Performance Driver Track Day at Millbrook

Other forms of gathering
John H

Performance Driver Track Day at Millbrook

Post by John H » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:10 am

Otherwise known as Hooning and Honing, which I always thought was a pretty naff name, so I have decided to amend it to the name the event organisers actually use.
The date I think best would be May 29th, as it's a Saturday, the only other weekend dates being April 24th, or in July on the same day as the festival of speed at Goodwood, which  might be problematic for those who normally attend. Ultimately it comes down to how many we can get for the specific dates and I don't rule out doing 2 separate events if we have sufficient interest.
I have asked Jo from Cat to post event details and pricing here, so once you have had a look, let's start getting some names and dates together.
cheers

AlanP

Re: Performance Driver Track Day at Millbrook

Post by AlanP » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 am

Surely Hooning and Honing was Silverstone on a big piece of concrete and the chance to destroy some old tires, quite different. The hooning suggested a slight lack of structure and the chance to go mad, the honing implied a chance to get your arm in after a dull winter not hooning.

Cat at Millbrook I would defo be up for please, though I have quite a few booked weekends.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

CAT

Post by CAT » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:11 pm

Here's the official information as requested  :)

Saturday 29th May 2010

An action-packed day run by CAT Driver Training Ltd at Millbrook Proving Ground.

CAT Driver Training is run by Colin and Jo Hoad. Colin used to work for a leading motor manufacturer in the UK as a Vehicle Evaluator and Driver Trainer and has gained extensive experience and qualifications in driver instruction. This includes being certificated to instruct at Millbrook. His life has been spent working with his passion: motor cars - from racing minis to the race preparation of performance cars. He has much experience of vehicles on both road and track and brings a very different approach to driver enjoyment.  He is also now one of the Experts for Evo Magazine.

The day is a fast moving experience for 8 owners and their cars to introduce the secrets of performance driving. Modelled on attendance at a track day, the itinerary provides an introduction into performance driving with 1.5 hours driving time across the day. All in the company of your dedicated instructor. It is designed to be informative, exciting and fun. The group size is purposefully kept small so that the maximum can be obtained from the day in a highly personalised environment.  Whilst waiting your turn there is plenty of opportunity to chat through how amazing your brakes are, whether an upgrade with the latest mod would add benefit and/or horse power or compare notes on your surprise at what you and your car are capable of without spending thousands of pounds.

There is access to the 5 unique circuits at the renowned Millbrook Proving Ground, a venue that is not normally accessible for ‘track days’ and the general public.

Activities designed for the different circuits are:
• Learn ‘threshold’ braking from 100+mph on the ‘Mile Straight’
• High speed driving, potentially to the maximum of your car, on the banked circuit of the ‘High Speed Circuit’
• Drive the demanding ‘Alpine Route’ circuit with its hills, and variety of corners from hairpins to long and sweeping
• Take on the tight, twisty and challenging ‘Handling Circuit’
• Put a car through its paces on the wide open spaces of the ‘Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron’
An instructor will accompany you on all the circuits, and the objective is to teach you how to get the best from your car and develop your performance driving skills in a controlled environment and at a pace you are comfortable with.

Short presentations in vehicle dynamics will help you to understand the relationship between driver input and vehicle balance and control. From this comes the appreciation of how to safely drive your vehicle at ‘grip limit’ within the controlled confines of a track environment.

At the end of the day, your new found skills can be put to the test in a timed ‘shoot out’ around a gymkhana-style course laid out on the ‘Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron’. This will be conducted in one of CAT Driver Training’s track prepared cars (normally a Subaru Impreza or a Caterham 7).

Included in the day are:
• Professional in car tuition
• Access to 5 unique circuits at Millbrook Proving Ground
• Mechanical support from a professional race engineer
• Lunch and refreshments during the day
• Timed end of day ‘shoot out’ in one of CAT’s track prepared cars
• Full emergency services on hand all day
• 1½ hours driving time with your personal instructor

6 participants = AAOC Members £355 pp
8 participants = AAOC Members £340 pp

Performance Driver ‘Track’ Day Schedule

08:30 – 09:15 Coffee, Introduction, Licence Check, Scrutineering, Safety Briefing & Objectives of the Day
09:15 – 09:20 Drive to Circuits
09:20 – 10:30 Mile Straight
10:30 – 11:40 High Speed Circuit
11:45 – 13:15 Handling Circuit
13:15 – 13:45 Lunch
13:45 – 15:20 Alpine Route
15:20 – 16:00 Understeer/Oversteer
16:00 – 17:00 Gymkhana timed ‘Shoot Out’ – Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron
17:10 Presentation & Debrief
Any Questions
End

Timings & Circuit order may be subject to change on the day depending on circuit activity

Note on noise limits ... to quote me "there is no limit unless you are a Le Mans Prototype or an F1 car". If anyone thinks they can compete at that level on noise, be sure to mention it when booking!

Payment will need to be paid in full by 1st April 2010 directly to CAT at the very latest (Payment can be made by bank transfer, cheque or debit and credit cards. The latter attract merchant fees of 1.94% of the value). A non-refundable deposit of £175 should be made now to reserve your place with the balance paid by the beginning of April. Note: this day is for a maximum of eight people.

First eight reserves that do not get a place this time will get first refusal on the next Millbrook event. Other reserves will be contacted about future events as they are planned.

