Season Kick Off Run - Sunday 28th June 2020 (UPDATED DATE)

Where driving is the aim of the game
Karl V

Re: Season Kick Off Run - Sunday 21st June

Post by Karl V » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:50 pm

Cheers [mention]GraemeW[/mention].

I'm not so hot on this route planning stuff - I normally drive staring into Atom exhaust pipes.

:wize:

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:03 pm

it depends what you want to do? get to Winchester asap or try a few nicer roads on the way? Are you meeting up with folk at winchester services? If so that will be a good place to meet up or another non motorway stop could be found closer to Winchester. Id avoid actually driving into Winchester, nice as it is, its a rabbit warren of streets and traffic lights, it will end up like the London dawn raid

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:51 pm

Thanks [mention]GraemeW[/mention].

Like my efforts on the 2019 London Dawn Raid (as 'fun' as that was for everyone ::)), my main ambition is to catch up with other Arielists and make some memories for facialbook in years to come - especially as we should have some Atom 4s joining, not to mention Ian's new project (hopefully) and Stephen's new yellow paint job!

It's been a kak year so far by all accounts and I'm excited that so many people seem keen to get out and get some road time - inline with Government advice of course - especially on Father's Day.

We're gonna follow Bod's route from 2018 (chosen to hopefully appeal to as many people as possible) and Sven is going to hold my hand down to Winchester - from 2 meters away of course. He'd knock me out otherwise!

My job is to encourage as many people as possibly to join in the fun (whatever that may end up being). But if anyone stops to tear down a statue, I won't be held responsible! Just saying...

SvenTheHammer

Post by SvenTheHammer » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:31 am

Karl V wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:07 pm Sure Sven. I was just looking at Google Maps trying to figure it out, but I'm more than happy to follow you!

Does that go past where you were thinking @Mutley?

Should be quite a gathering...
I used to go that way, when seeing my daughter in Tadley back in the day. It doesn’t take long once you’re past Guildford, and get onto the Hogs Back.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi Karl, I was trying to save you from the M3 8) . TBH I have never been to Winchester services but I see what you mean about the route. But if you take the route via Farnham I could pick you up somewhere around there. If I can think of somewhere obvious where you can see me and not have to stop I'll say where and tag along. I guess it'll take you half an hour from Cobham services. Otherwise I'll make my own way to Winchester services.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:11 am

Sounds good Chris.

I'm gonna fall in with Sven, Tom and Chris (and hopefully Miles): "going down the A3 to the Hogs Back, then past Aldershot and onto the A287 which will take us to the M3 at Hook", leaving at 8am from Cobham Services.

I reckon 4 or 5 Ariels at that time of the morning shouldn't be too hard to miss. I'll be the one at the back ;)

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:27 pm

Karl V wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:11 am Sounds good Chris.

I'm gonna fall in with Sven, Tom and Chris (and hopefully Miles): "going down the A3 to the Hogs Back, then past Aldershot and onto the A287 which will take us to the M3 at Hook", leaving at 8am from Cobham Services.

I reckon 4 or 5 Ariels at that time of the morning shouldn't be too hard to miss. I'll be the one at the back ;)
OK, I'll head for the BP garage about half way between Farnham and Hook (Mill Lane, A287, Farnham GU10 5RP. On the right heading the way you're going). I'll aim to be there at 8:30. I'll work on the basis that I should hear you coming. If not, I'll leap in and give chase. (Actually that's clamber in, do up my harness, tighten the straps. Fumble for my keys. Undo my harness to get at the keys. Find the immobiliser loop, press the starter button, tighten up my harness again. . . By which time you will probably be at Winchester Services. Honestly why do people ever talk about 0-60 times with Ariels. . .? ??? )

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:35 pm

Sounds good.

I'll be about 5 minutes behind the four Atoms, panting heavily...

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:25 am

Ok so coming from Newbury where shall i meet you guys?
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:42 am

GPX route of main tour below. And if you prefer Google Maps, this should do it.

I do hope some of you are running Satnavs! I can't see the Atoms chugging along behind me for very long...

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Roger that Karl,

I will aim to be at the Moto services in Winchester around 8:45.

Lets hope its dry! :vroom:

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Nick's in charge of the weather. What could go wrong???

travelbug63

Post by travelbug63 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Sadly as tempting as it is I don't think I'll be able to do the full trip on Sunday.

My car is already at 650 miles and I have no date yet for my first service so adding what I'd guess is probably 150+ is not the best idea as I have a few shorter trips planned. Plus we have lunch plans

That said, I plan to come to Cobham services and show my face there, to meet a few of you.
Atom 4, Jaguar I Pace, Honda cr-v (dog carrier), Mini JCW (wife's)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:14 pm

Fair enough. I saw your pics on Facebook Miles - cracking looking car! We're heading off at 8, but I'll get there 15/20 minutes before that in case you're around and to say hello.

Hopefully you'll get a service date soon. Graeme has lined up some great Breakfast Meet runs in the not too distant future. Would be great to add another car to those drives ;-)

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:21 pm

travelbug63 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:17 pm Sadly as tempting as it is I don't think I'll be able to do the full trip on Sunday.

My car is already at 650 miles and I have no date yet for my first service so adding what I'd guess is probably 150+ is not the best idea as I have a few shorter trips planned. Plus we have lunch plans

That said, I plan to come to Cobham services and show my face there, to meet a few of you.
First service is scheduled for between 500 and 1000 miles in-case you weren't aware.

But that is still run in territory until the first oil change.