3.5 projector lamps and driving abroad

phil4

3.5 projector lamps and driving abroad

Post by phil4 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:17 pm

From memory headlamp correctors are required when driving abroad. 

On the 3.5 projector lamps, has anyone found and fitted any?  On "normal" cars they're quite easy to find and fit on the headlamp cover, but of course we don't have a cover.

Any thoughts?

TIA

AtomMadStew

Re: 3.5 projector lamps and driving abroad

Post by AtomMadStew » Sun May 03, 2015 7:36 pm

do the atoms projector lamps need any?
A lot of projector Lamps don't need them as they lack the "kick up" of the beam to the Nearside.
Check with your lights against a wall.
stew

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Tue May 05, 2015 1:12 pm

[quote="Atomstew"]
do the atoms projector lamps need any?
A lot of projector Lamps don't need them as they lack the "kick up" of the beam to the Nearside.
Check with your lights against a wall.
stew
[/quote]

:tu: This....

bodnet

Post by bodnet » Fri May 15, 2015 9:13 pm

[quote="phil4"]
[/quote]

Going off topic already, with the 'rubber bucket' headlights i just assumed that they so rarely point in the correct direction that headlamp correctors were pointless  ;D

Bod
05 Red 160 in Bristol, UK
MG ZT-T V8, Smart ForTwo...
Oh yeah and the day job involves 2x 2250bhp V16 quad-turbo MTU diesels! :)

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Fri May 15, 2015 9:26 pm

[quote="Bod :)"]
[quote="phil4"]
[/quote]

Going off topic already, with the 'rubber bucket' headlights i just assumed that they so rarely point in the correct direction that headlamp correctors were pointless  ;D

Bod
[/quote]

You have a point Bod  :wize:
Stew

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would resurrect his one.

Has anyone found any further info on this?
Ariel can offer left hand drive units to replace the existing low beam units but at £120 each (and I assume two would be needed) I would hope there would be a friendlier option.

As a suggestion could these be thought of similar to the 'club catalyst' and used/rented by club members as needed if purchased by the club?

S.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:45 pm

I've just been looking in to the headlamps as I'm currently working on my own design.

Basically the low beam lamp used by Ariel in the assembly comes in a LHD or a RHD version. The assembly itself is mounted on adjustable springs so you can adjust the angle the lamp points at.

The lamp is supposed to be fitted pointing straight, and the internal reflector then angles the beam to the desired side. However in my research I've come across assemblies where the LHD lamp has been used on an RHD car and the springs have just been adjusted to angle the whole assemble to one side. This leads to the lamp not being completely flush at the front but does the trick. The owners of cars I picked this up on did not even realise the lamp was sitting at an angle, and just (as did I initially) think that's the way it was meant to be and a case of bad fitting. It was only after I disassembled the fitting I realised that incorrect lamps were being used.

As such if you dont have OCD then you can just adjust the springs to adjust the lamp temporarily. Or if you do want the proper lamps to convert then I can source them for you significantly cheaper. I'm just rebuilding my site at the moment and will have a lot of these components (including lighting parts) up for sale so owners dont have to replace the full assembly if they just crack a lens etc.

I'll post some pics up in a bit.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:09 pm

The lamps used are Hella, and should have a number on the front on the plastic black outer ring. The RHD lamps should have 10894 on them. If you have 10895 it is a LHD lamp and if facing straight, the throw of the light will be wrong.

I have come across 1 instance of a 10894 sitting flush on a UK Atom that according to the owner had never been abroad, and a few sitting at an angle. I only noticed this recently so not sure how common the issue is. I wonder if someones driving around with 1 of each.

Also you can get a version of the lamp that has symmetrical light distribution.

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:50 am

Great information. Thank you hamtt.
I'll keep an eye on your website and when the weather is a bit warmer I'll check out the light assembly.
S.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:41 am

Just realised a mistake above, 10894 and 10895 are the other way around, got them mixed up when I was trying to recall off the top of my head:

10895 - For Left Hand TRAFFIC use (RHD Cars usually, UK etc use)
10894 - For Right Hand TRAFFIC use (LHD Cars usually, continental Europe use).