Fuel Gauge Fix

AtomFun

Re: Fuel Gauge Fix

Post by AtomFun » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:00 pm

One thing I've always found handy when dismantling electrics is a digital camera.

A picture paints a thousand words - saved my bacon a few times, that's for sure.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:11 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Yes, but you're an electronics whizz! I took mine out and there are still bits of tape telling me which wire went where stuck pehind the dash... Took me about 90 minutes including taking all the other bits and bobs off...

I think the fuel tank sensors are different - I bloody hope they are!
[/quote]

Perhaps I should clarify, removed the instrument panel only, not the whole dash.  Only one connector to the dash which has 'keying' in its plastic housing so you can't even put it back the wrong way round.  Removing the whole dash would be a bit more of a pain.  Actually two connectors if you have shift lights, but one is about 23 times the size of the other so impossible to confuse.

Ben

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:17 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
[/quote]
Are you planning on replacing the indicator switch as part of you widget?
[quote][/quote]

Yeah, if you are going to install a micro then you might as well use all of its capabilities, I am trying to work out a sensible scheme where a momentary switch could be used for auto cancelling indicators, something like brief touch for 3 flashes (a la modern German cars) or hold for a bit longer for 10 flashes.  Not sure if it will be better or not but easy enough to find out

Ben

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:26 pm

Perhaps you could make the number of flashes user programable?

ross

Post by ross » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:10 am

It would be really handy if SPA could include a digital clock readout on the dash.  Perhaps a quick press of the reset button could switch the fuel readout to a time read out for say 5 seconds.

Cheers, Ross.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:17 am

Stick one of these on http://www.sailgb.com/p/self_adhesive_a ... ith_light/

There are many better with more functions if you do a search.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:26 am

[quote="AtomFun"]
Perhaps you could make the number of flashes user programable?
[/quote]

Good idea that would be quite easy to do (actually I keep saying this stuff is quite easy, should shut up until I have put my money where my mouth is)

Ben

ross

Post by ross » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:27 am

Adds weight ;) , plus I hate just glueing random bits of stuff to the car.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:37 am

Perhaps Ben could design some sort of 'Head Up Display', holographic of course - it would be quite easy to do ;)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:39 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
Perhaps Ben could design some sort of 'Head Up Display', holographic of course - it would be quite easy to do ;)
[/quote]

Sadly not so easy or I would have done it by now HUDs are juat about the coolest thing ever.  They are the only thing that attract me to a corvette (although I think they are also on some decent cars now).  Actually I will have a word with my colleages in the optics dept tomorrow.

Ben

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:11 pm

Must be full colour 3D