Maintenance, queries, problems

Martindms

Maintenance, queries, problems

Post by Martindms » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:08 pm

Couple of things as I am doing a full maintenance check going over everything at the moment and need to change at least one set of bell crank bearing. Does anyone know what options are available and what would people recommend ?

Can anyone tell me what the distance should be on the brake bias setup between the 2  master cylinder rods.

Last thing can anyone send me a picture of their throttle peddle set up as the previous owner has used lots of washers over the metal pivot bearing/spacer and want to know what the correct set up should be? 

Thank you very much

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Maintenance, queries, problems

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Not quite sure what part of the throttle pedal you are looking at ..

Does this help? - Mine's a 2011 Atom 3 .. There have been several modifications since, including a throtle stop ..
Attachments
20130625_235948_crop.jpg
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:51 am

[quote="Martindms"]
Can anyone tell me what the distance should be on the brake bias setup between the 2  master cylinder rods.
[/quote]
http://tiltonracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/98-1250-600-Series-Balance-Bars.pdf

Part Number    Clevis-to-Clevis Center Distance
72-250            2.50"
72-260            2.63"
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:55 am

[quote="Martindms"]
need to change at least one set of bell crank bearing. Does anyone know what options are available and what would people recommend ?
[/quote]
Needle Roller bearings - standard or race depending on use and budget
Attachments
Race Needle Roller Suspension Bellcranks.jpg
Race Needle Roller Suspension Bellcranks.jpg (22.16 KiB) Viewed 166 times

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:00 am

[quote="Martindms"]
Last thing can anyone send me a picture of their throttle peddle set up as the previous owner has used lots of washers over the metal pivot bearing/spacer and want to know what the correct set up should be? 
[/quote]
If it's Atom 2 (maybe add car detail to profile/signature) then you can just see mine botom right of this pic (scroll right)
Attachments
0030.jpg

Martindms

Post by Martindms » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:38 am

[quote="smokin"]
http://tiltonracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/98-1250-600-Series-Balance-Bars.pdf

Part Number    Clevis-to-Clevis Center Distance
72-250            2.50"
72-260            2.63"
[/quote]

Thank you !

Martindms

Post by Martindms » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:41 am

[quote="smokin"]

Needle Roller bearings - standard or race depending on use and budget
[/quote]

Mine has like a 2 piece brass bush pressed in at the moment are the needle bearings an upgrade ? Where could I find these from please ?

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:49 am

Ah, you have the PBBCs. The RBBC or RRBC is an upgrade and may require damper / spring changes. Check out this thread. Factory may still be able to supply replacement PBBCs

http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1541.0.html
Attachments
P1000150.jpg
P1000149.jpg

Martindms

Post by Martindms » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:51 am

[quote="smokin"]
[quote="Martindms"]
[/quote]
If it's Atom 2 (maybe add car detail to profile/signature) then you can just see mine botom right of this pic (scroll right)
[/quote]
Okay thanks I have added pic etc. That pic shows me exactly what I'm missing ! (Can't seem to add a pic from my iPhone) That spacer to the left hand side of the peddle. I will contact the factory or is this something you have modified. Very immaculate atom by the way looks awesome.

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:00 am

[quote="Martindms"]
I will contact the factory or is this something you have modified. Very immaculate atom by the way looks awesome.
[/quote]
It isn't something I've modified - was like this when I acquired the car second hand. Looks original.
Thanks for the compliment - it's nearly finished

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:19 am

If you get the needle roller bearings fitted you will need to get new dampers or the existing ones re-valved. Swapping the bearings reduces friction which helps the springs react to hub movement. This is a good thing! BUT removing the sticky brass bearings will reduce the friction thus making the suspension much softer. You can in many cases adjust the dampers BUT you won't be able to fully counteract the bearing change. You might be left with fully hard settings on the dampers being softer than full soft before the change.

In short a recommended upgrade, but not without cost.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.