First track day tomorrow. Tyre pressure and wing advice?

Anon

Re: First track day tomorrow. Tyre pressure and wing advice?

Post by Anon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks Henry,

Yes I mean anti-roll bars. Sounds like I won't do this as I will use it for the road as well as track, more for the track at Snetterton. I've gone for the Bilstein shocks, changing the spring rate is as simple as changing the shock collar, is this correct. Changing the compression rate, I assume you would need to change oil and or pistons? Do you normally do this on the Atom or leave alone.

I like the idea of the wider rear tyre, this will give a wider track as well. I could not see the wide wheel option on the spec sheet. Would I just pick the more expensive magnesium wheel at 265 wide?

Cheers
Simon

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Simon,

To change the spring rates you would fit the rear main springs to the front dampers, and fit an 80nm spring to the rear shocks (we have these on the shelf).

To increase compression damping you can simply increase the numbers on the adjuster (1 is soft 10 is hard) or we can send the shocks back to Bilstein and readjust for a harder Valve code, making the whole damper firmer overall. (1 being hard, 10 being harder)...

The rear mag wheels are all 16x8, the rear alloy wheels are 16x7. So yes - just tick the Mag wheel option and let us know you want a wider rear tyre and we can fit the appropriate mudguard. I would suggest a 245 tyre, to give a nice balance between road compliance and track grip.
1992 Landrover Defender 200TDi - Heavily Modified
1966 Landrover Series IIa - Fairly Original.
2004 Fcous ST170 You Guessed it, Heavily modified!
1977 UAZ 452 'Loaf'
On the waiting list for a Nomad... mine comes when yours is finished.

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 pm

[quote="HenryJS"]
Simon,

To change the spring rates you would fit the rear main springs to the front dampers, and fit an 80nm spring to the rear shocks (we have these on the shelf).

[/quote]

FWIW, I had this work carried out earlier this year plus putting the 3.5R settings onto my car. The difference on track is massive, you can really lean on the car through the corners. It does make it considerably more lively in damp/cool conditions on track but is absolutely fine as long as you are sensible on the road.
I've kept the standard 225 rear tyres but have changed to the Khumos which I think are a great tyre for the Atom.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:10 pm

[quote="wasp"]

FWIW, I had this work carried out earlier this year plus putting the 3.5R settings onto my car. The difference on track is massive, you can really lean on the car through the corners. It does make it considerably more lively in damp/cool conditions on track but is absolutely fine as long as you are sensible on the road.
I've kept the standard 225 rear tyres but have changed to the Khumos which I think are a great tyre for the Atom.

Cheers,
Stu
[/quote]

Is the new rear spring softer than stock? I would imagine the car is less flat but more grip, is this how the car feels for you? I want to reduce the oversteer when I get my car and be able to push. How easy it is to change springs on the Bilsteins?

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm

[quote="simonrhart"]
[quote="wasp"]

Cheers,
Stu
[/quote]

Is the new rear spring softer than stock? I would imagine the car is less flat but more grip, is this how the car feels for you? I want to reduce the oversteer when I get my car and be able to push. How easy it is to change springs on the Bilsteins?
[/quote]

No, it's as per Henry's post above. The standards rear spring is 60nm and it's replaced with the 80nm one. The 60's are on the front of mine replacing a softer one. Tom suggested it and it was a spot on call.
It does feel a little stiffer of course but there's still a good degree of compliance in the whole setup. I like it a lot more than the standard setup but as mentioned in my last post, it's part of a package of changes that was made. All of mine was done at the Factory but they are very helpful and will put on whatever settings you want.
I'm not sure that you'll ever be able to dial out all of the oversteer from an Atom and tbh, I'd much rather have oversteer than understeer.
Henry really is your best man for advice on this (don't let the beard put you off ;D)

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:32 pm

What are you paying for the Khumos Stu?
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:31 pm

[quote="Sir Nick"]
What are you paying for the Khumos Stu?
[/quote]

Sorry Nick, no idea.
I had the tyres along with all of the other work earlier this year.  I would have paid whatever the Factory rate was.
I imagine that you went through a set on the sportugal trip though huh? ;)

Are they proving difficult to get?

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 pm

I just wondered is all. I'm on Avon ZZRs, mainly becuase I get a few extra miles, oh and I pick them up from the their factory in Melksham! 
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:49 am

[quote="Sir Nick"]
I just wondered is all. I'm on Avon ZZRs, mainly becuase I get a few extra miles, oh and I pick them up from the their factory in Melksham!
[/quote]
The zzr's are a good tyre for sure and I know lots of people who swear by them but I suspect that the Khumos are a little better on track. They also wear much much less than the A048's.
Cheers
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 am

How many miles on track do you get from the Kumhos? Do you have equipment to fit them yourself or do you take your car to a garage to fit.

cheers
Simon

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:20 am

[quote="simonrhart"]
How many miles on track do you get from the Kumhos? Do you have equipment to fit them yourself or do you take your car to a garage to fit.

cheers
Simon
[/quote]

I've done 3 track days and about 500 miles on the road and they are possibly only half worn. In comparison, I found that I was going through a set of rears on the A048's every 3 days. The Factory fitted them for me and I don't expect to need to renew them for at least another 3-4 track days, depending on where I go. No reason that any fitter couldn't do them though.
Often the Factory is cheapest for tyres anyway and I like supporting them. They give great service and lots of free advice should you need it, so it seems only reasonable to support those who support you.

Cheers,
Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 am

Yes I will use the factory for servicing and big ticket items etc. for small stuff like tyres I will need to get it done locally because I live in Norfolk, quite a way from Somerset. Tom did tell me there is another chap up this way with an Atom so for servicing both cars could be done at the same time if poss to lower the transport costs.

Simon