Sticking caliper

Atomicandy

Sticking caliper

Post by Atomicandy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:29 pm

My drivers side front (mgf) caliper is sticking. The wheel doesn't move as freely as the other. Tried moving the piston in and out and greased the bolts. Neither helped.

Get a seal repair kit or just buy a refurbished caliper ?

Or anything else to try ?
Atom 2 300 Orange + Porsche 996TT + Gti

meladdo

Re: Sticking caliper

Post by meladdo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:56 pm

How easy is it to push the pistons back into the caliper? IF not to easy then you could have a damaged OR deteriorating brake line just on that corner possibly?

Unless you know what you are doing removing piston seals and in effect trying to recon the caliper yourself is a little on the risky side, a recon caliper would be my choice in the circumstances. I have done a fair few seal kits in various calipers and its always a crap shoot as to what you will get in the end and if the cylinder surface plating is pitted the new seals wont last very long in any case..

You may have had water in the fluid and so corrosion has taken hold just on that side? Bottom line is it Brakes! and you want them in tip top condition so play it safe.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:28 pm

I agree with meladdo - you can't be careful enough with brakes.
refurbished minimum.
Ideally new.
I know me working in the motor trade I can purchase them with the provision I send the old one back or a surcharge applies.
like getting a refurbished one but at a reduced cost because you return your old unit which they in turn refurbish & resell.
Stew

Atomicandy

Post by Atomicandy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Just an update on this.

I renewed all the seals and it was a fairly straight forward job.

But

It's wasn't the piston. The pads were too tight in the carrier. The pads had excessive paint on the edges which caused them to get stuck. Grinded them down and job's a good'n.
Atom 2 300 Orange + Porsche 996TT + Gti

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:41 pm

[quote="Atomicandy"]
Just an update on this.

I renewed all the seals and it was a fairly straight forward job.

But

It's wasn't the piston. The pads were too tight in the carrier. The pads had excessive paint on the edges which caused them to get stuck. Grinded them down and job's a good'n.
[/quote]

Tend to find that with aftermarket pads sometimes - they seems like they slap the thick paint on with a 4in brush.
Always having to wire wheel the edges.
Jobs a good 'un
Stew