Gear ratio's

Blue

Re: Gear ratio's

Post by Blue » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:18 pm

is the quiafe sequential with paddles?
is there someone who already installed a paddle shifted gearbox to his atom (besides the SADEV?)
I'm thinking something like a MAKTRACK would work?

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:23 pm

Someone did fit the Quaife kit to his racecar  (user FieldL?)
Utilises the Honda front casing I believe.

Stew
Last edited by AtomMadStew on Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Yes my race car runs a quaife. Talk to Andrew at Momentum Motorsport he's the distributor.
I don't use paddles I had a solid gear linkage made. However I do use a Geartromics GCU with a full closed loop system for flat shifts. The Geartronics paddle shift kit would work easily albeit not cheaply. Still need it if you went Sadev mind you it's the same system. However Quaife uses the same casing and bell housing so you can retain stock driveshafts.  With Sadev you replace them all. To buy Quaife is about a third of the price than a sadev kit or it was. Sadev will run to €15k easy plus the parts from Geartronics at approx £5k if you want paddle shift. Quaife kit has gone up recently I understand.  One good thing though you can strip the gearbox without taking the engine out by all accounts, apart from the FD. Need to see if I can improve the ratios Quaife now recognise that most of these boxes are going in Lotus or other light cars and do a better ratio set now. 

Blue

Post by Blue » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:28 pm

excellent info!

thanks alot!

Craig Sams

Post by Craig Sams » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:36 pm

Just spoken to Andrew at Momentum Motors, he's recommending at 4.1 final drive (rally set) based on his own experiences with the K20, supercharged Lotus.

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:48 pm

ive got one up for  sale. was going to fit it into to atom, but with my other car build going a bit mad, and the fact i will need to spend 1.5k on individual seats i kinda need the money so i will have to let the gearbox go and prob but brand new from andrew next year.

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:55 pm

[quote="Northnoble"]
Has anyone ever changed any of their gear ratio's?

My gearbox is coming out for a refurb in a couple of weeks and I am tempted (if possible) to lengthen 5th and 6th.

Current feeling about the gearbox.....

1st, waste of time
2nd, excellent for acceleration
3rd, excellent for acceleration
4th, excellent for acceleration
5th, would prefer slightly longer gearing (but still use a lot on track)
6th......would prefer more of an overdrive for longer motorway sections.

Thoughts......?
[/quote]

ive changed my gear ratios, mine are super long. i mean 200mph long haha im turbocharged so can get away with it

8407jeff

Post by 8407jeff » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Since my previous post I have indeed upgraded to a 4.1 (4.056 Gear X) Final drive kit.  I can tell you that the engine can handle it, especially if you have a supercharger or an engine larger than the 2.0

I have a 2.2L (88mm X 90.7)  with an 8800rp redline, an RSP intake, 70mm throttle body, RDX injectors, Hondata tune, and a set of Drag Cartel DIC.  Even with this set-up, I make about 265+ HP with a conservative tune on crappy California gas.  I can break the rears loose at any shift an I have to be careful coming out of corners if VTEC has switched over.

The good: first gear is actually usable, the car is just as fast as before, the rear-end is less like to get away from you, and the car is less frenetic when blasting from a stop--meaning, you don't have to spend all your effort shifting and can enjoy driving.

The bad: 4th and 5th gear are seldom, if ever used.  I shift from 2nd to 3rd at about 71mph.  Third gear will get you well into the triple digits.  The transmission ratio's/gears seemed very long at first.  But, my trackmate tells me the car is about 1/10th faster to 100mp.

Actually, I do regret not upgrading 6th gear in the transmission to the taller .659 ratio available.  I was afraid it would be too much for the engine.  I was wrong.

Finally, if you have a supercharger I think the 4.1FD is an excellent choice.  If you have a NA2.0 the 4.389FD is probably a better option.  When the engine is out this winter, I may try the 4.389.

Craig Sams

Post by Craig Sams » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:23 pm

Are you on Sadev or Quaife Box

8407jeff

Post by 8407jeff » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:57 pm

I have the Honda 6-spd transmission with standard ratios, except 6th.  I couldn't justify the expense and hassle of upgrading the transmission for a car that is essentially a daily driver for me.