Inner Air Cowl - locking screws won't tighten

Alex Brandon-Smith

Inner Air Cowl - locking screws won't tighten

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi guys. Have been trying to put another inner air cowl onto the atom this afternoon. It's a second hand cowl so I knew it would likely need some modifications to fit exactly as all are slightly different.

I've had the inner cowl on and off a few times, hand tightening the screws to check alignment and then making further mods to get best fit but now 2 of the three locking nuts on the underside of the black panel are turning when I put the screws in, basically meaning I can't tighten it further. The rear most screw isn't too much of an issue as i can grab the locking section with an adjustable spanner but the one on the passenger side is well hidden under the panel.

Anyone else had this, and any suggestions of help would be appreciated before I call Rookie in the morning!
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

hamtt

Re: Inner Air Cowl - locking screws won't tighten

Post by hamtt » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:51 pm

yep, been there done that. I managed to get a pair of nose pliers wedges in from some stupid angle to hold the nut in place while I tightened it. Take the rear tray off and try to reach in from behind. I think I had the coolant reservoir out to get to it. But mines an Atom 2 so might be slightly different.

Ether that or just take it apart and get some epoxy on to the nuts that have come loose from the fibreglass to do a permanent fix.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2