The front/rear wing aero kits - effective ?

BillPayer

The front/rear wing aero kits - effective ?

Post by BillPayer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:36 am

Hi all

Brother and I are taking the Atom to the 'ring in July for a double trackday. Should be epic. However little bro is worried about the high speed nature of the 'ring and (lack of) weight of the Atom and is suggesting a spot of downforce could only be a good thing.

We are both well into the "danger zone" - probably done a couple of hundred laps each which is more than enough to be blasting round, but nowhere near enough to have the intimate knowledge that could be the difference from "lost it, recovered" to "lost it, barrier invoice" :)

We've bought our Atom predominantly for track use so whilst we don't want to join the "All the gear and no idea" club, is the aero kit a worthwhile addition for track use ? Really interested to hear any views from track drivers who have done the before/after.

cheers all
Lee.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: The front/rear wing aero kits - effective ?

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:47 am

Oh dear .. here we go again ..  :fence:

Positives :
A lot of folk think they look great, but some believe they spoil the minimalist look of the car ..

Negatives :
They don't work as the rear wing, in particular, is too low and is in dirty air ..
They just add weight, drag and are soemthing else to repair when you have the slightest off

Personally, I like them and have a factory CF front wing and a non-standard dual element rear wing mounted on slightly higher, extended mounts - I'm no track monster (far from it) and like them for their engineering, style and looks ..

I can't believe that they don't work at all and I'd love someone to sponsor, somehow, a visit to the science labs to prove it one way or the other ..

Here's a pic of mine taken at Bedford 2 weeks ago ..
Attachments
RJS_3379_adj (Large).jpg
Last edited by John Scherrer on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

BillPayer

Post by BillPayer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:55 am

heh sorry John, I did try and search the forum, nothing more annoying than asking a question which has been answered to death already.......

Wouldn't it be the front wing that we're most concerned with on the basis that you can't turn without nose grip and there's nothing to weigh the front down (relatively) ?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:20 am

[quote="BillPayer"]
Wouldn't it be the front wing that we're most concerned with on the basis that you can't turn without nose grip and there's nothing to weigh the front down (relatively) ?
[/quote]

...apart from inertia... brake harder!

I have alway believed that as far as the front wing is concerned it's the weight rather than the aero that plants the front ...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

BillPayer

Post by BillPayer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Yes, I'd agree with that. Long ago we changed our style from braking in a straight line to trail braking and you do get much better turn in. However I'm thinking my bro is more concerned about some of the sections of the 'ring which are high speed and the car has opportunity to go light.

Flugplatz, the crest before Schweden Kreuz, Pflanzgarten1 but more 2, probably plenty of others.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:13 pm

There's quite a few videos of Atoms around the 'ring including the Atom 500 ..

Considering the risk and mighty cost of any 'offs' - probably caused by someone else, it might be best to drive to survive and not try and do the 10/10ths option !

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Billpayer - wasn't suggesting you hadn't done your research - I was referring to the 'argument' about whether the wings work or not !

BillPayer

Post by BillPayer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:07 pm

[quote="John Scherrer"]
There's quite a few videos of Atoms around the 'ring including the Atom 500 ..

Considering the risk and mighty cost of any 'offs' - probably caused by someone else, it might be best to drive to survive and not try and do the 10/10ths option !
[/quote]

Yes indeed. I've written off a car at the 'ring (my fault) and had extensive repairs to a car (someone else's fault) so well aware and respectful of the place.

deepdiver

Post by deepdiver » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi Billpayer
nice to know ill not be the only atom at the ring in July for the DN event, my atom has wings and it slower with them on but ill never drive my car at 10-10ths more like 7-10ths and that's me pushing it.  it will be interesting to compare the cars, lets hope it doesn't rain eh!!!!.

George.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:24 pm

I think on the ring it is more important for you to look for a soft setup (hoping you have adjustable suspension) than bother putting wings on. With my non adjustables i found the setup being a bit harsh for the surfaces there. That was with heavy wheels though, Dymags has changed the bumpy feeling too.
I have sold my wings  because, apart for me thinking they are ugly as hell, I think the car has better balance without front wing, but difference was very little , I assumed it was more a weight thing than a downforce thing, but it felt slightly more predictable. I did not feel any difference with or without rear wing.
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:28 pm

:doh:  ok who got the can of worms back out. Please refit lid and put firmly away  :wize::roflp:
And johns rear wing comes in handy as a drinks holder at meets. (Looks so nice that rear wing john)
Stew.