
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Got to agree with Smokin.....actually thinking of removing mine apart from MOT time!

Improves the looks and the aerodynamics!

Never out at night and the new LED's give me enough daytime running