Throttle Position Sensor?

fieldl

Throttle Position Sensor?

Post by fieldl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:18 am

So I have a problem with my car there's no throttle whatsoever.  A few times on the track it's done this previously all ok and then nothing just sits at around 2000 RPM and no throttle response, switching off the power and restarting fixes it but not anymore.

We've changed the throttle body, switched the ECU, checked all the wiring and still nothing.
I have a Hondata Flashpro connected to the ECU and can see reading from the Throttle Position Sensor but the potentiometer could be faulty. 

Here it is:

It looks like an Ariel part?

I'll speak to Tom on Monday but need it quick time.  Any other ideas, we have checked the cabling with a multimeter and thats ok.  What else is there?

AtomMadStew

Re: Throttle Position Sensor?

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:31 am

Disconnect the battery for 10 mins see if that cures it. Is the battery ok?

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:34 am

Battery is a Varley Red Top that's only a few months old.
We've changed the ECU but haven't disconnected the battery.  What would that do?

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:39 am

Power down the whole electrical system. Sometimes can cure such a problem (sometimes only temporarily) but if you need the car urgently. It's worth a try.

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:52 am

My car is on a master cutoff switch so is always powered down.
Can't hurt to have a go anyway.  Reading up on potentiometers they can go screwy and still give a reading.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

There is quite a few threads on something similar but am unable to find them due to my poor Internet connection. Do a thread search mr fieldl.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:00 am

Search limp mode or stops accelerating

http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,12993.0.html

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:28 am

I've read all the threads.  It's weird as I don't get any error codes trigger on the ECU and I can see some data on the data logger that would seem to indicate its ok.  However all the symptoms sounds the same.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:52 pm

It may (should!) have a fail-safe design where there are 2 potentiometers, usually linear.

As the throttle is opened one potentiometer increases whilst the other decreases - If either one fails or reports an off-limits resistance, the ECU kills the power - This prevents the engine going to an uncommanded full throttle situation.

Have you traced the wiring back and ensured that the connector at the engine end is secure etc?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Ok so two potentiometers in the one unit would explain why there are 6 connectors rather than 3 we'd expect.
I think the wiring has been checked but I'll ask its certainly secure.  I have a race in two weeks so it's getting a bit urgent.
Will also talk to Tom on Monday to see if I can get a replacement as it's an Ariel part.

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:34 pm

Ok so today we took out every fuse, tested and replaced.  Along with all the relays.
Mmmm it seemed to work.  The car now runs :)  Although we have no real certainty as to why.

Any idea on where I can get a fuse box diagram?
Car is now off to the tuners to be mapped should be back next weekend for testing.

:checkeredflag: Looks like I might be racing after all.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:05 pm

Pleased it's running now ...

Do you mean a wiring diagram or what fuse covers which function?

Do you have an Atom handbook?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 pm

I'd love a wiring diagram but would settle for a diagram showing which fuse does what especially if it could include the relays. Found something along those lines for the relay box near the ECU but nothing else.

I don't have a handbook unfortunately.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:33 am

What model of Atom do you have?  The handbooks are different (as are the fuse boxes).
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:55 am

It's an Atom 3 albeit a Qingdao Ariel one. The loom and fuse box should be the same as the UK car.