Rod Ends

Toilet Duck

Rod Ends

Post by Toilet Duck » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:54 am

Morning all :)

Does anyone know the size of the rod ends used on an Atom 3? I'm looking for the exact spec i.e what would I need to ask for if I was to go to a rod end stockist.

I found this site http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Male_Rod_Ends-3628-c

Looks like they do quite a few different types, I was wondering how they compare in quality and price to the "factory" ones, but I need to know the size/spec to compare. I think there are two different sizes on the Atom; "big" ones on the uprights and "small" ones on the steering arms etc

Cheers for any help
Atom 3 300

meladdo

Re: Rod Ends

Post by meladdo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:41 am

There may well be a reluctance to advise on a substitute from factory supplied rod ends, I mean this is not something you would want to get wrong is it....Even if ALL the dimensions are correct the suitability for purpose may not be up to scratch.

I would buy from the factory myself or remove a road end from car and inspect for any serial numbers or parts ID ref I doubt they will be on there though.

Or call the company and state the use?

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:55 pm

[quote="meladdo"]
There may well be a reluctance to advise on a substitute from factory supplied rod ends, I mean this is not something you would want to get wrong is it....Even if ALL the dimensions are correct the suitability for purpose may not be up to scratch.

I would buy from the factory myself or remove a road end from car and inspect for any serial numbers or parts ID ref I doubt they will be on there though.

Or call the company and state the use?
[/quote]

Cheers meladdo,

A mate of mine recently had to get some new rod ends for his Westfield and they were less than a tenner. Now I know they aren't the same as the ones used on the Atom, but that is a BIG difference in price. I'd lay money that the ones used by the factory are "off the shelf" items as well.

If it comes to it, I could always take some rod ends off the car and get an engineering shop to measure the thread/pitch/size etc, but it would obviously be easier if someone on here had already got the measurements  :)
Atom 3 300

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi,

The measurements are easy! It's 5/8" RH for A arms and a mix of LH/RH 3/8" for suspension/steering.

It's the grade of materials/coatings (PTFE etc) that's the tricky bit. I'll check mine this evening as I know there's a make/model/part # on the race and these were from the factory.

Regards
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:37 pm

[quote="smokin"]
Hi,

The measurements are easy! It's 5/8" RH for A arms and a mix of LH/RH 3/8" for suspension/steering.

It's the grade of materials/coatings (PTFE etc) that's the tricky bit. I'll check mine this evening as I know there's a make/model/part # on the race and these were from the factory.

Regards
[/quote]

Cheers smokin, if you could do that it would be much appreciated  :)

If its a '5/8" RH', I take it the 'RH' means right handed thread, but what is the '5/8"' bit for? Is that the size of the bolt (threaded part), or the diameter of the "eye" on the rod end?

Also, is right handed thread "conventional", ie turn it clockwise to tighten?

Thanks again :)
Atom 3 300

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:14 pm

Size relates to threaded part. RH is 'conventional' (to use your term) yes
Last edited by smokin on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:40 pm

My 5/8" rod ends are marked AM-10T which corresponds to these:

Aurora Imperial Male Rod Ends - High Strength Alloy (With PTFE Liners) 5/8 BORE 5/8"

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/rod-ends-bearings/aurora-imperial-male-rod-ends-high-strength-alloy-with-ptfe-liners

Looking at the dimensions the bore is the same as the thread i.e. 5/8"

On DT they are £41.90 exc vat. Last quote I had from factory (18m ago) was £47.47 exc vat. So not miles away
Attachments
rod-end-aur-gen-purp.jpg
rod-end-aur-gen-purp.jpg (14.08 KiB) Viewed 983 times
rod_imp_male-high-str-OTHER.jpg
Last edited by smokin on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for posting that smokin :)

Comparing the specs of the 5/8" rod end you listed and looking on Demon Tweeks, I reckon this is the "same" spec:

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/MS-10_5_8inch_Right_Hand_Rod_End_Bearing-98245-p

free image host

If so, that is a significant difference in price (over £20 cheaper compared to Demon Tweeks and even more compared to the factory)

jpg images

screen shot windows 7
Last edited by Toilet Duck on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 300

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Well at least you are considering all angles now and I suppose if they are identical off the shelf items then why not - I would be concerned that they were not up to the job.

Dont forget the lock wire and tool to secure the fittings too!

Proper tool here http://www.aircraftspruce.eu/safety-wire-tool-a-013.htm

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Saw those on the site you posted.

I suspect they'll fit but whether they're fit for purpose is beyond my limited knowledge.

Personally, if I can find the same item cheaper elsewhere (and I stress same) then I will source it on the open market but trust the R&D the factory has done and experience it's gained. I'll probably use DT for the rod ends but they'll be the same ones the factory fits.

What was the saying? Buy cheap, buy twice.

If you go down the bearingboys route let us know how you get on

Cheers

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:24 pm

[quote="smokin"]
Saw those on the site you posted.

I suspect they'll fit but whether they're fit for purpose is beyond my limited knowledge.

Personally, if I can find the same item cheaper elsewhere (and I stress same) then I will source it on the open market but trust the R&D the factory has done and experience it's gained. I'll probably use DT for the rod ends but they'll be the same ones the factory fits.

What was the saying? Buy cheap, buy twice.

If you go down the bearingboys route let us know how you get on

Cheers
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not looking just to save a few pennies just for the sake of it, I'm happy buying supplies/consumables from the factory. Its just that Ariel don't make the rod ends themselves, they are an off the shelf part so they must order them in from a supplier somewhere. Circa £50 seems expensive for a rod end to me, especially when those used on my mates Westfield are under a tenner.

Like you, I'm not qualified to say whether the ones I linked to are "fit for purpose", but from a laymans point of view and comparing the materials/description, I reckon there is a very high probability that they would be fine to use. I don't actually need to replace any rod ends at the moment, but I might order one to have a look at and fit for a trial.

:)
Atom 3 300

ChuckUK

Post by ChuckUK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Good to see more stuff being sourced, if only the factory would sell things at a sensible price  :-

I think last item I got a price for was two vinyl decals, something like £28, in the end I got off ebay for 4£ each !!!

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Aurora not top of the range either! Check out the price of these stainless babies

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/rod-ends-bearings/nmb-bearings-imperial-teflon-lined-male-rod-end-bearings

Matt_E

Post by Matt_E » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:21 am

I tend to agree with meladdo in terms of being very careful here.

Rod ends seem to require fairly frequent replacement on the Atom. Perhaps rather than look for a cheaper equivalent, it might be more cost effective to pay up for a higher quality item.

Regardless, good luck with your search.

Matt

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:02 am

I looked into this a while ago. NMB/NHBB are supposed to be the best ones, better than aurora and used a fair bit in professional racing:

http://nhbb.com/

Merlin in the UK sell them but they're not cheap. If you do a lot of track days it's not something worth compromising on really:
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/suspension-steering/rod-ends/nmb-rod-ends

If there's enough interest an someone can identify the correct ones I can try to see if I can get them at a decent price.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2