If you need convincing about the quality of this event, here's some feedback from prior Millbrook Performance Driver 'Track' Day events ... you may recognise a name or two  ;D

"If you get a chance to do this day grab it with both hands. The patient teaching method even helped this stupid student properly understand techniques which I'd previously been shown but not fully grasped" - Rob Evans

"Absolutely brilliant day - have gained a load of confidence in both my car and my own ability. The exercises and tuition were absolutely superb (as expected!), giving a great handle on the car's brakes and grip limits, as well as tons of handy hints that I've stored away for future use. Looking forward to putting it to good use round the 'Ring next month! I'll definitely be back next year" - Suzy Wallace

"Yes I must say, another fantastic day, there is a fair bit of hanging around, but when you are out you are getting great one on one training at, surely, the best venue in the country!" - Alan Pomroy

"I can honestly say that before this day everything I thought I knew about driving was pretty much rubbish. Nick was my instructor and the things he showed me are absolutely awesome." - Andy Horrigan

"You all taught me so much, and you were all full of so much knowledge and information." - Stacey Wells

"Great day .... Colin, Jo and Nick always make sure it's a proper fun day. Can't praise Colin's instructor skills highly enough. Colin is the consummate professional, always focusing on the lesson and moving his students on no matter what ability (or lack of) and has no fear!" - Dom Amor

"Excellent day, well worth travelling. Thanks to all staff." - Derek Orr

Note that if we get enough reserves to put on another event we’ll look at holding another course this year, so even though the list might be full please do shout if you are interested!

Potential Reserves

Any questions, just shout.

Jo
Attachments
millbrook mlr.jpg
Last edited by CAT on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Jo Great to see you guys are doing stuff for the Atom!

The GTR is sold and is being picked up Tuesday, hopefully i will have an atom fairly soon....;) It would be great to spend the day with Colin, Nick and yourself again soon

Folks,

Time wih CAT at Millbrook stood me in excellent stead to reach the final of Nissan Race Academy this year.

I cannot speak highly enough about the professionalism of these guys.........

If i have a car by then i will DEFO be at this, just to start my Atom ownership off on the right foot.

Regards

ScottyB

CAT

Post by CAT » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:54 pm

[quote="ScottyB"]
The GTR is sold and is being picked up Tuesday, hopefully i will have an atom fairly soon....;) [/quote]
:H: Wow ... you'll have to tell me the story when I see you ... hope you got what you wanted out of R35 ownership. 

You know we'd love to see you again and hope you're able to find one in time. 

Jo

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:02 pm

[quote="ScottyB"]

. . . . hopefully i will have an atom fairly soon....;) . . . .

If i have a car by then i will DEFO be at this, just to start my Atom ownership off on the right foot.

Regards

ScottyB
[/quote]

I take it that means you have one on order and delivery is imminent.  :tu:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:08 pm

[quote="CAT"]
[quote="ScottyB"]
The GTR is sold and is being picked up Tuesday, hopefully i will have an atom fairly soon....;) [/quote]
:H: Wow ... you'll have to tell me the story when I see you ... hope you got what you wanted out of R35 ownership. 

You know we'd love to see you again and hope you're able to find one in time. 

Jo
[/quote]

Hi Jo,

I think i got everything i could out of the GTR. It was certainly pushed hard as poor Nick found out...lol

I had a hard decision to make the cost of tracking the GTR was crazy and after race academy i have really gotten the bug for a car that does not have all the toys and needs me to make it go fast.

I must admit i had loads of fun in the Cate***m last time i was with you guys.

The atom seemed a real clever choice, no ABS, no trick traction control, something that will really test me....;)

Sadly Nick and i won't be able to better our bowl top speed record in this but it will hopefully be much quicker round the Alpine route and handling circuit......;)

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:10 pm

[quote="Alec"]
[quote="ScottyB"]

. . . . hopefully i will have an atom fairly soon....;) . . . .

Regards

ScottyB
[/quote]

I take it that means you have one on order and delivery is imminent.  :tu:
[/quote]

Hi Alec,

Made an offer on a second hand 300 today, and have left a message with another seller about his.

Cash waiting so hopefully have a car fairly quickly....

John H

Post by John H » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 pm

Alan P, yes you are correct.....H&H was Silverstone...it was Chairman Maoler who confused me.
Anyway, dates for the Cat driver training at Milbrook are as follows
Saturday 24 April
Monday 17 May
Saturday 29 May
Tuesday 1 June
Saturday 3 July

If we can decide on one.......as I know it has been suggested that we do one earlier rather than later for those of you with rusty rings to blow off your cobwebs etc etc. (not a problem I personally have as I still go to track in winter), then I will book it up with Jo.
cheers
Last edited by John H on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:50 pm

id be up for one of  the april or may dates

preferably the saturday

cheers

justin
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS

John H

Post by John H » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:07 pm

[quote="jpswift"]
id be up for one of  the april or may dates

preferably the saturday

cheers

justin
[/quote]
yep, I thought the Saturday would be preferable...........works better for me too in fact.

John H

Post by John H » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 am

Right you slack bunch of baaaastrards,
Can we please put a date in for this and get it booked up??????????????
April 24th work for everyone or not?
It's a Saturday.
I'll have some of that for sure, so
1 John Horsecock

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:04 am

[quote="John H"]
Right you slack bunch of baaaastrards,
Can we please put a date in for this and get it booked up??????????????
April 24th work for everyone or not?
It's a Saturday.
I'll have some of that for sure, so
1 John Horsecock
[/quote]

sounds good

2 justin teeny peeny swift
ATOM 4
DEFENDER 90
CROSSTURISMO 4S
911  991.2
R1250GS