anyone got a part no. for the alcon discs

speedmachine

Re: anyone got a part no. for the alcon discs

Post by speedmachine » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:38 am

mine have about 6000 miles on them and I can barely see they have been used at all.
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:28 pm

mine have slight hairline cracks. 15k miles

toms

Post by toms » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Sorry to butt in here, but these aren't £600 a pair!!  Current price is £395.10 + VAT.  As has been pointed out, they aren't cheap - but are very rarely replaced unless it's through accident damage or being run very hard with unsuitable brake pads IMO.

Getting AP to copy an Alcon part?!?!  :o ;D  Keep me out of it  :D Our Alcon man would go mental, the rivalry between them and AP is rather fierce!!  :fence:  ;D

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:48 pm

[quote="Tom"]
Sorry to butt in here, but these aren't £600 a pair!!  Current price is £395.10 + VAT.  As has been pointed out, they aren't cheap - but are very rarely replaced unless it's through accident damage or being run very hard with unsuitable brake pads IMO.

Getting AP to copy an Alcon part?!?!  :o ;D  Keep me out of it  :D Our Alcon man would go mental, the rivalry between them and AP is rather fierce!!  :fence:  ;D
[/quote]

agree the £474 is not over the top, however for that i can get a 2 piece kit which would be lighter, and if something does go wrong i only have the discs to replace.

the discs are comp, off the shelf.

the bells are not being made by ap racing.

did have a few conversations with ap, but noting materialized.

bells

Glen Belfast

Post by Glen Belfast » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:13 pm

[quote="Tom"]

[/quote]

Well apologies to the forum if my facts were inaccurate, however discs, pads and delivery to the Door was well in excess of £600  And I am positive Wattie would agree, No accident damage, Not run Hard, and Not unsuitable pads. 

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:39 am

[quote="Glen Belfast"]
Well apologies to the forum if my facts were inaccurate, however discs, pads and delivery to the Door was well in excess of £600  And I am positive Wattie would agree, No accident damage, Not run Hard, and Not unsuitable pads.
[/quote]

The Brammo Atoms used a Wilwood 160-5840 rotor on their 4-pot Alcon brakes. Same rotor for all 4 wheels. It uses a separate, Brammo-unique rotor hat to create a 2-piece unit. Here in the US, you can get a a pair for under US $165, delivered.

Of course, those won't fit non-Brammo cars. However, it does show the advantage of going with a widely-used part. I think current Atoms are offered with Wilwood brake packages - maybe a future Atom iteration could consider Wilwood rotors with Alcon calipers.

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:58 am

the willwood are a smaller disc if my calcualtions are correct - you lot (yanks) measure in inchs which i find strange..

anyway the willwoods are    279.4mm x 20.5mm

the alcon discs on the uk cars are 286mm x 24mm

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:32 am

[quote="dc5ian"]
the willwood are a smaller disc if my calcualtions are correct - you lot (yanks) measure in inchs which i find strange..

anyway the willwoods are    279.4mm x 20.5mm

the alcon discs on the uk cars are 286mm x 24mm
[/quote]

I didn't mean to imply that they could be used directly, only that since currently built Atoms are (as far as I know) available with Wilwood parts that they might be used as a supplier of rotors (possibly some other model) for Alcon calipers in a future iteration of the Atom design.

I would think that the reason for the cost and lack of alternatives currently is that a 1-piece rotor+hat is being used with a Rover wheel bolt pattern / spacing, and there can't be much market for high-performance 1-piece rotors for Alcon calipers on what are essentially Rover hubs.

Going with a separate hat and rotor means that any rotor that fits the hat spacing / offset can be used. The hat can continue to support the Rover hubs. Since it can be made out of alumin(i)um, the whole package gets lighter as a useful side benefit.

Note that I'm only familiar with the Brammo cars. There may well be some good reason why this isn't already being done, and that's the case I'd be interested in finding out what it is.