AAOC Excusive Coaching at Millbrook. October 6th Introductory price £310

Other forms of gathering
Atom120

Re: AAOC Excusive Coaching at Millbrook. October 6th Introductory price £310

Post by Atom120 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:32 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="jon b"] though my footage seems to show me overtaking you on a corner  :o   ;D
[/quote]

Sure does... on my out lap. If I remember correctly on the long right hander and long left hander before the complex before the straight.
[/quote]

Overtaking each other in a corner on a trackday? You should both be shot!!!  ;)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:07 pm

[quote="Atom120"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="jon b"] though my footage seems to show me overtaking you on a corner  :o  ;D
[/quote]

Sure does... on my out lap. If I remember correctly on the long right hander and long left hander before the complex before the straight.
[/quote]

Overtaking each other in a corner on a trackday? You should both be shot!!!  ;)
[/quote]

It's hardly a corner - more of a bendy straight...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Atom120

Post by Atom120 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:38 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
It's hardly a corner - more of a bendy straight...
[/quote]

Yes Tim...  ;)

rlucking

Post by rlucking » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:05 am

I'm sorely tempted by this, but the timing isn't ideal, and I've been throwing far-more-money-than-it's-worth at the Land Rover lately...

After the bedford trackday, what with ending up facing backwards a few times and after Bruce taking me for a few passenger laps, I realised I could do with "some" training. I'm just not sure what.

The few minutes of "training" we got at Bedford was very interesting (he spent a lot of time pointing out what I was doing wrong, and what I should be doing), but I don't intend to spend a lot of time on track days as I'm not convinced it's really my "thing".

(I'm going to have to open another bottle of wine at this rate).

I guess I'll have to read up on the other training threads and pick one which seems to match what I think I want to learn...

Rich

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:09 am

I would still suggest track training - even if you're not going to use what you learn on track - it's a far safer environment in which to learn.

However, there are several courses where ex-coppers teach advanced road technique on the road and some of them are quite good.

I would suggest that you (and anyone else thinking of getting coaching or training) check with myself, Andy or any of the guys who have had a bit of coaching over time and make sure you're getting the best possible deal and the best possible training. Not all coaches are equal.

Incidentally, this course is now full, but it would have been a great one for you to do a mix of road and track on, Richard - as all environments are available at Millbrook.
Last edited by Bruce Fielding on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

skilly

Post by skilly » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:38 am

Looks like its going to be good weather tomorrow. Shame we will miss the Rugby though  :'(

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:44 am

[quote="Captain Atom (Mark)"]
Looks like its going to be good weather tomorrow. Shame we will miss the Rugby though  :'(
[/quote]

You mean the mighty Exiles 'vs Royston III or the other game happening later ?

Ben

skilly

Post by skilly » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:53 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[/quote]

Ben
[/quote]

I always remain optimistic when England play - I should know better but you just never know (That or I just enjoy being disappointed)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:08 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[/quote]

Ben
[/quote]

I always remain optimistic when England play - I should know better but you just never know (That or I just enjoy being disappointed)
[/quote]

England started to look more like a team last weekend and the Oz pack is weak(er) so England could cause an upset.  Just hope the Exiles can do likewise

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:11 pm

Well, that was a very good training day!

It was basically an introduction to the kinds of things that we can learn from CAT, and I have to say I was impressed.

However, I know that if I sing the praises of training I'll only get heckled, so I'll leave that to Mark and Scott...

sc0tt

Post by sc0tt » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:33 pm

Very quick post as i've just got back home after nearly 13 hours of driving, so i want my bed  :-\

I can't really  express how enjoyable the whole day has been for me. From start to finish, i have not only learnt a lot but i've enjoyed every minute too.
£345 might seem a bit pricey, but when you see what you get for your hard earned it must be one of the best bargains going. We even got a fully qualified mechanic just in case something went wrong. How cool is that !
Millbrook Proving ground has to be one of the best surroundings to take your Atom , its bloody AMAZING and IMO just going there for the day would be worth a couple of hundred quid!!!!!

The standard of coaching was excellent , and in fact the whole package was A1 ( even the lunch ).

Oh........ and i've fallen in love with drifting !

A genuine 5/5 rating for this package and IMO a must for any novice/experienced drivers.
Last edited by sc0tt on Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skilly

Post by skilly » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:35 am

This was a very well organised day at a fantastic venue. The instructors were excellent with a very personal approach to teaching, and wanting you to really understand what is going on.

There were 4 drivers and 4 organisers (2 trainers, 1 admin, and 1 fully trained mechanic who really knows his stuff).

Millbook does not allow you to make mistakes, there is no run off and if you hit some armco it could cost you 3k ! As a result you learn exact lines, braking methods etc. The courses are computer designed to push the car to its suspension and tyre limits, some areas make you understeer so you are taught how to compensate for that with braking techniques.

CAT could not have been any more friendly, nothing was too much trouble and I would also give them a 5/5 recommendation.

skilly

Post by skilly » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:58 am

Quite a good quote from one of the Instructors:

What's the difference between torque and horsepower?

Torque is how much of the hedge you take with you when you go through it, horsepower is how far you travel into the field.