Oil temperature sensor

ccconn

Oil temperature sensor

Post by ccconn » Wed May 11, 2016 7:08 am

I find it a bit concerning not knowing oil temperature and pressure - not that I always have time to stare down at the dash!
I see form the SPA manual that you can connect a oil temp sensor on pin 7 at the back of the dash and assuming something similar for pin 4 for the oil pressure
Has anybody done this and if so did you just get sensors form Honda? and how easy was it to do

Chris

smokin

Re: Oil temperature sensor

Post by smokin » Wed May 11, 2016 7:30 am

I haven't done this but did do a little investigation a while back. A sandwich plate between oil filter / block into which you install sensors seemed the way to go. There are also temp sensors that replace the drain plug

http://hondaperformanceparts.co.uk/motor-meter-racing-oil-filter-sandwich-plate-18-npt-4-port

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/brands/tegiwa/tegiwa-3-port-oil-sandwich-plate-adaptor-honda.html
Last edited by smokin on Wed May 11, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

ccconn

Post by ccconn » Thu May 12, 2016 10:21 am

Interestingly I spoke to Steve today at the factory and he hadn't ever fitted a additional sensor to any customer cars?
I would have thought that someone must have done it
The biggest issue appears to be that the according the dash instruction there are pins ready to take feeds from oil and temperature sensors but Steve wasn't sure if the pins existed on the atom dash
If anyone has tried to connect do let me know. Only other option might be a separate gauge but relly don't like the idea of that!

C

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu May 12, 2016 10:48 am

Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

reg

Post by reg » Thu May 12, 2016 10:59 am

I might fit one of these using the sandwich plate;

Did the same in other cars and tbh I prefer the mechanical gauge. Next project  ;D
'he was reet fast'

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Thu May 12, 2016 11:06 am

[quote="reg"]

Did the same in other cars and tbh I prefer the mechanical gauge. Next project  ;D
[/quote]

I like the idea of this! Its always surprised me that the Atom doesn't come with an oil temp gauge, after all that's what you need up to temp before opening the loud pedal, the oil temp will lag behind the coolant temp so you can't go by that.

I nominate reg to be the pioneer for this project; fit one and report back please  ;)  :vroom:
Atom 3 300

reg

Post by reg » Thu May 12, 2016 11:19 am

[quote="Toilet Duck"]
[quote="reg"]

[/quote]

I like the idea of this! Its always surprised me that the Atom doesn't come with an oil temp gauge, after all that's what you need up to temp before opening the loud pedal, the oil temp will lag behind the coolant temp so you can't go by that.

I nominate reg to be the pioneer for this project; fit one and report back please  ;)  :vroom:
[/quote]
Will do. Main thing will routing the braided hose and making it nice and tidy.  :tu:
'he was reet fast'

ccconn

Post by ccconn » Thu May 12, 2016 11:52 am

This looks similar to what I out on my old Caterham
Its a good option and does seem that the SPA dash might only have limited functionality even though it does appear to have inputs in the standard unit
Looks like the sandwich plate off the back of the oil filter is the way to go
I will watch with baited breath........

reg

Post by reg » Thu May 12, 2016 3:28 pm

[quote="ccconn"]
This looks similar to what I out on my old Caterham
Its a good option and does seem that the SPA dash might only have limited functionality even though it does appear to have inputs in the standard unit
Looks like the sandwich plate off the back of the oil filter is the way to go
I will watch with baited breath........
[/quote]
I remember quite a few of us went with the mechanical setup after vibration killing the electrical sensors in short amounts of time. Some don't like running oil lines into the car but I have never had an issue myself.

Donations welcome  ;D
'he was reet fast'

ccconn

Post by ccconn » Fri May 13, 2016 7:16 am

Reg Looks like you might not be too far away from me so a joint effort might be useful?

C

reg

Post by reg » Fri May 13, 2016 12:33 pm

[quote="ccconn"]
Reg Looks like you might not be too far away from me so a joint effort might be useful?

C
[/quote]

:tu:

I'll be ordering the bits next week probably. It's a 52mm bezel and driving around last night I think it will fit to the right of the dash. This will need a bracket which I can print or make from alloy. The routing under the car is a bit of a mystery but there should be enough room. I'm not sure that the st/stl hose that is supplied as standard will be coated, so it'll have to be protected at any point it can possibly rub? Other than that it looks pretty straightforward.
'he was reet fast'

KrisC2

Post by KrisC2 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:56 pm

I recently fitted a mechanical oil pressure and electrical oil temp gauge. Used the sandwich plate as discussed. Pretty straight forward, took about a day to install.

PaulF

Post by PaulF » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:29 pm

As the old pictures are all gone, has anyone else fitted an oil temperature and pressure sensor to the Atom 3 dash or via additional gauges? I can't seem to find an analogue gauge that fits the sandwich plate.