TTS supercharger

Lord Studley

Re: TTS supercharger

Post by Lord Studley » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:58 pm

Just thought I'd check in case the the missus stops coming out in the car and I miss the constant whining. ;D :vroom:

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Jackson Racing Superchargers are still out there, JR just handed over the brand name and rights to Moss Motors.

It's just a bolt on assembly with some custom parts to fit the Atom, other vendor superchargers are available and can be made to fit if necessary.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Is that as in moss that do a lot of mg/ mx5 parts???

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:06 pm

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:20 pm

[quote="dc5ian"]
i dont think its a case of them running out. its more to do with the emissions getting stricter and stricter every year and the natural progression of producing more economic cars.
[/quote]

Completely correct.

The K20z was never going to be compliant with the new Euro emission regs hence Honda had to produce a brand new turbocharged engine for the new Civic R  (part of the new earthdreams engine range)
Wondering when this will filter down to the latest Atom.

Stew

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:35 am

will the Atom ever get the 2.4 engine and if so will that get the SC. If so what HP will that engine produce??

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:37 am

Unless Tom pops up with an answer, we can only guess !

Here's the TMI Atom 3S - K24 2.4 litre with turbocharger making 365 bhp

http://arielatom.com/atom3s/

My hunch is that if the UK Ariel was going that way, they'd have done it already and the US would follow ..
So in the UK, we'll probably forgo the K24 altogether and go for the new Honda turbo engine?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:33 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
My hunch is that if the UK Ariel was going that way, they'd have done it already and the US would follow ..
So in the UK, we'll probably forgo the K24 altogether and go for the new Honda turbo engine?
[/quote]

That would be mine too, but just as Honda now how a challenge with the Civic Type R, so I guess will Ariel.  I'm referring to the much lower red-line, and so less charismatic engine.

That said one of the engine's I liked the most in recent times was a turbo charged 2litre.... loved the way you could feel and hear the boost building.  However I like the direct nature of the current Atom, it goes hand in hand with the lack of weight and inertia free feel.

julian

Post by julian » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:35 pm

I am not a technical  person at all but I know Ariel didn't have any super charges on the shelf for retro fitting. The ones they had were cars being built or on order.

The reason for that was cost, if they bought them from Jackson, they would want a minimum order and with the new engine Ariel didn't want to get stuck with expensive stock.

They are obviously ok now with this issue.

I think I am correct with the above?

Lord Studley

Post by Lord Studley » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:36 pm

So are there many good companies that will turbo your engine?

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:06 am

lots of companies out there that would do it. finding a decent one is hard. there is alot of fabrication work ie exhaust, manifold and boost piping. its not like you can buy a kit and bolt it on.

my car is at solid fab now having new boost piping made, manifold and exhaust. the log manifold i was using similar to the atom 3s from the states is very restrictive. so im having a more free flowing manifold and intake manifold installed to free up some power.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:51 am

[quote="phil4"]
[quote="John Scherrer"]
[/quote]

That would be mine too, but just as Honda now how a challenge with the Civic Type R, so I guess will Ariel.  I'm referring to the much lower red-line, and so less charismatic engine.

That said one of the engine's I liked the most in recent times was a turbo charged 2litre.... loved the way you could feel and hear the boost building.  However I like the direct nature of the current Atom, it goes hand in hand with the lack of weight and inertia free feel.
[/quote]

LOL, I can tell you for a fact the New Type R's engine has a charisma all of its own!......306 bhp of lurvliness standard.