HUD for Atom Drawing Closer to Reality

Jacob Potts

HUD for Atom Drawing Closer to Reality

Post by Jacob Potts » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:02 am

It is getting closer to actual and fiscal reality to have a HUD on our Atoms.  Here is the article:

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/MIT-Advances-HUD-Technology221303-1.html

There is a misspelling in the first sentence.  It SHOULD read [quote]A new system to project images through glass using nanotechnology could lead to inexpensive, effective head-up displays for aircraft Ariel Atoms, researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology said this week.[/quote]

MIT said it.  It should be good.

Jacob :-)

benyeats

Re: HUD for Atom Drawing Closer to Reality

Post by benyeats » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 am

Already got one (sort of)

My colleagues have come up with this:

http://www.cambridgenetwork.co.uk/news/ttp-brings-clear-vision-to-augmented-reality-glasses/

Just need someone to fund development

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:40 am

Give it a few months and you will be able to use Google Glasses with an app on your smartphone for a couple of hundred of quid.
Atom4 350
Jaguar SVR
Lives in Jersey so thats 9x5 miles and nowhere to drive fast

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:42 am

[quote="markwetherall"]
Give it a few months and you will be able to use Google Glasses with an app on your smartphone for a couple of hundred of quid.
[/quote]

Google glasses are not a HUD, they are a small screen that obscures your view in that part of your field of vision.  Really not a nice solution.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:44 am

I have tried a set and work very well.  I had an M5 with a HUD before I bought the Atom and would say that the google glasses are better.  The technology will get better in next version as well.
Atom4 350
Jaguar SVR
Lives in Jersey so thats 9x5 miles and nowhere to drive fast

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 am

[quote="markwetherall"]
I have tried a set and work very well.  I had an M5 with a HUD before I bought the Atom and would say that the google glasses are better.  The technology will get better in next version as well.
[/quote]

They are not a HUD like you had on the M5, they are a display very close to your face.  Not optically as good. 

I am not disputing Google glasses are good, but a HUD they are not.

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:14 pm

I had a setup on the Z3 Coupe. I would take the mobile phone, run the GPS/map, stick it up front by the windshield (screen up obviously) and the light would reflect on the windshield.

Works really well at night (forget it in daylight unless you put a coating with the right properties), trains you to read mirrored images and text (turning right was actually left, etc...) and the only problem was the G meter which would send the phone flying at any turn (the distance of travel of the phone and sound of it crashing on your window would tell you how many g's you were pulling)...

Day vision was the issue for this hack...