Protective film replacement (and vector file to share)

lauri

Protective film replacement (and vector file to share)

Post by lauri » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:57 am

I had the protective film replaced on my Atom. The old ones looked worn, had a few loose ends and bubbles.

I did both the ones that are on chassis tubes (for getting in/out) and the wishbones.

Materials and time
The plastic film the shop used is 3M's PUL 1212, which apparently is the high end protective plastic film (http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/248090O/pul-1212-3mtm-high-performance-protective-film.PDF?&6EVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--). The material cost was about 55 EUR.

The time for removing old ones, thoroughly cleaning off the glue and applying new ones was about 1h20m by a highly skilled person. Applying the two chassis films required a tiny bit of heat and shaping, the other ones were straightforward.

The sun luckily hadn't unevenly washed out the paint, so there were no exact line matching worries and the protective film looks like new again.

Dimensions
I lifted the shape using masking tape and then measured it the best I could, which was then turned into a vector file.The film was pre-cut to my specifications using a CNC cutter.

Code: Select all

Chassis tube protection - left:
 * length: 762mm
 * width: 90mm
 * corners: rounded
 * corner radius: 7mm
 * bend: the centreline is shifted outwards by 10mm
 * quantity: 1x

Chassis tube protection - right:
 * length: 762mm
 * width: 90mm
 * corners: rounded
 * corner radius: 7mm
 * bend: the centreline is shifted outwards by 10mm (mirrored compared to the other one)
 * quantity: 1x

The two ones above are on a compound curved tube and centreline bend could be optimised a bit, but the chap who applied it made it look effortless nevertheless. 

Wishbone protection 380x65:
 * e2e length: 380mm
 * width: 65mm
 * end A: rounded outwards, radius slightly larger than the width (was modelled based on a photo I took)
 * end B: rounded inwards, radius slightly larger than the width (was modelled based on a photo I took) 
 * bend: none, it's straight
 * quantity: 6x

Wishbone protection 460x65:
 * e2e length: 460mm
 * width: 65mm
 * end A: rounded outwards, radius slightly larger than the width (was modelled based on a photo I took)
 * end B: rounded inwards, radius slightly larger than the width (was modelled based on a photo I took) 
 * bend: none, it's straight
 * quantity: 2x
Vector file
The vector file is attached.
Attachments
Ariel_Atom_protective_film.pdf
(5.92 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Last edited by lauri on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Protective film replacement (and vector file to share)

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Very useful information Lauri - thanks for sharing  :tu:
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

lauri

Re: Protective film replacement (and vector file to share)

Post by lauri » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:39 pm

No problem, happy to share.