Electrical issues - Dashboard doesn't work, can't start the engine

Veldung

Electrical issues - Dashboard doesn't work, can't start the engine

Post by Veldung » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:58 am

I have some electrical issues with my Ariel Atom 3. If I turn the ignition switch it doesn't turn the SPA Dashboard on (rev limiter and speedometer are not moving) and I can't fire up the engine. The lights and turn signals and so on work fine in the dashboard.
Any idea what it could be? I checked the fuses but they seem to be ok. Just saw that one is missing but since the car was running fine the whole time I don't think this matters.

Anx

Re: Electrical issues - Dashboard doesn't work, can't start the engine

Post by Anx » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 am

I had a similar problem with my A3, and it was a bad solder point on the harness to the dash - was a nightmare to track down, and the problem would happen intermittently... Simple quick test firs is to break out the multimeter and verify power going through the switch (just as a sanity check), then check the harness to make sure it's actually getting power.

Another simple thing to do if it is something like that is also to reach under there when the switch is on, and move around wires and see if the dash turns on.  Since mine was in the actual harness connector itself, that didn't work.

smokin

Re: Electrical issues - Dashboard doesn't work, can't start the engine

Post by smokin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:55 am

Did your check include the 30A fuses?
If you put the car into reverse with the ignition on does the reverse lamp light up? If it does then the switch is powering the loom ok
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK