Advice in making mounts for wing

Paros

Advice in making mounts for wing

Post by Paros » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:43 pm

I need advice of making mounts for a carbon fibre wing.
Should I aim at the same height as the original mounts?
What angre/degrees is suitable for the track?

This is the rear wing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180873903479?item=180873903479&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
Last edited by Paros on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket Man

Re: Advice in making mounts for wing

Post by Rocket Man » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:40 pm

the problem is the mounting lugs on that wing, they would need to be 318mm (i think) between the inside faces of the lugs but then you would need to make some way to make it adjustable unless you made your supports to suite the lugs and it was made to a fixed angle.
i would asume if they made them with that lug spacing they may be popular as a cheeper version of a carbon wing.
to make it interchangeable with the factory wing you would need to know the front to back measurement of the fixing bolts (think its about 92mm but would need confirmation)

I intend to make my own mounts from some 5mm ally plate i got from ebay, just a bit of patience and a good hacksaw
Last edited by Rocket Man on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:09 pm

You can just use this adaptor plate to make it fit:

http://www.skunkwurx.co/ariel-atom-parts/aero-kits/rear-wing-fitting-kits/carbon-fibre-universal-rear-wing-adaptor-kit.html

It let's you use the standard fitting kit.

Don't expect too much rear aero grip with the wing as most of the air that'll be reaching it is dirty air. At best you'll make the oversteer more controllable when the back snaps out.  If you want a lot downforce you'll have to mount the wing higher. However the amount of downforce you'll get is going to be dependant on the cross sectional design of the aerofoil, which you can't see in the advert. The downforce is generated by difference in pressures above and below the wing as the air seperates at the leading edge. The primary factor that determines how the air will seperate is the cross-sectional design of the aerofoil, not the overall design of the wing.

Unfortunately most wings of this type are made purely for cosmetic purposes and how the aerofoil will seperate the airflow isn't even a consideration.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:16 am

[quote="hamtt"]
Don't expect too much rear aero grip with the wing as most of the air that'll be reaching it is dirty air. At best you'll make the oversteer more controllable when the back snaps out.  If you want a lot downforce you'll have to mount the wing higher. However the amount of downforce you'll get is going to be dependant on the cross sectional design of the aerofoil, which you can't see in the advert. The downforce is generated by difference in pressures above and below the wing as the air seperates at the leading edge. The primary factor that determines how the air will seperate is the cross-sectional design of the aerofoil, not the overall design of the wing.

Unfortunately most wings of this type are made purely for cosmetic purposes and how the aerofoil will seperate the airflow isn't even a consideration.
[/quote]

Understatement...

If you REALLY want to generate downforce with a rear aerofoil then you really need proper endplates. For an explanation of why the wing on its own doesn't do that much, read this: http://www.f1technical.net/features/20279
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:46 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

Understatement...

If you REALLY want to generate downforce with a rear aerofoil then you really need proper endplates. For an explanation of why the wing on its own doesn't do that much, read this: http://www.f1technical.net/features/20279
[/quote]

Agreed the endplates are important but you need to be able to separate the airflow and create a difference in pressures first. Years ago in my uni days before the likes of the internet we used to trawl through hundreds of NACA profiles to find the airfoil that matched the requirements of the plane being designed and once the airfoil had been selected then the design process to control the air came in to play, whether it was with winglets or the general shape of the wing or other things.

I suppose you could just use a NACA profile airfoil and flip it upside down, not sure how much margin of error you could play about on a car with but on planes you had to be very careful the drag//lift characteristics matched with optimum thrust/speed etc of the plane otherwise you could end up with a horribly inefficient or difficult to control plane.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2