Charge/Condition

phil4

Charge/Condition

Post by phil4 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:14 pm

As mentioned here:
http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,15447.0.html

CTEK chargers have a setting for car or bike.  I noticed the Atom battery is on the very small side, so use Bike mode... however, am I correct in doing this?

TIA

smokin

Re: Charge/Condition

Post by smokin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi Phil,

I believe for AGM batteries (like the ones in the Atom) it's the 3Amp+ car option. Can't see bike mode doing any harm, it'll just take longer.
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

CAS983

Post by CAS983 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:29 pm

have always had mine on bike mode with no problems at all !

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks to you both.

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:18 pm

I have the exact unit, permanently wired, in car mode on my Atom.....no issues in 2 years  :)

Touch wood.....has started first time, every time!

DanSki

Post by DanSki » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:53 am

Do you need one of these if you leave the electrics cut off whilst the car stands during the winter months? By cut off, I mean having the red plug out, which as far as I'm aware, disconnects all the electrics in the car?

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:32 am

DanSki wrote: Do you need one of these if you leave the electrics cut off whilst the car stands during the winter months? By cut off, I mean having the red plug out, which as far as I'm aware, disconnects all the electrics in the car?

Does the switch disconnect the immobiliser? IF so then I would think not - But its still good as a slow trickle charger to keep the gel battery topped up....

Its not good to let a gel battery run dead flat......They dont recover as well as lead acid. But as always there is always the exception as I have recovered a dead flat gel unit. It is less likely though. So its a good idea to keep your gel battery from going dead flat.

DanSki

Post by DanSki » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:29 pm

Thanks meladdo - not sure if it disables the immobiliser. It's the standard factory fit "racing red cut off key/switch" that is just to the right of the bonnet. I always have to disengage the immobiliser after taking the switch out, so unless the immobiliser is set to automatically activate as soon as it gets power

Anyway, I've ordered one just to be on the safe side. Ordered this one, which seems to get good reviews all round http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FC42HAA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 - are they straight forward to connect to the car? Straight onto the battery?

I do have a small connector hanging in the passenger footwell that I recall someone say could be a connection for a slow charger - would that make sense? I can take a picture if it helps.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:34 am

I do have a small connector hanging in the passenger footwell that I recall someone say could be a connection for a slow charger - would that make sense? I can take a picture if it helps.

Thats where the factory dangle their charge connector - I fitted mine myself using the kit that came with my charger and its the same as the factory as I understand.

Mine is the OPTIMATE unit the 3rd one......they made and released as far as I know - here is the link to the battery connector and the connector that I used :

http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/motorcycle-battery-chargers/optimate-battery-chargers/optimate-accessories.html

The Optimate has the corresponding connector on it......Just have a look about that site