Wheel bearings

CalScot

Re: Wheel bearings

Post by CalScot » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:10 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="CalScot"]
I've replaced three sets of wheel bearings on my Atom. (It now has the beefier uprights that Palatov made and it's done about 15K on them with no issues) The front bearings are the same as the original rears if I remember right. I replaced them to the last go around and they oozed out grease quite a bit right after they were put in. I have no press to pop out the bearing from the upright so I used a mechanic that does all my companies fleet repair and he's good but I thought he must have busted the new ones going in. I cleaned off the oozed out grease and kept an eye on them for ages. I've not had any issue with them and eventually the wheel rotated a little more freely but all is well. I check all the bearings often on my Atom.

The original bearings (Timkens) are not fully sealed units and they can ooze a bit at first. The uprated "Porsche" bearings are sealed and should not ooze any. I would keep a close eye on them with regular checks.
[/quote]

It should be pointed out you are running more or less F1 slicks on your car!
[/quote]
Not any more. I've not run em in ages. Maybe two years or so and I am also not tracking the Atom but once a year. I'm now running DOT legal (barely) Hankook Z214 tires. They are Hankooks version of Hoosier A6's. Unreal grip in the dry here in CA but they will kill you if its damp or dusty. 15x 205 fronts and 16 x 255 rears.

wattie

Post by wattie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:06 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
For Wattie !
[/quote]
I just know i'm gonna regret this......I've asked Kel what she thinks "TADTS" means....but she's blonde and has 1 braincell less than my combined total of 2.
Image please advise.
Cheers Wattie

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:53 pm

[quote="Steve"]
[quote="meladdo"]
[quote="John Scherrer"]
"TADTS"  ;)
[/quote]

mmmm So If you buy a pre-owned Atom best to factor in the Rear upright upgrade cost..... in the offer price IF car was built before these were standard items....
[/quote]
If your offer price is keying off the price of a new build, then I would agree with you.
[/quote]

Yes Steve it would be :tu:

[quote="wattie"]
[quote="John Scherrer"]
For Wattie !
[/quote]
I just know i'm gonna regret this......I've asked Kel what she thinks "TADTS" means....but she's blonde and has 1 braincell less than my combined total of 2.
Image please advise.
Cheers Wattie

[/quote]

:OT: Wattie - There are FAR TOO MANY posetives here for us to sympathise ................ ;D :o

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:27 pm

"They All Do That Sir!"
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:34 am

Ahhhhh Zummerset speak!

Cheers Wattie

SteveTheMechanic

Post by SteveTheMechanic » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:16 am

My US 2012 Atom 3 with about 1200 miles seeps a little grease from all 4 wheel bearings, Factory said no problem