Clutch options?

Spikey_head

Clutch options?

Post by Spikey_head » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:49 pm

My clutch is on it's last legs, anything more than gentle acceleration causes slippage and nasty clutch smells so it's time for a new one. Are there options available for something more suited for the track? If so, what are they like to use round town, or trying to potter into a tight parking space when some clutch control is useful?

smokin

Re: Clutch options?

Post by smokin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:06 pm

I went with Competition Clutch but there are a few manufacturers of after market clutches and flywheels for the K20A and its successors (assuming it's a Honda). They come in stages and the higher the stage the more suited it is to track and the less suited to road. stage 3 is probably the highest you want to go before it gets a challenge when parking and hill starts
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

Paros

Post by Paros » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 pm

I have just installed the Clutchmaster 3.5 clutch.
It supposed to be a combination between track and street.
I going to test the clutch this week with both street and track.

Paros

Post by Paros » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:07 pm

I have now been out on track testing the Clutchmasters FX350.
It produce more noicw than standard clutch.
It need just a tiny bit more clamping power.
I havent been using the car with the new clutch enough, but so far, it looks very promissing.
It still feels like a street clutch. Yes, starting from 0km/h is a littlembit tricky, but once you gain speed, there is no problem driving on eather track or street.

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Good feedback Paros

How is it in stop/start traffic? Can you hold it on the bite point easy?

Even with my stage 2 I find myself letting traffic move forward a distance before I dart forward and brake (but I kind of like it)
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

Paros

Post by Paros » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Start/stop traffic: in the befinning it was on or off :)
Now when the clutch beein broke in, it feel  best to just slowly remove the foot from the clutch until feeling it want to go, then slowly give som gas.
Yes, some distance before starting is not wrong.

Spikey_head

Post by Spikey_head » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:05 pm

The new clutch has now been fitted. Hopefully I'll collect the car tomorrow and let you know how i get on with it.

Paros

Post by Paros » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:19 am

Which one did you install?

Spikey_head

Post by Spikey_head » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:41 pm

That was a fun drive home from the factory in the cold and rain.

I now have a new Clutch Master stage 4 fitted. No problem pottering about car parks but it still has some bedding in to do so that may get worse. Haven't come close to giving it full beans either due to the rain and the lack of bedding in. Hopefully it will be dry when I next take it out to play and will provide an update.

New steering mod also fitted which does seem better, though I was almost exclusively on motorways, again a full report will have to wait.