Wheel bearings

Trigger

Wheel bearings

Post by Trigger » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Just cleaning the car prior to a track day tomo and giving it a once over. There is grease around the bearings - is this normal or a problem ? I had one fail on my previous car but that sprayed the grease all over. Also I should have the latest Porsche uprights etc. Just a bit paranoid. Any help appreciated.

D
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

meladdo

Re: Wheel bearings

Post by meladdo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:08 pm

May I ask what the outcome of this was? and what year was your 3 300 built, and does it have the uprated rear bearing carriers?

thanks

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:16 am

Car is a December 2010 car. Has the uprated uprights. I am told that the newer bearings do dribble a little grease out. They are not getting hot at all and no apparent movement to them so it all looks ok. Still not 100 pct convinced.

T

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:36 am

"TADTS"  ;)

:police:
I should add that I'm just quoting the acronym as a result of the comment in the previous post. I'm not suggesting that the factory have ever said this or implied it.
Last edited by John Scherrer on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:19 am

[quote="John Scherrer"]
"TADTS"  ;)
[/quote]

mmmm So If you buy a pre-owned Atom best to factor in the Rear upright upgrade cost..... in the offer price IF car was built before these were standard items....

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:31 am

[quote="meladdo"]
[quote="John Scherrer"]
"TADTS"  ;)
[/quote]

mmmm So If you buy a pre-owned Atom best to factor in the Rear upright upgrade cost..... in the offer price IF car was built before these were standard items....
[/quote]

Would be an interesting negotiation.  "I would like some money off for a feature that was never standard on this car when it was produced and has only recently become an option".....

Ben

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:51 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="meladdo"]
[quote="John Scherrer"]
"TADTS"  ;)
[/quote]

[/quote]

Would be an interesting negotiation.  "I would like some money off for a feature that was never standard on this car when it was produced and has only recently become an option".....

Ben
[/quote]

They are not an Option Ben - they are standard now...........and why wouldnt you factor it in when looking at new car price as apposed to a pre-owned car - its not like wheel choice - I am not going into buying an Atom blind, I like to know exactly what I am buying into........thus far its the only issue I can see and its seems relevent to a few people who have posted their concerns.
Last edited by meladdo on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:02 pm

[quote="meladdo"]
[quote="John Scherrer"]
"TADTS"  ;)
[/quote]

[/quote]
If your offer price is keying off the price of a new build, then I would agree with you.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:09 pm

For Wattie !
Attachments
TADTS.jpg
TADTS.jpg (1.33 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:09 pm

[quote="meladdo"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="meladdo"]
[quote="John Scherrer"]
"TADTS"  ;)
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ben
[/quote]

They are not an Option Ben - they are standard now...........and why wouldnt you factor it in when looking at new car price as apposed to a pre-owned car - its not like wheel choice - I am not going into buying an Atom blind, I like to know exactly what I am buying into........thus far its the only issue I can see and its seems relevent to a few people who have posted their concerns.
[/quote]

It sounded to me like you were wanting to negotiate a discount on an earlier Atom for not having a feature that may not have been available when it was produced.  Like trying to get money off a 1979 Austin Allegro because it did not have Sat Nav. 

The bearings don't seem to be an issue for most owners so I would not worry about them over and above other options that you may find on a used Atom.

Ben

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:20 pm

As Ben says, bearings are not normally a problem. I am a little sensitive as I had one seize on a previous Atom after the factory recd a dodgy batch - it was all sorted and the batch returned to supplier. Otherwise the only probs generally have been those pushing particularly hard on track such as using slicks. There are always the odd exception I know.

T

wasp

Post by wasp » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:51 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
As Ben says, bearings are not normally a problem. I am a little sensitive as I had one seize on a previous Atom after the factory recd a dodgy batch - it was all sorted and the batch returned to supplier. Otherwise the only probs generally have been those pushing particularly hard on track such as using slicks. There are always the odd exception I know.

T
[/quote]

FWIW, I believe mine were from the same batch as Triggers.

Also totally agree with his comments.

Blimey, I must have been out in the sun too long ;D

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:55 pm

;D ;D

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:32 pm

I've replaced three sets of wheel bearings on my Atom. (It now has the beefier uprights that Palatov made and it's done about 15K on them with no issues) The front bearings are the same as the original rears if I remember right. I replaced them to the last go around and they oozed out grease quite a bit right after they were put in. I have no press to pop out the bearing from the upright so I used a mechanic that does all my companies fleet repair and he's good but I thought he must have busted the new ones going in. I cleaned off the oozed out grease and kept an eye on them for ages. I've not had any issue with them and eventually the wheel rotated a little more freely but all is well. I check all the bearings often on my Atom.

The original bearings (Timkens) are not fully sealed units and they can ooze a bit at first. The uprated "Porsche" bearings are sealed and should not ooze any. I would keep a close eye on them with regular checks.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:44 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
I've replaced three sets of wheel bearings on my Atom. (It now has the beefier uprights that Palatov made and it's done about 15K on them with no issues) The front bearings are the same as the original rears if I remember right. I replaced them to the last go around and they oozed out grease quite a bit right after they were put in. I have no press to pop out the bearing from the upright so I used a mechanic that does all my companies fleet repair and he's good but I thought he must have busted the new ones going in. I cleaned off the oozed out grease and kept an eye on them for ages. I've not had any issue with them and eventually the wheel rotated a little more freely but all is well. I check all the bearings often on my Atom.

The original bearings (Timkens) are not fully sealed units and they can ooze a bit at first. The uprated "Porsche" bearings are sealed and should not ooze any. I would keep a close eye on them with regular checks.
[/quote]

It should be pointed out you are running more or less F1 slicks on your car!